1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

andromeda strain

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeremy_Z, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Jeremy_Z

Jeremy_Z Active Member

Wondering if anyone has seen any reviews of the new Andromeda Strain release yet. I'm looking forward to this release...especially since the old disc is terrible!

2. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Well-Known Member

The old one was 4:3 letterbox, right?
    What amazes me is that Universal is releasing a revamped version of this, and FARENHIET 451 in RM 16x9, yet, they are rereleasing BRAZIL at a higher price, and its the same old 4:3 Ltbx transfer.
    I wrote them about this and they had "no clue" as to why...

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Well-Known Member

The new Andromeda Strain DVD is superb. The transfer is very clean and the colours are vibrant and natural. The 2-track mono sound is pretty good also. The new retrospective documentary on the film was interesting and most welcome. The featurette on Crichton is short but excellent. The original trailer rounds out the this excellent-value package from Univeral - more like this please! [​IMG]

Gordy

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I'm really looking forward to this release and am happy to hear that Universal has done such a good job on the disc. The original DVD is really quite bad and I can't wait to get rid of it! [​IMG]

5. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    Gordon: Previous widescreen versions of this film, both on laser disc and DVD from Image, had a modified aspect ratio of about 1.9:1 instead of the original 2.35:1. What is the aspect ratio this time around?

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Well-Known Member

Hi, Dick. The ratio is 2.35:1, thankfully! [​IMG]

I think that it is one of the best sci-fi films ever made. Crichton's novel has a unique style - it was written as a 'factual' account of a 'real' event and even had a bibliography! [​IMG] Nice touch. Wise handled the material superbly, I feel and maintained great tension throughout. In this age of chemical weapons, the central theme of The Andromeda Strain is more prevelant than ever.

Glad you're a fan, Dick - enjoy the DVD! [​IMG]

Gordy

7. Jeremy_Z

Jeremy_Z Active Member

Well I received the disc today..a day early and just finished watching it. All i can say is wow! They did a great job on the film...it's light years ahead of the old disc. Finally, I can get rid of it!

8. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Well-Known Member

Is theis the movie where people's blood turn to dust?

--Anders

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Well-Known Member