What's new

Angel season 5 (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Amen, Robert. I think I would personally put Not Fade Away as the best of the series, but I would rank A Hole in the World and Shells right up there. Hell, probably Smile Time too. That was certainly the funniest Buffy/Angel-verse episode, IMO. Once again, thinking about it, I'm amazed at how many great episodes there were in the fifth season:

507. Lineage
511. Damage
512. You're Welcome
514. Smile Time
515. A Hole in the World
516. Shells
517. Underneath
518. Origin
521. Power Play
522. Not Fade Away

Ten episodes that I would rank right up there with the best of both Buffy and Angel.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Season 5 was simply amazing, and I consider it the best Buffyverse season of all. While it got off to a slow start, I still enjoyed myself - Conviction, Just Rewards, and Hell Bound were really interesting - but once we get to Lineage, good Lord does it kick into overdrive.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Well, I'll say this. I'm not that concerned who is on the last disc of the series. I'm just glad we have a great show on a great format. Let's not be so picky. I think we are a bit spoiled these days.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
True. But we've got to find something to complain about on an otherwise perfect release (aside from the damn lack of "Previously On's") :D

...and regarding Previously On's, how many were there this season? I remember one on Shells, but were there any more?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

There were three. "Just Rewards", "Shells", and "Not Fade Away" each had a Previously On intro. But only "Shells" had one that went directly into the episode.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The beginning of Season 5 was not that bad. There was really only one bonafide stinker, "Life of the Party", but oh what a stinker it was. Watching them again without the trepidation about where the series is going makes the early episodes go down a lot easier than you may remember.

Regards,

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
It's amazing how the final seasons of Buffy and Angel were the antithesis of each other. Buffy: S7 started out really well with a cool villain, an intriguing story, and some really good episodes, and then stalled out just before the halfway point. Angel: S5 started rather slowly, and then suddenly kicked into overdrive and was amazing.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip

That wasn't too bad, but I thought the dream one where Boreanaz directed was a bit of a stinker. And Harm's Way and Why We Fight weren't too horrible, but definitely dragged down the excitment and momentum of the season.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I thought the PQ on S4 was quite soft. Much more so than s2 or s3 IMHO. Does anyone have both the R1 and the R2's of ANGEL and which do they prefer?

I am region-free, Pal capable btw... THANX! D

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

The R2 Season 4 set had a soft-looking transfer. It was a noticable dropoff from Season 3 which looked outstanding. Season 5 should look great though considering it was shot in HD.

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
I'm concerned cause I loved season 4 (other than Connor - ugh!) and just wondering if season 5 is worth purchasing or not.

As a side note, I did like the other 4 seasons (other than connor)

Thanks

John McM

Second Unit
Angel season 5, much like ATS season 4 (and Buffy seasons 4, 6 and 7) evoke either a love-hate feeling. Some people love it, some hate it. I personally felt in the latter, but it'd be hard to say why without spoiling.

All in all, I felt that the finale wasn't as satisfying as Buffy's was. Plus I disliked that so many major characters die

However, a lot of people think season 5 is the best Angel season ever, I much preferred season 4.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

No offense, but I'm kinda floored by that statement. :b

Martin.

John McM

Second Unit

well, without spoiling things.

Buffy HAD an ending, Angel was a cliffhanger. I preferred the ending knowing exactly where Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles and co. end up and that everything is going to be okay for them... instead of "I wonder how this resolves itself", since we're never going to know with Angel.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
John,

The point of the ending is that Angel never gives up the good fight. It wasn't a cliffhanger. Not if you really "got" it. :)

Martin.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Some comic book company (I think it's Idlewild) recently attained the rights from Darkhorse Comics (whose contract expired) to continue the storyline and also will be working closely with Joss Whedon, so hopefully there will be some sort of closure to that anti-climatic finale.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I'm floored by this too. The finale to Buffy was good but the finale to Angel meant so much more even with the ambiguous ending. I think people are so used to having everything little thing spelled out for them (like the Buffy finale) and Angel's finale was not like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks