What's new

Andy Griffith Show: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
LeoAmes said:
If this doesn't grab you, I doubt Gomer appearing will do anything but lessen your interest even further.

These B&W seasons are some of the very few in TV Land where I could watch an episode everyday for the rest of my life and not tire of it.
yea, i dont like gomer much either !!

it was amazing how jim nabor's singing voice was so much different from his talking voice.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
warnerbro said:
Amazon has this and I LOVE LUCY sets at 42% off right now.
I'm shocked at the list price for this set ($129.99)!!!

Even with a 42% discount ($74.96), it's still $15 higher than the LIST price for Dick Van Dyke Season 1 Blu-ray ($59.98), which by the way, usually sells for much less, not the LIST price. I figure that's a fair comparison since they both aired at the same time and both seasons contain about the same number of episodes.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Professor Echo said:
If memory serves, that was the last episode filmed, but not the last one aired.
Ahh, I've gotcha. I was going with how it was listed on Netflix.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
They know how popular these shows are. And from all of the disappointment online, but they probably already know it's because of the prices. Maybe if they come down more, the sales will go up.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am extremely disappointed in the pricing of this. As someone else posted, the LIST price should be $60, not $130. Paramount should be ashamed of this.
And when it doesn't sell well, will they stop releasing the other seasons? I hope not, as I am waiting to get a full series release.
But I won't be paying $600 for the privilege.

They also better be complete, unedited, and with all the bumpers and commercials. I want to hear all the Darling's songs.

EDIT: I just found the review (I really dislike this forum's search function) and I see that they come unedited with the sponsor's endings.
That makes me feel better that at least they are presenting these properly. Now if they could get a reasonable price point for us, I would buy.

bluray111

Auditioning
Real Name
blu
They used 53 year old 35mm film for this release, and ripped off fans of the show. With Lucy they scanned the original negatives

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
bluray111 said:
They used 53 year old 35mm film for this release, and ripped off fans of the show. With Lucy they scanned the original negatives
Interesting. So that seemingly accounts for the difference in pq. By any chance do you have a link?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
TravisR said:
Based on the HTF review, the episodes sound like they're in great shape. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/331312-the-andy-griffith-show-season-1-blu-ray-review/
blu-ray.com gave it a mixed review for pq, while still saying it's looking better than it ever has....

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Andy-Griffith-Show-Season-1-Blu-ray/92108/#Review

"The Andy Griffith Show: Season 1 hasn't undergone a full-blown restoration, but despite some inherent flaws Paramount/CBS' Blu-ray release looks quite good. The opening title sequence (and the product advertisements) frequently look soft and fuzzy, almost video-like in presentation, but the image tightens up considerably during the body. Here, viewers will enjoy a crisp, well-defined image, accentuated by a moderate, mostly even grain field that tends to spike indoors and lessen outdoors. Details are frequently excellent and often breathtaking in purity and complexity. Everything from basic facial textures to clothing seams, from badges and patches to small imperfections in jail cell doors, all look fantastic, presenting the classic lines and fixtures and accents of a long-gone time and place with enough attention to detail to allow the audience to truly become immersed in Mayberry. The black-and-white imagery shows excellent subtlety in the transitions between shades of gray. The image does suffer from light and very infrequent bouts of flickering. The main problem, however, comes in the abundance of dirt and scratches. While they appear frequently, they also appear lightly, rarely causing much of a distraction. Still, they're there and hardcore fans will be left wanting for a more fully restored presentation. Nevertheless, this is a borderline revelation considering the attention to detail and general stability that's evident under the 1080p resolution and a far superior picture next to anything audiences may have seen before during the show's original run, on reruns, or on lower resolution home video mediums."

Tooncy

Second Unit
I'm sure it looks really good, but with old shows like this, the DVD is just fine. Especially at the price point.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have to say when I saw the side-by-side comparison, I wasn't ready to throw my money at them. Of course I know it will look better than what I see on my computer, but it didn't blow me away like Twilight Zone did. Anxious to hear the comments from those who buy it right away.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw the show during its original broadcasts, so having this first season now with those character-based commercials before the end credits with Andy's trademark "I appreciate it and good night!" brought back my childhood in an instant. We would say it with him every week! I'm not kidding! And I haven't seen those since the original broadcasts. For me, that is what gave this package its true uniqueness.

I wish there had been some commentaries and recently done appreciative documentaries for some additional bonus material.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'm not one for really wanting to relive the moment of the past with commercials. One of the best things about owning a show is not having to deal with commercials. However, I don't recall growing up with sponsor based commercial with the cast doing the advertising. Seeing these as extra's for the first time on the DVD's gave me a new appreciation for this type commercial advertising and I am glad these are no longer just an extra to be watched separately but are now part of the flow of the show.

As Matt referenced, it will be nice to hear Andy's trademark line again "I appreciate it and good night!", While i watched TAGS a bit growing up in Northern Virginia, i spent six years in Charlotte, NC in the early 80's going to college and working a bit after, and had a chance to revisit the show. I'm guessing Andy has never been off the air in the Charlotte area.

While there doesn't appear to be any really new extra's, there is plenty to be found on http://www.emmytvlegends.org/. Whether you want to search for Andy, Don, Ron, or Elinor; or just search for the show and find tidbits on interviews by writers, producers, and others. A goldmine of information readily available.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I thought those commercials were on the season one DVD already? If not, I have them on some video incarnation of the show, but if memory serves, only for season one.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Carabimero said:
I thought those commercials were on the season one DVD already? If not, I have them on some video incarnation of the show, but if memory serves, only for season one.
They are, but not as part of the episode itself. They are extra's that can be viewed separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks