What's new

An open invitation to Warner to discuss your catalog titles (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am currently watching The Thin Man films from the excellent DVD set. The image quality is very good and there are hundreds of reviews on Amazon. I think this is a good indicator that a blu-ray set would be successful.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
That assumes a healthy amount of those people would pay for them again to upgrade to HD. I imagine Warner looked very carefully at the sales of the classic Gangster films to see if films from that era would sell again in a box set.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brandon Conway said:
That assumes a healthy amount of those people would pay for them again to upgrade to HD. I imagine Warner looked very carefully at the sales of the classic Gangster films to see if films from that era would sell again in a box set.
You're right if that box set didn't sell enough units then the outlook for more films from that era doesn't look good. At least, in regard to box set of more than one film.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Brandon Conway said:
You're probably right, but I hope not. Warner's gansters films have always been down the list for me. I really thought at least the Thin Man and the Astaire/Rogers films would be out by now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoeDoakes said:
You're probably right, but I hope not. Warner's gansters films have always been down the list for me. I really thought at least the Thin Man and the Astaire/Rogers films would be out by now.
If Bogart and Cagney can't sell then there is a problem.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah a problem with their marketing department and this constant need for immediate success rather than a long term outlook.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
While I agree, I think the Astaire/Rogers set might have a marginally wider appeal. Being musicals and romances, they might attract more female consumers than gangsters and mysteries.For myself, I bought all three collections day one on DVD and Gangsters day one on Blu.Also, I don't recall the marketing for Gangsters highlighting Bogart or Cagney (although I could be wrong).Personally, I think if the marketing were better (educating the average consumer about the rich history), then maybe catalog titles would sell better.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I had no interest in the gangsters set so I didn't buy it. I DID buy their James Dean set, however. Hopefully when they look at the sales of that one they consider worldwide sales. Many of the members here, including myself, imported it from France or the UK because it was so much cheaper than the set released here in North America.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
David Weicker said:
Personally, I think if the marketing were better (educating the average consumer about the rich history), then maybe catalog titles would sell better.
Sadly, I don't think any amount of marketing is going to get the average film-goer to watch, let alone buy, 70-80 year-old black & white films.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Ken Koc said:
There are many that prefer Astaire and Rogers ( Blu would be fantastic) than Bogart and Cagney.
Some prefer both-in my case I'm a Cagney and Astaire completist. I will pick up the gangsters blu-ray at some point but my disc dollars are going for new stuff-the Warner Archive Cagneys, "Johnny Come Lately" in blu-ray from Olive. I'm sure there are others like me. An upgrade is great but something you don't have at all is better-the collector's mindset, at least in my case. Wish there was more Astaire available-his TV movies & specials. Not to mention-where is Fred's "The Amazing Dobermans!"

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Ken Koc said:
There are many that prefer Astaire and Rogers ( Blu would be fantastic) than Bogart and Cagney.
Certainly Top Hat and Swing Time are worthy of a Blu-ray release (under today's restrictive market conditions).. I would expect at least those to come out eventually.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
Certainly Top Hat and Swing Time are worthy of a Blu-ray release (under today's restrictive market conditions).. I would expect at least those to come out eventually.
Let's remember they're originally RKO films which means the film elements are very questionable. Warner will not release any film onto BD if it doesn't meet its standards. Perhaps, MPI that does much of their restoration work can pull off a miracle.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Worth said:
Sadly, I don't think any amount of marketing is going to get the average film-goer to watch, let alone buy, 70-80 year-old black & white films.
Yes we are past that age where the average film-goer would remember them when they came out. Now only bilm buffs would buy them, but fortunately film buffs buy a lot of movies, and a classic is a classic, no matter what the era.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
Yes we are past that age where the average film-goer would remember them when they came out. Now only bilm buffs would buy them, but fortunately film buffs buy a lot of movies, and a classic is a classic, no matter what the era.
Only problem there isn't enough of us, film buffs to buy these classics. At least, not in this region, otherwise, there would be more BD releases as studios do like making money.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Robert Crawford said:
Let's remember they're originally RKO films which means the film elements are very questionable. Warner will not release any film onto BD if it doesn't meet its standards. Perhaps, MPI that does much of their restoration work can pull off a miracle.
Well I remember that the DVDs do look very decent, so hopefully a lot of the necessary work has already been done.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
Well I remember that the DVDs do look very decent, so hopefully a lot of the necessary work has already been done.
Two different animals. Just because it looked good on DVD doesn't mean it will pass the muster in 1080p.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Robert Crawford said:
Only problem there isn't enough of us, film buffs to buy these classics. At least, not in this region, otherwise, there would be more BD releases as studios do like making money.
That's true, but if TT can justify releasing a films like The Wayward Bus, then I think there's room for movies like Top Hat and Swing Time, which are not only much better movies, but more popular as well (judging by # of IMDb votes anyway).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
bruceames said:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks