What's new

Anchor Bay! You got some splainin' to do. (Re: Army of Darkness) (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I think there's so many versions of this film that Raimi isn't totally sure or even cares, what the definitive version is. It's clear that Bruce Campbell prefers the Director's Cut, I wonder about Raimi, though.
Well since they both refused to do a commentary track for anything except the DC, and in the commentary both Raimi & Bruce say that "This is the original cut, the cut we wanted." I guess they both approve of the DC. The only part in the commentary that stands out to me where they preferred the Theatrical Cut was the "I ain't that nice/Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." alternate lines. I'm sure there are other examples but that is the only one that stands out in my memory.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't think you understand Eric, the Directors Cut uses the line "I ain't that nice." While the Theatrical Cut uses the line "Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun.". I use a "/" to separate and distinguish the two alternate lines hence my statement
The only part in the commentary that stands out to me where they preferred the Theatrical Cut was the "I ain't that nice/Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." alternate lines.
Get it?
Got it?
Good. :)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
The original screen captures showing the differences between the 2 DVD's are gone. Can anyone put up a couple of shots to show again the differences between the two AOD prints?

Thanks.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Doug,

Yes, I'm comparing the (Region 1) Universal and Anchor Bay Theatrical DVDs of Army Of Darkness.

In the reviews you've quoted, they seem to be comparing the AB Theatrical and Director's Cut DVDs, not the Universal and AB versions of the Theatrical Cut.

Have you recently posted screenshots? Have I missed them?

I wonder how many people have actually done an objective comparison between the two. I totally agree that the AB DVD has more Horizontal resolution, but that's it.

Everyone tends to assume that a Special Edition will always be an improvement in every regard. Don't get me wrong, I admire Anchor Bay for their content (I bought the 2-disc set), but for picture quality it's no slam dunk.

Who knows, maybe the Region 3 version is!

Eric,

You're right, I'm not a mega Evil Dead fan, but I'm definitely an Army Of Darkness one.

Objectively speaking, I feel the theatrical cut is a better movie.

Universal wanted the movie to stand on its own and attempted to expand the Evil Dead cult audience. Unfortunately it gained only a small number of new fans (like myself), and probably pissed off many Evil Dead fans (like yourself).

What can ya do?

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
The DVDFile review is comparing the Universal version to ABs. They also go on to say, it has never looked better.
I just reloaded my PC so I need to create the screen grabs again and host them.
When I did the recent comparison, the Universal transfer was not too bad but the detail level (again, this is a LD transfer) is nowhere near the level of AB. The hay on the ground at the castle was a blur in the Universal version but sharp and detailed in the AB.
I'm not pro AB, I think the Elite Evil Dead is a superior transfer to the AB 16x9 version.
Again, I'll post the screenshots when I get the R3 disc (early next week) and I'll compare a scene from all 4 versions.
I also suggest doing a search on this board whem AB's version came out. There were many comparisons and you are the first person that I recall saying the Universal's transfer was better.

Doug

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
EDIT: Here are my revised screen shots from the R3 MGM DC and the R1 AB DC. I'll try and get the screen shots from the Japanese LD 'Captain Supermarket' and the Malaysian LD up today too. If I have time I'll post the Theatricals too.

Overall the AB Theatrical and Universal theatrical have excellent PQ. The AB DC looks like a bootleg almost. Its very blurry and misframed. The R3 MGM DC has the best PQ over any version. The AB theatrical looks like its been sharpened a little.

You can find the screen shots here: Link

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'm on a roll!

Got the AB and Universal Theatrical grabs done. Link

I'll get the two LD shots up this afternoon. Enjoy!

I've edit my post above to reflect the new DC shots. Don't forget to check those out.

Even though its non-anamorphic I think I prefer the PQ on the old Universal Disc.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Great job Mark!

I sincerely appreciate the effort you've gone to here.

Re: AB vs Universal (Theatrical)

As I've said, the AB version has better horizontal resolution, but the color has a purple hue and is quite dull overall. The Universal has more vibrant color and much better contrast. This is obvious in the night shots.

I've gotta say, the AB menus suck major ass. The Universal ones are so much better.

Don't get me wrong, I don't LOVE the Universal disc. I just don't feel that either disc really nailed it.

It appears from your screenshots that the R3 has nailed it. Best color accuracy, brightness and contrast of all. Best menus too!

Mark, does the R3 have the same (lesser) alternate lines of the AB DC?

If so, that's frustrating because if I preferred the Director's Cut (I don't) I'd get the R3 version in a heartbeat.

It's such a shame that AB had a poor print to work with.

Anyone that buys the Boomstick Edition over the Region 3 is getting second best.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
does the R3 have the same (lesser) alternate lines of the AB DC?
Not sure. Its been a while since I watched the others. Can you list all of the lines and I'll check.

BTW, I've got the LD screen shots up. Link
Its the Japanese LD 'Captain Supermarket' which looks to be the DC and the Malay/Singapore LD. I think its the theatrical but with the futuristic ending. I need to double check that though.

I'm going on vacation but when I get back I'll put a page up describing the different screen shots. It'll be a lot easier to compare than just the raw images as they are now.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
wow, the difference is pretty astounding, especially in that shot of the castle. the universal dvd capture looks 100 times better!!!

shame on anchor bay for this one....i always thought that it was just the director's cut that was supposed to look subpar....

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
How can you say that the Universal disc looks better? Judging by the screenshots, it looks fuzzier than the AB transfer, and the colors don't look...right.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
There is a little more detail in some scenes of the AB version, due to the anamorphic transfer, but its way too red. The Universal colors are more accurate and shadow delineation and detail are way better too. The Universal and MGM (DC) look to have the same color timing.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Today I saw a used copy of the "limited edition" AB director's cut for $14. I think I paid $50 for my copy on eBay a couple of years ago. Sigh.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The AB theatrical screencaps look much more film-like to me than the Universal caps. The Universal caps look like a mediocre TV broadcast with the brightness turned up.

DJ

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I've read much of the thread on the other website regarding the MGM release, and I have a few questions regarding all of the Evil Dead DVD's. This is what I've gathered, can you please comment (mainly concerned about Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2).

Evil Dead - Elite version is superior, due to bad cropping on the Anchor Bay release? Is this "bad cropping" affected on the newer "Book of the Dead" release?

Evil Dead 2 - Anchor Bay did a good job on this title, but I notcied two different cover art (skull, and a cartoon looking one) Any difference, if so which is better?

Army of Darkness (theatrical) - Both the Universal (non anamorphic) and the Anchor Bay (anamorphic) are good, some people prefer the Universal (better color?) and some prefer the Anchor Bay for its higher resolution.

Army of Darkness (DC) - Region 3 MGM DVD is the one to own.

I have AOD (theatrical - Anchor Bay) and have ordered the Directors Cut (MGM). I also own Evil Dead - "Book of the Dead", but after reading on another thread that the Elite release is superior, I am debating if I should pick the Elite version up. Also I still need to purchase Evil Dead 2 to complete my collection, but am unsure which version to get (Skull cover or the cartoon looking cover)?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Lane, I believe the Book of the Dead is the only AB release of Evil Dead besides the keep case which is the same thing in a different package. The movie was cropped down to 1.85 as opposed to the open matte version on the Elite. According to what I've read, it was supposed to be exhibited in widescreen. In the full frame, you can see the tops of the sets in several shots.

For Evil Dead 2, you want the one with the painting cover. This is the European poster. The one with the skull is bare-bones.

For Army of Darkness, the AB ones have features where the Universal was bare. The R3 doesn't have the features, btu the DC looks better. If you only want the theatrical cut, the R1 should be fine.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't aware that the Elite release of Evil Dead was open matte, and since the film was supposed to be exhibited in widescreen, I will keep my Evil Dead: Book of the Dead WS DVD. I already own the Anchor Bay release of Army of Darkness (theatrical), and I'm happy with the presentation - so thats a keeper. I also just ordered the MGM R3 release of the Directors Cut (haven't seen it yet). Now I just have to get a copy of Evil Dead II. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks