What's new

Anchor Bay's Dawn Of The Dead 4-Disc Set (1 Viewer)

Will K

Screenwriter
From Fangoria:

Try to not drool on your keyboard

Fango has just learned the complete contents of Anchor Bay Entertainment’s four-DVD DAWN OF THE DEAD special edition, which streets September 7. This astounding package will contain:

DISC ONE: U.S. THEATRICAL VERSION
(same contents as March’s single-disc release)
• Widescreen presentation (1.85:1) enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Audio commentary by writer/director George A. Romero, makeup FX creator Tom Savini and assistant director Chris Romero, moderated by Perry Martin
• Theatrical trailers
• TV spots
• Radio spots
• Poster & advertising gallery
• George A. Romero biography
• Comic book preview
• 5.1 DTS Surround sound
• 5.1 Dolby Surround sound
• 2.0 Dolby Surround
• Original mono track

DISC TWO: EXTENDED VERSION
• Audio commentary by producer Richard P. Rubinstein, moderated by Perry Martin
• Monroeville Mall commercial
• Behind-the-scenes photo gallery
• Memorabilia gallery
• Production stills
• Original mono track

DISC THREE: EUROPEAN VERSION
• Audio commentary by actors David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger and Gaylen Ross
• International theatrical trailers
• UK TV spots
• International lobby card gallery
• International poster & advertising gallery
• International pressbook gallery
• U.S. & international home video & soundtrack artwork
• Dario Argento biography
• 5.1 Dolby Surround sound
• 2.0 Dolby Surround
• Original mono track

DISC FOUR: DOCUMENTARIES
• DOCUMENT OF THE DEAD, The original documentary filmed during the making of DAWN by Filmmaker Roy Frumkes
• THE DEAD WILL WALK, an all-new 75-minute documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew members Claudio Argento, Dario Argento, Pat Buba, Tony Buba, Zilla Clinton, David Crawford, David Early, David Emge, Ken Foree, Michael Gornick, John Harrison, Clayton Hill, Sharon Ceccatti-Hill, Jim Krut, Leonard Lies, Scott H. Reiniger, Chris Romero, George A. Romero, Gaylen Ross, Tom Savini and Claudio Simonetti
• On-set home movies with audio commentary by zombie extra Robert Langer
• Monroeville Mall tour with Romero

No retail price information is available yet, but it sounds like a bargain at any price…

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
Holy. Crap. That sounds like possibly one of the best DVD sets ever. The only negative I see is that the extended cut has a mono-only soundtrack. Regardless, that one is on the very top of my must-must-must buy list.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Damnit! I bought the single disc thinking I wasnt going to care about getting this one. Now after seeing the rumored specs looks like im double dipping.

Shit.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Sounds great but why on Earth would they put the cast commentary on the Euro version? Either way, it's good to finally get a definitive version with all the documentaries and cuts of the film.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
So which cut is the equevalent to "The Directors Cut" that anchor put out on VHS?

I'm still holding onto it just in case it doesn't show up. It has too much great gore to not keep!

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
After literally years of waiting for details for this mega-set, it finally comes. I was convinced that they wouldn't be able to get rights to "Document of the Dead" but they came through.

Can any die-hard fans think of a conceivable extra that's not mentioned here? The only thing I can think of would be an Argento commentary, but frankly, his English isn't so good. Perhaps it's for the best and he'll be on new documentary anyway.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I can't wait for this title.

I see this as a good thing, the original tracks should be used on all films released.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised they didn't get Argento to do a commentary on the Euro version. Other than it that looks SOLID.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, they didn't port over the 1994 Elite Box Set commentary (also with George, Tom & Chris) for the "Director's Cut".
I know some have said that it was boring but I strongly disagree, in fact it's one of my favorites because IMO it has much more interesting tid-bits and side stories than the new track, I personally think it is more fun and humor filled.

Looks as if I will have to make my own DVD using this track.:)

Haden

Supporting Actor
I'm relieved that I don't have to keep the single disc version that came out in March. It's going up on Ebay this weekend :)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Yeah, I noticed that too. Now that someone has mentioned the info on that track is different, I'm definitely dismayed that is not present on the extended cut (being that it is only using 2 audio tracks anyway [commentary & mono]).

The usual DVD-ROM feature of the original screenplay is also missing, which in this case is quite important. The Elite laserdisc also featured this as a supplement, showing the much darker nature (and alternate ending) of the version Romero had in mind before production began.

Not to sound disrespectful or at all unappreciative of this wonderful and drool-inducing set, but I am concerned that it didn't include the Elite features they had previously promised. Anyone who is interested to know of the possibility of their inclusion/exclusion, as I am, should email Anchor Bay at:

[email protected]

Otherwise, this is definitely THE set I am looking forward to the MOST this year. By far, the most surprising supplement is the all-out, new, feature-length documentary. DVD companies have made a bad habit out of shying away from doing feature standard running times (40 or more minutes) to avoid extra costs... but 75 minutes is terrific! Buba, Gornick, Harrison, all the important but usually ignored crew members are here. This is just... geez... fantastic.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

The extended cut is what was once known as "The Original Director's Cut". It is not in fact Romero's intended cut, but just the one he quickly threw together to meet the deadline of the Cannes film festival. Critics and fans usually seem to agree that is the superior cut in terms of character and story inclusion, but it lacks the post-production finese and final sound cue and soundtrack selections found in the theatrical cut. Romero prefers this version.

Travis W.

Second Unit
I don't care what the price is-this set's mine on street date. This has been a great year for Dawn-the Divimax DVD, we got the better than expected remake in March, the comic series by IDW, and now a 4 disc set.

I too think it's odd that the cast commentary isn't on the extended cut at least. A VERY minor complaint in the scope of things.

September's getting expensive with Dawn of the Dead, Clerks: 10 Year Anniversary and Star Wars Trilogy. But that's not a complaint :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks