What's new

Analysis on HD DVD Combo discs (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
I'm finally sending in my copy of The Departed. I get a disc read error on a chapter every time. I'll have it in my note inside the case.

tsunami0ne

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Nguyen
I will be sending in my copy of Bourne Ultimatum. The movie starts skipping badly after 1hr 27m.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Just checking on the status of this program...

I had some problems with my brand new copy of "Shaun of the Dead" (skipping begins at the 1 hr. & 30 minute mark w/o fail) and my combo version of "Hot Fuzz" (intermittent skipping) and would like to send them in...can I still do so???

LonnyE

Auditioning
Real Name
Lonny Eckert

Also interested if program is till open....

I've encountered the 408bc504 error on Disk 9 of the TOS set. Specifically, the error occurs in the Alternative Factor episode shortly after Capt. Kirk makes his way into the alternate universe.

I recently upgraded my XA2 firmware to v 2.7 so the error has been occuring on versions 2.5 and 2.7. It is a repeatable error.

This was also posted in equivalent AVS Forum thread.

LonnyE

Auditioning
Real Name
Lonny Eckert

Kevin,

Thanks. Will send in disk 9 of ST TOS with more specific info.

Lonny

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Great!!!!

Then if I still can, may I please send forth my copy of Brokeback Mountain, which has given me nothing but grief since the day I bought it? It often sticks when I get to a particular point when Enis' marriage comes undone. The SD side, however, plays great. Thanks.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kevin et al.:

FWIW I'd like to post word of a Combo anecdote involving Eastern Promises.

A "Black Friday" circular coupon (valid through 1/20/08) for a free high def rental took me into my local Hollywood Video recently. They just started renting HD DVD and BD; the copy of Promises I rented was near-pristine.

Upon inserting into my HD-XA2 (updated to f/w 2.5 which I understand is not the latest; 2.7 is) the display flashed "LOADING" (and "1080i," the max rez of my display) for the better part of 5 minutes. No responsiveness to button presses on the remote or player. Lots of drive movement sounds indicating the player was attempting to read the disc. Powered down by holding down the On/Off button; disconnected power cord until red light around On/Off button went off.

Powered up; display started flashing "LOADING" again; pressed "Open/Close" shortly after blue light at bottom of front of player illuminated, which I presume means power up cycle is complete. Several beats before disc eject, with error message on screen stating (paraphrased) 'Disc Error - This Disc Is Not DVD Format.'

Removed the disc; ran it under warm water and wiped gently with soft cotton bath towel in radial line from center to edge. Reinserted; same flashing (only now "HDMI" flashed as well, indicating that perhaps I did not have handshake on first attempt) but for shorter period of time. Display finally read "HDDVD," but playback would not commence after pressing "Play" on remote or player.

Ejected. Standard def side plays fine on both the XA2 and a Pio 563A SD DVD player.

I had an HD-D1 from August 2006 to August 2007. Got the XA2 in September 2007. Have been purchasing and renting HD DVDs for that entire period. I have heretofore avoided Combos due to the 'bad press' online. This is my first Combo experience. I have never experienced this kind of player behavior before with either of my HD DVD players, even with more visibly scratched Netflix HD DVD rentals.

I'd send you the disc but, again, it was a (very clean, new) rental.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who appreciates the attention this matter is receiving, but who also would be interested in--and respectfully requests-- some kind of summary of your findings being posted here a few weeks after the imminent close of this HTF-involved part of your Combo testing.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I was pushed for time late on the night of attempted viewing, trying to get the movie started early enough to return the disc before a midnight return deadline. That's the only reason I bent one of my own standing 'rules' to update f/w before spinning newer titles. Having said that, there's no advanced content (U-Control) on Promises. Or does Web-enablement require the loading of content that a non-Web-enabled disc wouldn't involve, even if you're not accessing the Web-enabled features?

Again, it was a Hollywood Video rental so I won't be able to send in the disc. However, when the title bubbles up to the top of my Netflix Queue, I will certainly by then have upgraded to 2.7. Should this thread still remain open (and I would recommend that that be the case, such that people can continue to post their experiences with Combo titles even if the exchange program is over), I will post word of how the disc behaves.

Paul

Mr.T

Auditioning
Real Name
Torsten E. Teich
Hello Kevin, I'm holding a bad copy of "The Getaway" in my hands. It has a circular scratch on the data side. When I opened the cover the disc was correctly sitting on the spine, no sign of a transport damage. My theory is that it's a case of a manufacturing problem, something on the line seems to scratch the disc. I'd like to send you the package to take a look and hopefully you can track back on which line/machine it was processed, and the cause eliminated.

Here I have 2 photos of the disc (sorry the forum software won't let me posting correct links):

http :// misc.h-plus-t.com/getaway.jpg
http :// misc.h-plus-t.com/getaway_dataside.jpg (scratched side)

iam2diezel

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Kevin,

I am on my second Bourne Ultimatum disc ordered straight from Amazon. I was able to watch it the first time on my Toshiba A-3 without a problem. Upon a second viewing, I received an error at just about the point where he drives off the roof. The video locked up and then I was given an error by the player, and the disc would not play past that point. I updated the firmware, which made things worse, giving me jittery video throughout, as well as freezes. I sent the first disc back to Amazon, got a replacement, popped it in as soon as I got it, and ran into the same issues. I'd like to send this disc in to you instead of going back and forth with Amazon. Please let me know if I can send this disc to you. Thanks.

froteur

Auditioning
Real Name
Perry

kevin,

i am having the similar problem with bourne ultimatum iam2diezel. it too, is my second copy but i got mine from best buy. like iam2diezel, i was wondering if i could send mine in.

thanks.

-perry-

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Hi Kevin --

Are you still accepting problem discs? I have a SUPERMAN RETURNS that keeps locking up at a certain point. It's my second copy and I'd like to make sure I get working replacement. Thanks in advance.

Mark

PLEASE DISREGARD -- I just saw your post on the previous page indicating that you closed the program at the beginning of January. That's what I get for not reading all the way through before posting!

LonnyE

Auditioning
Real Name
Lonny Eckert
Hi Kevin,

Any status updates on any of us later senders? Your compatriot probably received my TOS 9 disk very early January.

LonnyE

Auditioning
Real Name
Lonny Eckert

Kevin,

Received my disk back last night. Flawless playback. Thank you!

Was anything learned by this program?

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Well, whaddya know...?

I had just gotten home from work earlier this evening when I heard a loud knock on my door from a UPS delivery driver.

I signed for two packages with my name on each of them.

One was a BD firmware upgrade disc from Samsung.

The other one was...my Brokeback Mountain HD/DVD combo disc.

I tried Brokeback out at the scene where the problem occurred.

Not only did it play through flawlessly...

...but it also looked better than ever, all the way from the tears which were shed by applicable notables...

...but also the beard growth and stubble on the faces of Jake and Mr. Heath.

I am so much happier now. And, in lieu of Mr. Heath's untimely passing, much more appreciative of having this title back in my HD DVD collection.

Thanks a bunch, Kevin. I appreciate this. :)

And, like Lonny, I am curious as well in learning of any findings from those discs which were submitted. :)

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Gee, Kevin. That's too bad you only picked up 18 discs. I thought you would have surely received more discs on what I thought was a wonderful program. I had no idea that this formatting was based on the old WS/FF DVD's from years gone by. In looking over all my HD/DVD combo discs, that was something I had thought about. In my previous HD/DVD Brokeback Mountain incarnation, the SD side played flawlessly.

Nonetheless, I am so very glad I participated in this fine program. Thank you very much. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks