What's new

Andy Griffith Show Season 6 coming in May (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
DDD has a TAGS Season 6 up for pre-order. The date is May 9th. If this holds up, Paramount has the show on the super fast track!

Gary "wow, this one came out of nowhere" O.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I'm giving up after Season 5, but it's great that Paramount is continuing these so quickly. Now, if only they'd get cracking on some other series.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yea, I know what you mean Steve. I love the show and all, but I can't say I'll be standing in line to pick up Season 6 the day it's released. Don't get me wrong, picking it up eventually is gonna happen, but this might be a good one to store away in my "Wish List" at DDD and wait for a summer sale.

Gary "of course this info isn't official yet anyhow, but it sure looks like a legit release date" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
DVD Planet is showing the same thing.

I give Paramount credit for following through on this series. Fans tend to not like the color years, but perhaps seeing restored full length episodes will give a new appreciation for this era of TAGS.

James@R

Second Unit
I'll definitely be picking it up. The color years may pale next to the first five seasons, but they have their own certain charm.

I mean, where else can you see Malcolm Merriweather challenged to a streetfight by Ernest T. Bass?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
That's good news about Season 6 (less than a three-month turnaround from S.5; nice). :)

BTW....here's the back cover of the S.5 release (due Feb. 14th). No mention of "edits" in tiny letters on this package. So, that's a good sign anyway. Let's just hope some technician hasn't arbitrarily decided to needlessly strip away some of the laugh tracks for the S.5 set. ......

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I like the color episodes, it's a totally different show without Don Knotts but still worthy of release.
I just wish they get the Gomer Pyle USMC season sets started.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Don Knotts certainly added a unique ingredient.

Sort of a sidebar, I guess, but why did Don Knotts leave TAGS? Was it economics (the show no longer met his financial requirements)?

DG

James@R

Second Unit
I believe Andy (and Don) had initially only signed to do the show for five years. As the fifth season was winding down, Don was very hot and looking at other offers. By the time Andy decided to continue with the show, Don had already signed with Universal to do films.

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
James is correct about why Don left.

There was some speculation that season six would not come out on DVD since that's the season after Barney left and the show went color.

Seasons 6-8 have not been as well loved by fans. Although the quality did drop without Barney it still had some good moments-better than most shows.

Maybe they'll entice people by finally putting some decent extras on there like some commentaries and featurettes. Probably not since these will have less sales, but it would help get more sales.

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
During the last few years Barney returned for two or three episodes. He won two Emmy's for those appearances.

I've seen the b&w shows 10-15 times each and the color probably 5-10 times each.

We used to have a TV at work and my co-workers were always amazed that five seconds into a show I could tell them everything that would happen.

Yet I couldn't remember something that had happened the day before at work. :frowning:

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'm still trying to resolve the Season Four audio glitch. Tvshowsondvd's website says the contact number for the Paramount Consumer Line is 323-956-3010.

I'm gonna try to call. Those of you who have watched the whole set of Season Four already, which discs need to be replaced?

Peace,

DM

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the info for season three and four problems.

12/04/05 - More errors on Season 4! What's going on, Paramount? I recently received this DVD set and have confirmed what others had reported. There are no laugh tracks on four episodes: "Opie The Birdman", "A Black Day For Mayberry", "Opie's Ill-Gotten Gain", and "Up In Barney's Room." I don't need to be told when to laugh, but the shows have been timed to include space for the laughter. It just seems kind of weird without it. This is just another kick in the pants for me to get to work on a supplemental DVD with the corrected episodes.

11/06/05 - Well, folks... I'm back. It looks like there were a few ommisions from the Season 3 DVD set. The epilogues are missing from the episodes, "The Darlings Are Coming" and "Barney Mends A Broken Heart." And not only is the epilogue missing from the Darling's episode, but other dialog and even a song have been cut, as well. Of course, this episode is complete on just about every disc listed on this site (Yay!) so keep those public domain DVDs if ya got 'em. The epilogue for the above mentioned Barney episode can be found on an old out-of-print VHS tape from UAV Home Video. I'm considering creating a supplemental DVD that will include the complete versions of these episodes, but it may take a while as I'm in the process of moving.

From this handy site:

http://tagsdvdreview.iwarp.com/whats_new.html

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Thank you Scott. I'll be calling first thing next week.

Just watched "Up in Barney's Room" and it was simply weird. I hate that this happened. One of my favorite TAGS scenes of all time is when Barney is trying to remember the preamble to the Constitution in "Opie's Ill-Gotten Gain." The scene just doesn't play well without the laugh track.

Peace,

DM

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about that David. I didn't think mcnally.com was your bandwidth and thought it was given to you by the DVD company.

I put the image on Imageshack.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
My attempt at defending Season Six, to some extent:

There's no question that TAGS did some serious shark-jumping when Don Knotts left and, like Dorothy over the rainbow, things turned to color. But Season Six has its moments:

Am I the only one who thinks Warren is funny? He's no Barney, but maybe if he had been in it from the beginning, he'd be a TV legend today. He just had a very tough act to follow.

Also, a great Season Six moment is when the family goes to Hollywood to see them film Andy's story. Aunt Bee doesn't like what's going on one bit -- until she sees the attractive actress they hired to play her. Then all of a sudden, everything's fine.

Well, in Season Six we take our laughs where we find them. I think things really fell apart in Seasons Seven and Eight -- I mean, Howard Sprague and Emmett Clark really depress me. And while Ronny Howard was one of the greatest child actors of all time, after puberty started kicking in, there was nothing special about him at all. It's a good thing he turned his interests to directing.

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the colors shows had their moments although they were a big slide from the glory years.

But some of my favorite characters on the show still help me enjoy it more than the majority of shows out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks