What's new

Anchor Bay's Dawn Of The Dead 4-Disc Set (1 Viewer)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

This is the first time the European cut has been offered period. Arguably, for R1 customers, half the material on this set is completely new to the market.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

This is the first time the European cut has been offered period. Arguably, for R1 customers, half the material on this set is completely new to the market.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Not sure how big the differences are between the cuts but wouldn't it have been possible to use Seamless Branching on this? I just find that it is probably the most underused feature that really offers something.
THanks

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Not sure how big the differences are between the cuts but wouldn't it have been possible to use Seamless Branching on this? I just find that it is probably the most underused feature that really offers something.
THanks

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

No, because the editing is very distinct in each version and many differences can be attributed to seconds worth of alternate angles or slightly extended sequences. The audio is also very different for each version as well, a fact a lot of critics of the new The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly print have failed to realize. This is likely why the "Extended Edition" of Dawn has only the original mono track.

If they wanted to create a new version of the film instead, that compensated for all the technical differences, it would require the original negative, sound samples, additional looping from the original actors, signed agreements and contracts among all interested parties (cast, crew, producers, director, investors, etc.), and a whole bunch of other necessities that are impossible.

Seamless branching would also involve a lot of skipping and jumping that would entail entirely different choices for each version, unlike the Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Ultimate Edition, which only needed the additional scenes returned in chronological order to create each version of the film.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

No, because the editing is very distinct in each version and many differences can be attributed to seconds worth of alternate angles or slightly extended sequences. The audio is also very different for each version as well, a fact a lot of critics of the new The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly print have failed to realize. This is likely why the "Extended Edition" of Dawn has only the original mono track.

If they wanted to create a new version of the film instead, that compensated for all the technical differences, it would require the original negative, sound samples, additional looping from the original actors, signed agreements and contracts among all interested parties (cast, crew, producers, director, investors, etc.), and a whole bunch of other necessities that are impossible.

Seamless branching would also involve a lot of skipping and jumping that would entail entirely different choices for each version, unlike the Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Ultimate Edition, which only needed the additional scenes returned in chronological order to create each version of the film.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Are the three versions of the film different enough to warrant such a release or is this something just for the die-hard fans?

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Are the three versions of the film different enough to warrant such a release or is this something just for the die-hard fans?

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

It depends. You can't really make that call until you've seen the other versions. Personally, I can't imagine anyone other than the die-hard fans (like myself) needing 3 different versions. At the same time, it's almost universally agreed upon (despite Romero's choice) that the "Extended Edition" is the best to watch. Seeing as it is only available in this set, it sucks to have to settle with the stand alone "Theatrical Cut".

Arguing again for the sake of the box, having two completely different documentaries on the film is a pretty big deal. Document of the Dead is probably the most important supplement to the film to date (as we haven't seen the new doc), but it IS available outside the set. You could get it and have a considerable insight into the event that was the production and release of Dawn, but it is still more a technical minded feature than a deeply insightful one.

As I've seen many people say before, Document feels as if it's geared toward students or professionals with an interest in the business itself. The new doc is probably much closer to the standard approach we're familiar with when thinking of a "making-of". So, with this set, you're getting some pretty important exclusives.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

It depends. You can't really make that call until you've seen the other versions. Personally, I can't imagine anyone other than the die-hard fans (like myself) needing 3 different versions. At the same time, it's almost universally agreed upon (despite Romero's choice) that the "Extended Edition" is the best to watch. Seeing as it is only available in this set, it sucks to have to settle with the stand alone "Theatrical Cut".

Arguing again for the sake of the box, having two completely different documentaries on the film is a pretty big deal. Document of the Dead is probably the most important supplement to the film to date (as we haven't seen the new doc), but it IS available outside the set. You could get it and have a considerable insight into the event that was the production and release of Dawn, but it is still more a technical minded feature than a deeply insightful one.

As I've seen many people say before, Document feels as if it's geared toward students or professionals with an interest in the business itself. The new doc is probably much closer to the standard approach we're familiar with when thinking of a "making-of". So, with this set, you're getting some pretty important exclusives.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
The price seems reasonable to me, it is about the same price as the 3-disc version of The Leopard which Criterion just released. Nobody will have to pay the full retail, you should be able to pick it up for about $30-35 which isn't too bad for a 4-disc set.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
The price seems reasonable to me, it is about the same price as the 3-disc version of The Leopard which Criterion just released. Nobody will have to pay the full retail, you should be able to pick it up for about $30-35 which isn't too bad for a 4-disc set.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I have to agree, Although I'm sure some will disagree ,that the "Cannes Cut" is a better film in that it has a much more fleshed out story with greater character development.

Sort of along the lines of LOTR extended cut in that it tells a fuller story with unconstrained time limits.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I have to agree, Although I'm sure some will disagree ,that the "Cannes Cut" is a better film in that it has a much more fleshed out story with greater character development.

Sort of along the lines of LOTR extended cut in that it tells a fuller story with unconstrained time limits.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Now that the set is finally coming out, all I need is the upcoming Anchor Bay 2-disc set of There's Always Vanilla (never seen it) and Jack's Wife a.k.a. Hungry Wives a.k.a. Season of the Witch to complete the Romero filmography on DVD. It's too bad his best films (or editions) are spread throughout Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Elite and Warner. A box set would be cool for new fans if/when Fox makes Dead Reckoning.

Also, I really hope Warner gets around to doing some kind of special edition of Creepshow... even if it's a one disc. The current release is crap, with terrible resolution and a transfer that jumps slightly for the first 20-30 minutes of the film. Oh man, Romero and Stephen King commentary, a documentary with backstory on the original draft of the script, etc... Bah! This Dawn box set is warping my DVD release expectations! Well, MGM could at least do a decent anamorphic widescreen transfer of The Dark Half, as it looks like a VHS tape in it's current condition...

Double bah!

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Now that the set is finally coming out, all I need is the upcoming Anchor Bay 2-disc set of There's Always Vanilla (never seen it) and Jack's Wife a.k.a. Hungry Wives a.k.a. Season of the Witch to complete the Romero filmography on DVD. It's too bad his best films (or editions) are spread throughout Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Elite and Warner. A box set would be cool for new fans if/when Fox makes Dead Reckoning.

Also, I really hope Warner gets around to doing some kind of special edition of Creepshow... even if it's a one disc. The current release is crap, with terrible resolution and a transfer that jumps slightly for the first 20-30 minutes of the film. Oh man, Romero and Stephen King commentary, a documentary with backstory on the original draft of the script, etc... Bah! This Dawn box set is warping my DVD release expectations! Well, MGM could at least do a decent anamorphic widescreen transfer of The Dark Half, as it looks like a VHS tape in it's current condition...

Double bah!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I voted for Creepshow in Warner's 2-disc SE poll months back. I really want an updated version of this on DVD, minus the cheap snapper!

Also, has cover art been posted for this yet?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I voted for Creepshow in Warner's 2-disc SE poll months back. I really want an updated version of this on DVD, minus the cheap snapper!

Also, has cover art been posted for this yet?

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Good god, yes! So did I... who knows if they took us seriously though. Maybe they'll do it when Romero's next film hits. If they were serious about our nominations, and there were enough for Creepshow, they could do a cool 2-disc if they get enough participation. I mean, how many people in that movie are now instantly recognizable celebrities? A lot.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

Maybe not for R1, but I've got a French DVD that has the Argento cut in anamorpic widescreen with DD 5.1 and dts 5.1 audio. It also has the director's cut of Frumkes' documentary, with his commentary and deleted material. But I'm still gonna pick up the Anchor Bay set for the (hopefully) remastered Cannes cut, as well as the beautifully remastered theatrical version, plus the new commentaries and documentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks