What's new

And the 2007 Universal Horror/Sci-Fi Classic Titles are... (1 Viewer)

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron

I've noticed that a few DVDs have gone OOP like that on Amazon, only to have them come back in stock weeks or moths later, like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and one of the Marx Brothers sets. So, if anyone is interested in the set, it won't hurt to keep looking. I'm looking forward to the new releases but I'm going to wait until they are available on Amazon before buying, just like I did last time.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
At a measly six per store, I'm betting that the store employees scooped them all up at many locations and not a single one ever hit the store shelves.

But they're fine with having 400 copies of Fellowship of the Ring collecting dust on the shelves. I do not understand retail buying strategies, not at all.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
There was a heck of a lot more than 6 at my store. As a matter of fact, I distinctly remember seeing copies on the shelf no more than a month ago. Haven't bothered to check back since.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Does anyone have an idea of when they might be listed on the Best Buy site so we can start placing orders?
thanks.
b

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Actually that might be the best route to go, just ordering it. I know last year when the Karloff and Chaney sets, along with the Sci Fi set came out, I was at the door, running through the isles. And after looking for almost an hour, ask one of the clerks if they had any copies in the back.
So this kid runs off, and like 10 minutes later comes back out with a copy of each, looks at me and says is this what you wanted. I start smiling and say something about them needing to put the new stock out on the shelves, and he quips back , we did, See the problem. If it inst something that they are into, or they don’t know what to do with it so it stays in the back.
Personally if this is the only way that Universal can come up to take care of some of their classic catalog, I still welcome it. Maybe next year we will get some gems that they are sitting on, like a restored old dark house, and island of lost souls

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

It was at least a month away if memory serves. I bit and paid the fee (shipping was only $2) at the time since I didn't want to end up hunting around their store locations for it. Obviously it was money well spent based on what they're going for now :)

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
The announcement last year caught everyone by surprise, DVDReview broke the story and there was a lot of doubt cast on it because the announcement was made about a month before the release date. Usually you get more notice than that.

As I recall, the set itself was available for pre-order a few days after that at most.

I'm guessing we'll have to wait a while yet. Last year's release was on the 19th September. That's early for a Halloween-aimed release. I think early October is more likely this year.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
artwork is up at dvddrive-in, and it go's well with last years set, i know some will complain, but think of it more like a bargain basement companion to WB Cult Camp sets. Only problem is that since it is exclusive to best buy, and they have something of a release date , you think it would be available for preorder by now

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Last year it wasn't up for pre-order until quite late. I recall, the news only broke on DVDReview about a month before the release date, leading to lots of speculation that it was not a real release because no-one could find it on any site for pre-order. A few days later it was revealed to be Best Buy only, and a while after that, it appeared for pre-order on BB.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
It's not on there yet and I look every day.

The Sci-Fi Collection will be first, as it's due out in September, whereas the Horror on is not until October, three weeks later.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if The Sci Fi Collection is on pre-order at BEST BUY yet? I went to the site and could not locate it.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
It isn't. I look every day.

Last year it didn't appear for pre-order until very late - a couple of weeks or maybe just a week, I don;t remember exactly.

Of course, one recent BB Exclusive (the awful Flash Gordon remake) didn't appear on pre-order at all.

It did not appear on the website until the day of release.

I hope they don't do that because it turns the whole thing into a race to get hold of one.

DVD's are usually made available on pre-order because it gives the studio data on how many copies are likely to be needed.

But this is, as last year, apparently a limited edition in one store only. That means Universal already decided how many copies to make. Hence little benefit on making it a pre-order item.

I agree, it;s annoying, I wish they get their act together and put it up on the website.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
I looked it up via google and cached pages. Looks like the set last year was available on pre-order about a month before the release date.

Looks like Best Buy are gonna screw us over even worse this year. I bet they don't put it on sale until the day of release.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I appreciate the hurry and all, but the previous version was available on store shelves right up until a month before it went OOP. I think you're going to have a big enough window to get a copy. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks