1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Andy Griffith Show: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Radioman970

Radioman970 Well-Known Member

James Perry
    No to Andy.

I've had one DVD on Lucy that skips on Season 1. But I already rebought S1 for that. I'm slow watching those, only season 2 I think... but if there are any more skippers I might replace those season with blu (or cheap DVDs). But otherwise, no on Lucy.

Yes to Gomer if they put those darn songs back where they are supposed to be! I'd love it if they had a trade in program on Gomer. Happily send the edited junk back to them!

Brady Bunch and Gilligan... yep! I'd buy complete blu sets in a minute! I already have s1 and 2 duplicates for Gilligan (planning to get s3 soon...) as backups. But I'd sell those in favor of blu!

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Well-Known Member

Yikes what is wrong with CBS/Paramount, did they suddenly equate Andy Griffith with Star Trek? And I thought the proce of S1 of Rifleman was bad. 90 bucks ???? When you can get the first season on DVD for under $10. I saw AG on Netflix in HD so I figured it was coming but I can definitely wait, I don't buy disks when they come out anymore in fact I might wait until the entire series comes out and buy a complete series release, I'm just tired of getting screwed on Price.

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Well-Known Member

I see Hawaii Five O the original is available on Amazon in HD, So maybe eventually but I wouldn't rebuy it, I'm sure it would look great but I'm not that big of a fan, now if they offered a trade in Deal and gave me a good discount maybe.

4. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I don't need to spend $91 plus tax on a show that I already have in beautiful DVD transfers. I can definitely wait until the price drops substantially.

5. smithbrad

smithbrad Well-Known Member

Brad
    I think it is safe to say that anything within the CBS syndication bible that has been remastered to HD, and that the series has either been completely released or is on its way to being released will eventually get released again on Blu-ray at some point. Why wouldn't it, all the "heavy-lifting" has already been done. I'd put series like PJ and BH as maybe's.

It's hard to say how forward thinking some of the other studios have been because we don't have the same resources at our disposal to know what has been remastered to HD and what hasn't. I know CBS (like most studios from time to time) has made mistakes with releases, most notably what hasn't been remastered, music replacements, slow releases; but I think they should be commended in regards to how they have approached their HD remastering. And we have received some great video quality within the DVD's releases, as a result. The Fugitive can't be that far behind.

For me personally, I will probably double dip on a few titles over the years. Not many, just a few favorites. But first I will enjoy the DVD's I own. Other than the Star Trek franchise which I am currently picking up in Blu-ray, the rest I am in no hurry for and can pickup in sales in later years (5, 10, 15 whatever).

Walsh61 likes this.
  6. JeffT.

JeffT. Well-Known Member

If one reads the HTF discussion thread on MAYBERRY R.F.D. (CBS 1968-71) it was mentioned that some of the tags originally featured on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS 1960-68) with Andy and Barney were "missing" in the DVD release. Fine. Will this be rectified in the intended blu-ray release?!Since it was brought up in this discussion thread THE LUCY DESI COMEDY HOUR (CBS 1957-60) episode "Milton Berle Hides Out at the Ricardos" (25/09/1959) came up "short" in the DVD release at a running time of (roughly) 47 minutes . Now something must be missing there! Will this be corrected?!Jeff T.

Ron1973 likes this.
  7. albert_m2

albert_m2 Well-Known Member

Albert
    I just don't see how this pricing model works. Most fans are not like Trekkies etc. Plus DVDs can be had for $10. I just don't see how this makes sense.

Frankly I don't see too many people rushing out to pay $50 for a set.

8. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

Yeah, if they think that people are going to pay Trek prices, they're in for a big surprise. Star Trek had new effects footage created for it and Next Generation also had to go back to the negative and spend a boatload of money there too. Between those costs and knowing that Trek fans are willing to spend, I can see a $130 MSRP on those items but that kind of price on one season of a sitcom is pretty nuts.

All that being said, the $130 MSRP is apparently not official yet so hopefully, they're going to cut the price (my hope is that the MSRP is cut by at least half and the usual discount on top of that so it costs around $45).

9. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Well-Known Member

You'd likely be better off. There will probably be extras exclusive to the complete series.

10. EdG

EdG Well-Known Member

I think I will wait to see if all the seasons come out first before buying. I got burned last time on Return to Mayberry being on the complete dvd set and the prices were a lot lower for the complete series instead of buying each season. I hope all 8 seasons get released on Blu but with the prices set I keep thinking it's going to be another case of wondering if CBS will finish what they started.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    92108_large.jpg

12. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Well-Known Member

i sorta struggle to watch this show.

i think i was in season 2, and sorta stopped my watching.

i liked elinor donahue in season 1. and opie, of course.

but for me, too much of it centers around don knotts and somewhat slapstick stuff.

at least up til now. gomer hasnt come in yet.

i liked it okay as a kid. much less as an adult.

13. LeoA

LeoA Well-Known Member

Leo
    If this doesn't grab you, I doubt Gomer appearing will do anything but lessen your interest even further.

These B&W seasons are some of the very few in TV Land where I could watch an episode everyday for the rest of my life and not tire of it.

14. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary
    Is this a thread about TAGS or The Twilight Zone? I have to ask because I find it incomprehensible that someone wouldn't like Barney Fife and the rest of Mayberry. Like you, Leo, I put The Andy Griffith Show at the peak of rewatchability. Regardless of the mood I'm in, I can always plug in an episode from this series and be entertained for half an hour.

Gary "of course I'm not one to go into specific threads and then proverbially 'rain on the parade' of that release either" O.

15. phenri

phenri Well-Known Member

Paul
    The first five seasons of The Andy Griffith Show are the funniest of all time IMO. The comedy of Don Knotts as Barney Fife makes this show a classic. I never tire of these episodes.

benbess likes this.
  16. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Well-Known Member

Glen
    You nailed it for me as well, Leo. I've been introducing the series chronologically with an episode at a time to a close friend from Germany who had no prior knowledge of it and she has gotten so into it she bought the Complete Series for herself to watch again and again. She's told me on days when she's feeling down or lonely she pops in an episode of TAGS or GOMER and feels like she belongs somewhere. Anyone who just sees it as Barney's antics or thinks it's slapstick-centric doesn't get it and probably never will. That's ok, to each his own, but this is one series that cannot be so easily defined and to do so is a disservice.

17. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I sat down and watched the very last episode a month or two ago when I heard Mayberry, RFD was getting a release. Even though the color episodes are thought less of, it was still entertaining. It's not slapstick comedy that you would get from Moe, Larry and Curly but it's funny nonetheless. It's something you're not going to be offended by. You can sit the kids down and watch it without worrying about an agenda or seeing something you have to explain.

18. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Well-Known Member

Glen
    Ron, was that the computer dating episode with Goober? That's a fine show, filled with character depth and poignant insight into human nature and behavior, a trademark of the series right up the very end.

19. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    No, it was Mayberry, RFD where that Sam invites his friend Mario to help and he winds up bringing family members along.

20. Garysb

Garysb Well-Known Member

Unless there is pricing similar to last year's complete series sets of Dick Van Dyke and Twilight Zone I don't see purchasing this or Lucy. I wonder how much a difference there will be between the blu ray and the DVD. I doubt the difference is 5 to 10 times better which is the price difference between the two formats. I would love to get the Honeymooners set just because it includes "The Adaption" episode, which was the last appearance of Audrey Meadows as Alice except for the last reunion shows, when the actors were much older and so it really didn't feel like the reunion shows were a part of the series.Exept i don't know if it is worth the price.