What's new

an observation about chrysler (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Plus there's just plain too much rolling stock out there. Part of the borrowing-debt-fiesta which has been going on for the last 20 or so years and popped into this glorius orgasm of catastrophe we call the modern economy was people borrowing to buy cars. Buy a new car when you want, not when the old one wears out. That's been the order of the day. That day is OVER. People are going to own fewer cars and keep them longer. The industry must contract.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fiat is essentially being handed a 20 percent stake in Chrysler in exchange for sharing their technology with Chrysler, mainly for using in carving out a fuel-efficient sector at the bottom end of Chrysler's product line. Part of what's killed Chrysler is that they don't have smaller fuel efficient cars like GM and Ford do. The Focus and Fusion have been huge successes for Ford in recently years, especially since Ford began marketing them as fuel efficient before gas prices soared to $4+ a gallon. They've stayed strong even now that gas prices have plunged. GM has the Chevy Aveo and the Chevy Cobalt (starting at $13,000 and $16,500 respectively) which both get 34 miles to gallon highway. Ford is also has its more fuel-efficient European models to turn to; the Fiesta is returning to North America in 2010 while the global 2010 Focus will be based on the superior European version of the car instead of the cheaper-to-build North American design. Chrysler's most affordable car is the Sebring, which was plagued with problems through the 1990's, starts at $22,000 after employee discount, and gets 21 mpg max. Dodge has one compact, the Caliber, at $16,000 with employee pricing, which gets "up to" 30 mpg. The Avenger is as bad as the Seabring in terms of price, and just plain looks bulky. The next closest vehicle left is the Dodge Callenger, a stylish beast of a car that isn't exactly targeted at the suburban sedan market.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I had a 1996 Avenger and it was much better than the new versions. It was basically the Sebring but for non-golfers. ;)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the Neon was replaced by the Caliber. But because it is limited to a hatchback configuration, it's seen as a glorified station wagon in a way that the Neon wasn't.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I certainly don't blame the media for the automakers' current predicament but if there's one industry that all but relies on the advertising dollars of what was once the Big Three it's major media. Flip to the front of just about any magazine on any topic and right under the agency contact listings for New York and San Francisco you'll find one for Detroit. I don't see any other businesses out there that will be willing or able to fill that massive ad hole if the car companies go under or cut way back.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
BTW, I haven't kept up on this as much as I should have, but I thought Chrysler was bought by Mercedes a few years ago and then sold to a Canadian based parts manufacturer last year. So who does own Chrysler?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Not every car company is losing sales. Mini, Subaru and Rolls-Royce actually have sold more cars in the last year than in the years previous. (Reuters)

But thats neither here-nor-there I guess. Daimler-Chrysler does have some nice cars......

Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger - The 300 is simply an amazing full-sized sedan. Better looking than anything from Lincoln or Cadillac IMHO. The Charger is the police cruiser. Of course both of these (and the challenger/magnum) were all based on last generation Mercedes-Benz E-class platforms, so not state-of-the-art or anything, but still pretty sweet rides.

Dodge Viper - Still awesome. Still $100,000

Dodge Challenger/Charger SRT8 - 430hp. 15 years ago you had to buy a Viper or a Lamborghini to get that kind of power.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
There is one unmarked dark blue Charger and two unmarked silver Magnums with black tinted windows that patrol I65 daily. Very hard to spot in a crowd. Makes me paranoid of all Chargers and Magnums now. ;)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I wrote off domestic cars 9 years ago when I bought my Toyota. I bought a new 1993 Chevy Cavalier which started having mechanical problems at about 50,000 miles and almost made it to 128,000 miles before the engine went kaput, then I bought a new 1997 Pontiac Sunfire which got a lousy 60,000 miles before I started having engine trouble and I traded it at 98,000 miles for a 2000 Toyota Celica which has had zero mechanical issues since the day I drove it off the showroom floor. All I've had to replace are tires, wiper blades and headlights. Heck, even the brakes were still in pretty good shape after 150,000 miles! After 9 years and 211,000 miles, the paint may be peeling but I'd take it over an overpriced domestic any day. Oh yeah, I still get 33+mpg highway. :emoji_thumbsup:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
You'd have to pay me a LOT of money to own anothr Chrysler/Dodge product,

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I understand what you're saying, I burned thru two Ford Rangers before switching to a Nissan P/U. But comparing a '93 Cavalier and a '97 Sunfire to an 2000 Camry just ain't fair!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I agree they look good.....but after my bad experience with Chrysler about 12 years ago, the economy could be good or bad and it won't matter to me. Chrysler could dress up a new model like a Ferrari and sell it for $10,000 and I'm still not going to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks