What's new

Anamorphic transfers of Vertigo and Psycho! See post #54 about new boxset. (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Hopefully Universal will quickly re release the existing non enhanced discs as they are about to do with Carpenters THE THING;

I would love to see
VERTIGO
PSYCHO and others, such as
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
DUNE etc...
given the proper, quick inexpensive upgrade
of course, Super Delixe editions would be nice-too,BUT...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
My thoughts now as well Gordon....didn't think they would even re-release The Thing to be honest.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I too was surprised that Universal remastered The Thing in anamorphic widescreen. I was hoping for an overhauled 2-disc with DTS and all the deleted scenes in widescreen - especially the alternate ending... with the dog running away from the camp

But I am still stoked about finally being able display the film properly on my screen.

I don't think that the print used for Psycho was all that good, to be honest. And the lack of anamorphic encoding is disappointing today. The bitrate is low too, due to the 90-minute documentary, newsreel, etc.

The print for Vertigo was obviously better, what with the film being restored and it is a beautiful non-anamorphic transfer. But DTS, original mono and 16x9 encoding would wildly celebrated at HTF, I'm sure! :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Thank Felix, i have been to the site you linked back as far as 2000, my problem isn't/wasn't how "anamorphic" works in the DVD format, I fully understand that, it is the way the phrase "higher resolution with anamorphic" is bandied about around here sometimes. It is but then again it isn't really "higher" resolution, it depends on how you look at it. A better term IMO would be "Full Resolution" as the other phrase implies HD-DVD or the like and it just isn't. That was my argument....and it was from a while ago.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Let's not dredge up that subject again. It's way off topic and just results in more confusion.

-Dave

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I agree, let's not.

In regards to Vertigo, I really wouldn't get my hopes up for the original mono track to be included....then again (as I said) I never thought they would re-release The Thing so I guess anything is possible.

Think this new attitude might have anything to do with the management shakeups (I seem to remember reading something about this at least) over at Universal?

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Any updates on whether Vertigo and Psycho will have anamorphic releases anytime soon? I don't understand why Rear Window, The Trouble With Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much, North By Northwest, and The Birds all got anamorphic releases, but Vertigo and Psycho (arguably better films than several I previously mentioned) have been ignored. I remember having seen Vertigo when it was re-relesed in theaters in 1984, and the colors were gorgeous! With all the advancements in widescreen HDTVs today, isn't it about time these classic movies got their proper respect for the widescreen TV market?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Carlos, the reason Verigo and Psycho didn't get anamorphic transfers was simply that those titles were released on DVD earlier than the other Hitchcock films, and Universal were not using anamorphic transfers for all their releases at that time. It's ironic that the arguably "lesser" films sometimes get better treatment technically simply because they are released later.

I hope Universal will revisit Vertigo and Psycho soon. I'm encouraged that they are starting a "Legacy" series with reissues of The Sting and The Deer Hunter, so perhaps there is hope.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
With Universal giving Psycho II and III 16x9 (1.85:1) transfers on September 13th, you'd think they'd also give the 1960 original a 16x9 re-release. I also find it strange that Psycho IV: The Beginning still hasn't been announced yet.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I'd definitely buy an upgraded Vertigo and probably Psycho as well. Lack of 16:9 enhancement is the only reason these discs are not on my shelf. But they had better keep the same extras if they do re-release them.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
While it's true that the difference cannot be appreciated on a 4X3 TV, the difference between anamorphic and non-anamorphic video on a 16X9 screen is startling, even with the best non-anamorphic transfers -- from a liney video appearance to a smooth film-like look.

It's inconceivable to me that two classic films lie VERTIGO and PSYCHO are not available in the US in anamorphic versions.

Re. the sound on VERTIGO, the purists will hate me for saying this but I think the mix that was done for the restoration was absolutely fantastic. I will never forget the experience of seeing VERTIGO at the Westwood AVCO Theater in 70mm with DTS stereo sound. Mind-blowing.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
News from DVD Times:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection for 4th October 2005 priced at $119.98 SRP. This 15 Disc collection brings together 14 Hitchcock classics plus a bonus disc in a special gift set collection.

The 14 feature film discs are identical to existing individual releases, they are: Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubth, Rope, Rear Window, The Trouble With Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy and Family Plot.

Details on the bonus disc are currently TBC.

EDIT - Universal is now saying 'digitally remastered' - see post 76.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

And people want to give Paramount and Fox a hard time about their releases. IMO, Universal is almost as bad as Columbia/MGM. To not offer anamorphic presentations for Vertigo and Psycho just doesn't make sense.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of anamorphic versions of Psycho and Vertigo just yet.
When the re-release of 12 Monkeys was announced, there was no mention initially of the new transfer, and it was reported that the disc would be identical to the previous release. The same might happen with most (if not all) of the discs in this set.

I'm not gonna buy a 15 disc box set to get an anamorphic Psycho, though.

Chris

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
I hope we will also see an anamorphic reissue of Universal's The Hindenburg with 5.1 sound. The original release was not 16x9 and it had the sides cropped, plus the audio was Dolby Surround.

I am also patiently waiting for Earthquake...
Special Edition with all the bells & whistles please!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
On the plus side, this set is a significant price reduction over what the films were priced at originally so anyone who hadn't purchased the Universal Hitchcocks is getting a real bargain, especially when the usual discounts are applied. Getting these 15 films plus a bonus disc plus a book for under $100 is a steal. That pricing is comparable, if not less than, what Warners was charging per film for their Hitchcock set.

The existing DVDs for these films are fine for the most part. I would have liked to have seen the restored MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH be put to market, but on the whole I think these are very good DVDs.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks