What's new

Andy Griffith DVD box set? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Wonder if anyone has heard of any plans to put out an Andy Griffith box set on dvd covering all the seasons. I am a huge fan of this classic and well done series.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard any news but I would gladly purchase all the black and white episodes if they were released.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm in if they are done in sets by season and done by the studio who owns all the rights to them. (who is that?) The "Best of" sets out now do not have the original opening music and that's a deal breaker for me.

Peace,

DM

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
This series ranks in critical acclaim and fanbase,
just as high as some that have been released, like MASH, etc.
I would certainly invest in it if offered.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Count me as another that would gladly pick up Andy Griffith seasons on DVD. Of course, like Brian P said, I'd only be picking up the black and white seasons, as those are the real gems. The color episodes never really did it for me, with the exception of seeing Jack Nicholson make a guest appearance very early on in his career as an accused robber.
As far as rights go, you'd think that it would be a little more clear nowadays since outside of TV Land, none of the major cable networks are still showing it. A local station near me still shows episodes in the afternoon, but it's not the "All Andy, All the Time" trend of a few years ago. A trend which now seems to be held by another spectacular show, "Law and Order" on TNT. Is it ever not on? :)
That being said, it would be nice to own a digital copy of the kerosene pickles episode. Still my favorite comedy episode of any show of all time.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice to own a digital copy of the kerosene pickles episode.
I second that! :laugh:
That one was a riot!
"You mean she's making up another batch of those kerosene cucumbers??!!"
Of course, it's simply NOT possible for that most "perfect" of cooks, Aunt Bee, to NOT realize her pickles smell & taste like fuel. But, for the sake of the hilarious script, it's fun to play along anyway. :)

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
....isn't everyone?;)
This show is the crown jewel of the classic television shows! It has a very, very large and dedicated following and is still funny after all these years. There are several of us at work who are constantly quoting TAGS and reminding each other of funny bits. Talking about this show, exchanging memorable lines and discussing variuos characters makes us all laugh, without fail.
Just waiting for the full season sets to start being released...cause I'm THERE for this show. I also just care about the "classic" years (although I'm sure that the producers of this eventual DVD release will be well aware of this fact).
"I've been called everything from mad-dog to killer, but there's one thing I haven't been called....tattletale"
...I better not get started.
BRING ON THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW IS SEASON SETS!!!!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
If you ever get the chance to visit Mt. Airy N.C., do so! It was Andy's home town and they have completely embraced the show in every way shape and form. The have Floyd's Barber Shop, The Bluebird Diner, and a great Mayberry police cruiser. Every year they have Mayberry Days there and attract a huge gathering of TAGS fans from all over the world. I used to tour in Children's Theatre and that was one of my favorite places to stop. A great little town!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yes, the Barney years should be on DVD...
and David VP...in the Inside TVLand special
on the show, Andy blamed himself for his sourpuss
color years. He admitted to letting his
enthusiasm slip, even to not learning his lines in
the last season.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I too hope for a complete set of the BW years...this is my second favorite show of all time after The Simpsons. The best available set currently is from Brentwood, which features all 16 of the public domain episodes on 2 double sided discs for under 10 bucks. Video quality is quite acceptable (audio can be a little noisy but nothing too bad) and if I'm not mistaken all episodes are uncut with epilogues and original theme music intact, and NO "bugs"/logos onscreen at any time. I wouldn't even bother with the other discs available, as many are cut and have the fake opening music. Right now, the Brentwood set is easily the best bet for TAGS fans.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
...I'd only be picking up the black and white seasons, as those are the real gems. The color episodes never really did it for me, ...
Ditto, ditto, and ditto!! :)
TAGS is wayyy too popular (and too good) a program to be DVD-less for too much longer. Only a matter of time.
Any updates on *when* we might see TAGS in seasonal DVDs?
Those B&W shows are so good. But after Barney left the fold, downhill it sank. (That, plus the writers deciding to turn Andy into a whiny sourpuss. Can never figure out why they wrote his character like that in the latter seasons. And can't believe Andy Griffith let the writers get away with it. Surely, it wasn't Griffith's idea.)
Anyway....I'll be first in line for a Season 1 DVD (1960-1961)! :)
That season had many classics in it. .... The great first episode where Aunt Bee arrives....The "mysterious stranger" episode....Tom Silby's return from the grave ("You can't come back after you're gone, Tom. It just ain't decent!")....The Feudin' Families....And probably the BEST Christmas show ever made for a TV sitcom.
Then, in season 2, we'll get to see the young & fetching Barbara Eden as "The Manicurist" (with curves to spare in this episode! :eek: :))
My mouth is watering for TAGS on Versatile Disc! :)
Upon learning Andy has released dangerous criminal Emma Watson on a charge of jaywalking, Barney retorts......
"Now why did ya do that, Andy?! You know she's guilty! I seen her do it! Now she's going to go and tell all her friends how she got away with it! And people will be jaywalking all over the place, and disregarding Keep-Off-The-Grass signs, and everything else!! Why Mayberry will turn into a regular SIN TOWN!!!" :laugh:
http://www.zille.com/griffith/epguide.asp

Jo_C

Second Unit
As I recall, Columbia House did put out some VHS tapes of the Andy Griffith episodes via one of its video clubs for a time, and it was sanctioned by Paramount. So until Paramount themselves decides to put out a proper collection....

...well, you figure out the rest of this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks