What's new

Analog Setup (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

This is the $64,000 question with my receiver, a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi, and I cannot seem to definitively answer this question. When I test, and I have my Toshiba's speaker settings set to the default (size=large, distance=0, level=0, and crossover=120), what should expect my readings on my SPL meter to read if my receiver is performing bass management on my analog inputs? Should the sub's db output match the other speakers?

Also, is it possible that my receiver's setting are being applied to my analog inputs except the sub? Is this a common occurrence?

I need to re-test, but last time I tested at 75db the speakers were all in line with one another plus/minus a couple db and they were consistently 7db lower than SPDIF, but the sub was the exception being 15db lower than SPDIF.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Since you want the Subwoofer SPL to be approx. +2 to +10 dB above your Speakers 75 dBc, if you can't use your Pioneer to do that, then do what I did, and change the most efficient SPKR SPL Setting = -12 dB (Toshiba Speaker Setting), and then match the rest of your speaker to = 75 dBc ALL Around. Next play the Toshiba Subwoofer Test Tone and check to see where your Subwoofer (Toshiba Speaker SUB Setting = 0) SPL is. Hopefully, it is more than 75 dBc.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have the Outlaw ICBM, which I have been using with my DVD-A/SACD player. For the time being I have the analog connections going to the HDA1 instead and have been trying to figure out the proper setup. I certainly have no lack of bass when the scene calls for it (only disc I have right now is Batman Begins), but part of me feels something is not quite right.

After reading this thread I need to change a couple things:
- set crossover to 120Hz instead of 80Hz (thanks for the info Phil)
- set speaker distances to 0 (makes sense because the receiver also has distance settings)

For now I am just going with the HDA1's internal tones and setting levels even all around. But strangely I get very low/no level test tone for the sub, though in movie LFE is significant and with playback of both CDs and DVDs.

Despite all the tweaking I haven't decided whether to go with analog connections or the SPDIF. I just want to get it set up properly so I can do a valid comparison.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There's a relatively simple test to find out if bass-management is applied on the analog inputs of your receiver/decoder.

(1) set the Toshiba's (or any other connected source's, if applicable) speakers all to large.
(2) Do not connect the Toshiba's (or other source's) sub output -> input of the receiver; leave this input open.
(3) set bass-management on on the receiver (by setting all speakers to "small", make sure 'subwoofer' is "on" - or whatever this is termed).
(4) play a sequence with some good sound/music having audible low bass frequencies in the center and/or L/R mains.

If the receiver does not apply bass-management, you won't hear anything coming from the sub. If it does, the lower frequencies of the mains can be heard through the sub.

Cees

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Not to get too off-topic, but I thought the Rotel RSX-1057 had HDMI inputs which would mean you don't need to use the analog outs?

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
just bought my player and after they upgrade he firmware will have it next week...any suggestions on settings from Denon owners? ...i have the 2803 with a full Paradigm surround spr system (CC350 - ADP170s - Monitor 5s and PS1200)- on settings? thx

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marano,

If you want bass-management and the Rotel won't do this on those inputs (also see my previous post for a simple check), you may want to use the Toshiba's bass-management, in which case you have to set them: set all speakers of the Tosh to Small. Set cross-over in the Tosh to 80Hz (or whatever you like for that setting).

The Rotel's setting of the cross-over and speakers (Small/Large) won't do a thing then, so better leave it at a convenient setting for the other inputs you may be using.

Cees

marano

Auditioning
Real Name
frank

The Rotel RSX-1057 doesn't apply Bass Management to it's analog inputs, I have been using Toshiba's bass management for quite some time but I'm not happy with being limited by the 80Hz for the cross-over, hopefully there will be more options (60HZ) and the ability to set the cross-over for each speaker with a future firmware upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks