What's new

Angel S2 cut? (1 Viewer)

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I actually live in region four land so I don't have to worry about the cuts, except for season one but I believe the previouslies are gone in all regions.

The reason I'm getting Angel from R2 instead of R4 is because it has the 'correct' A.R. (R4 is 4:3). I was still planning on getting it from R2 even before this thread about cuts, because I would prefer to keep my Angel sets consistently in PAL. Despite not having watched them yet, I have seasons one and three in PAL, so it would be weird having NTSC in the middle. The upcoming R2 price-cuts have changed a purchase from there, instead of R1, from 'hopefully' to 'definite'.

This whole mess with radically different Buffys and Angels in each region has really given me a headache. With Buffy, I decided in the end to go with R4 for seasons 1-3 (local version + was very cheap) and season 4-7 from R1.

One thing I'm wondering, though, is who made the dvds for each region? I assume they used different masters, due to the range of A.R.? It's just strange, as isn't it normally the case that one HD master is made, which is downconverted into PAL and NTSC? From what I can tell, it's very out-of-the-ordinary that each region seems to be producing the discs completely independently.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator

It is absolutely bizzare to me too, that R2 and R4 got different AR's. I mean, I know R2 got WS because they bitched that season 1 should have been in WS, but you'd think that they would have passed it down to us as well.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, especially since R1 got widescreen for Angel season two as well. It's almost as if the R4 people went out of their way to produce a 4:3 version.

Joss says that Angel season two should be seen in 16:9, so we in R4 - and no one else - get it in 4:3. Joss says all Buffys should be in 4:3, so we get S4 onwards in 16:9.

Someone involved with the R4 definitely has a bone to pick with Joss ;).

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

Carlo - You should be able to exchange it at a store, even without a receipt. Most stores have a defective-returns policy with the studios. I had a screwy copy of Music Man a couple of years ago, but I hadn't realized it was broken until months after I'd bought it. I didn't remember where I'd bought it, let alone have a receipt. But I went to the nearest Virgin Megastore, and told customer service that I'd bought it there, that I'd lost the receipt, that it didn't work, and that I wanted to exchange it for the exact same title. The clerk balked at first, but I begged, and asked to talk to a manager, and insisted that I was sure they could return the defective one to the manufacturer, and eventually they caved and let me exchange it. So, if you go to one of the bigger stores, and be persistent, it should work. (I'm sure you could just mail the floaters directly to Fox, but there's danger of it getting lost, or ignored.)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The cut in a season 2 episode may not be an isolated instance. Go here for a description of a similar (though much briefer) cut in season 3.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
TNT broadcast "Over the Rainbow" yesterday afternoon. The U.S. broadcast version does indeed go from the "previously" segment to a short scene in Caritas. It's no more than 10 seconds and contains nothing of substance. I can't see any reason to cut it; so my guess is the cut was a mistake.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks