What's new

Anchor Bay to re-release Evil Dead 2 (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I thought ED2 was the lost story to bridge xXx and the upcoming sequel to explain how Vin Diesel died.

If you guys want to apply real world physics and strained logic to a horror-comedy film to figure out whther or not a film and a later recap exist in the same universe in order to consider a couple of minutes of recapping out of an 85-minute long film a remake, go nuts. If you want to tell me to lighten up when at the same time applying logic to conflicting scenes about an evil force destroying a bridge, have at it. Enjoy the film however you wish.

DJ

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Ha.. While Damin maybe needs to chill out a bit, he's right. I spliced all the films together into a long VHS (with the slept too long ending)a long ways back. Makes me wish someone would get creative with a DVD recorder.

Doug

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I can vouch for Doug on this, as I too dubbed a continuous Evil Dead movie, basically by cutting the credits and recaps. So Damin is is correct when Raimi says it can play as one long movie.

BUT....

As Roland correctly points out, the bridge sequence in ED2 makes no since in the uber cut, which makes ED2 either crappy sequel with no care for continuity, or a genius remake/sequel designed to further the story for the small group of fans of the first film, and to remake and establish the premise of the first film for all the new potential fans who's first experience with Evil Dead would be Evil Dead 2.

So Roland and Damin are both right!! Awesome! Let's all go and shake hands, eat cake and watch some Evil Dead!

Yay! I love happy endings!

:D :D :D :D

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Maybe a special feature on this new ED2 DVD will explain the continuity between the three movies. That way everybody will shut up! ;)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Vincent-dash-P, WHICH Anchor Bay DVD was DVD Beaver using for their comparison? Because as I recall, when Anchor Bay originally released their limited edition 2-DVD set of both the U.S. Theatrical Cut and their composite "Director's Cut", Video Watchdog magazine did a comparision between those two DVDs, and the "Theatrical Cut"- which is 1.66:1 anamorphic and was mastered directly from the film elements in Unversal's vaults- contained more picture information on all four sides of the image compared to the composite Anchor Bay "Director's Cut".

The 1.66:1 Anchor Bay 81-minute "Theatrical Cut" is the one Raimi supervised, so that's the one that should be used as the benchmark when it comes to framing and image quality. If DVD Beaver did their comparison only using one of the many Anchor Bay "Director's Cut" versions, then it is NOT a valid comparison in terms of proper image framing.

Vincent

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Just think of the fights the actual "re-imagining" remake of Evil Dead is going to bring on if our panties are getting this knotted on the original films we actually like!:eek:

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Rolando:

If you REALLY want to upset Damin, try arguing with him about copyright law :)

I did that once at the Mobius boards, and oh dear Lord do I regret it. Mr. Toell made me look (and feel) like a real idiot, him being the learned lawyer that he is and all :)

Vincent

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Which film did I see, and which is next? The one I saw

involved Bruce freaking out in a cabin, hacking his own hand off, and in the finale his car falls from the sky and he shoots a winged creature and masses of people bow down before him and he realizes he's screwed.

It seems there are so many titles and versions and sequels and subtitles that it takes an advanced degree to figure out which film is which.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
ask him i did he said :

"ash was just so stupid that he went back for more forgeting what happened before"

dont forget ash is a moron ! :)

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Mind Damin not, he takes this board very seriously. Go back and read the Day of the Dead audio dubbing thread. I plan on attending law school myself but sometimes I have second thoughts.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Okay were not past this, but I think the above is a GREAT capper! I had a good laugh at that line, DJ, your tha man! I'm gonna get sued just so I can hire you!

Okay, seriously, what are the chances that this could be the opening of a mega Evil Dead set of all three films? I'm getting hot pants just thinking of such a thing!! It could have the book of the dead verion of ED!, Hi-Def remaster of ED2, hi-def remasters of both theatrical and Directors cut of AOD, from the proper elements, like the MGM disc. Than a bunch of bonus discs of all the existing out takes and deleted footage from all three films, make up footage, "Within' The Woods", all of Sam and Bruce's Super 8 films, all incased in an oversized replica of the Book Of The Dead made of actual SKIN!!

MAn would that be sweet!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
why don't they just put out a definitive trilogy box set and leave this franchise well enough alone already!

HD Divimax transfers for all 3 films, clean original poster art keepcase packaging, ALL the extras spead out accross ALL past and current releases, and that's that. A simple and comprehensive box set so we can conveniently own all three films and be sure we won't have to buy another 12 reissues of one of these movies in the next 3 years...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Anchor Bay's Michael Felsher has said in an HTF chat that a boxset couldn't happen in the US, as each of the films is licensed from a different rights holder.

DJ

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

D'OH!!!

And Damin, I didn't mean my post to be an attack on you, it was all in good fun. Quite frankly, reading your posts re: trademark law on the Mobius boards has been very educational and I really apprecitate them.

Vincent

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Sam Raimi mentioned in a recent interview that he pushed for the box set but "the people who own Army of Darkness" (aka Universal) wouldn't go along with the plan. Not a week passes that I don't find a new reason to despise that studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks