What's new

Analog connection in addition to digital? (1 Viewer)

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All:

I am in the middle of ordering cables (literally I have my shopping cart minimized at the bottom of my screen!) Anyway, since both my DVD player and my CD player are pretty out-of-date compared to my new AV Receiver (Denon 3803), I plan to use the DACs in the receiver as much as possible.

With that goal in mind, I have ordered digital coax output cables for both my DVD and CD. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall reading that, in addition to the digital outs, one should also wire these devices for analog outs.

Is this the case? For both DVD and CD? Why again? I thank you, as well as my cable retailer (especially if you talk me into adding analog connections to my shopping cart:D ) I await your responses.

Nick

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The only reason i could think of would be:

On some receivers, the digital signal, after it is converted is not sent to the headphone jack.

On some receivers, the digital signal, after it is converted is not sent to the tape loop output.

Other than that, I could see no reason- aside from doing comparisons.

-vince

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you so much for the quick reply, Vince. It was one of those situations where I seemed to remember reading that it was a good idea, but logically, I could not explain what on earth the reason would be. I will now go back to my shopping cart...

BTW, my Digital Video Essentials just arrived as I was tying this reply. After reading some posts, I am starting to feel a bit intimidated. Deep breaths and lots of repetition seem to be in order. Take care, and thanks again.

Nick

tom derby

Agent
i have a denon 2803 and i ran both sets because zone 2 will only play analog sources, so if you have everything hooked up through digital inputs than you won't be able to play any of it to a second zone. Might not matter to you though if you aren't using it to play music in a second zone.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Unless you have a SACD system, you should only need the digital connection.

Some CATV systems offer "Digital" service with a CATV box equipped with a digital output. But the digital output only works on the 'digital' channels, usually above 100.

In this case, you need both the digital and L/R analog connections - but it is a real pain unless your reciever auto-detects the change.

Most people go with just analog L/R cables from the CATV box for this reason.

Could this be what you are thinking of?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks