What's new

Anamorphic Widescreen the Wrong Choice? (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
rephrase:
a full frame picture (full resolution) indeed looks better compared to a Widescreen picture (assumed to be anamorphic), on a 4:3 TV. This is a very real issue.
that could be because of being anamorphic.
I haven't tested a non-anamorphic wide picture on a 4:3 TV.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No, I don't get anything for recommending that you use it. In fact, it works for free for the first 30-40 popup blocks before you have to pay for anything. I am just tired of the trend toward pop-ups, and it seems that many of you are, too. So this is a friendly recommendation, that's all.
Just downloaded it! While I know scripts that I could use to disable them, I'd risk breaching my contract with my host, so a user-side solution is great!
------------------
My DVD Collection

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Occasionally, I go to Wal-mart to purchase some toiletries, and head down to the electronics section, where they always have some extremely cheap GE/RCA DVD player connected to a bunch of extremely cheap GE/RCA TVs via a 1-billion way splitter. I've seen Titan AE, Toy Story 1&2, Jurrasic Park on them.
Know what? They looked FANTASTIC. I was actually astonished that I had to try REALLY hard to notice any downconversion artifacts. In fact, I just couldn't see any. The picture is just that good. DVD is just that good. I was very impressed with how well the players downconverted, and how bright and vivid and sharp the whole picture was.
IMHO, you're not losing much with downconversion. And, you have a lot to gain once you get a 16:9 TV. Trust me, I did the transition and enjoy it every single day.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Kwang,
You raise an interesting point. I have the Panasonic RV80 DVD player connected to a Sony KP-61V80 4:3 TV. I have to tell you - my picture looks VERY good and there are virtually no jaggies and artifacts (unless the transfer of the movie has problems, etc.) I've compared my TV with that of my sister's digital Sony 53" (H series) and her picture is much softer than mine (almost too soft at times) but mine looks just as good and it's sharper. With hers, I don't see the scan lines as I do with mine but that's a different issue not relating to our topic.
With that being said, my next TV will defintely be one that is widescreen or performs the squeeze in order to optimize my picture. But, I'm just not sure how much better I can expect it to be.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
If it's not anamorphic, I won't buy it even though my TV does not do the squeeze because I know one day(hopefully in the near future) I will own a TV that is either widescreen or does the squeeze. I always think ahead.

FYI with good playback equipment like the RP91 or an HTPC, even non-anamorphic discs look great; the notion that they have to look poor on 16x9 sets is a myth. Good thing, too - a lot of the titles coming out of smaller labels like Image are non-enhanced, and those titles are unlikely to be re-mastered anytime soon, if ever.
My thoughts on the subject.
RD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks