What's new

" An Evening With Kevin Smith " -- The funniest thing I have ever seen? (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I liked Jersy Girl!

There, I said it, I clearly have no taste in films. I thought it was great, loved Carlin in the film, thought Affleck was fine, thought the film as a whole was a decent studio comedy.

I haven't bought the first "Evening" so I'm hoping for some kind of deal when this second one comes out.

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned this disc for like 2 years, I think it has great rewatchability. Even though you know how the story turns out, the way he tells it makes it funny every single time. I would recommend picking this up if you get a chance.

Can't wait for the second one...

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Thats good to hear that this first one has a good replay value. I just checked the price, and it seems the cheapest you can get it for is ~$21. I think I'll wait for the price to come down a bit before picking up though.

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator

DeepDiscountDvd is cuurently running their 20% sale. You can get it there for ~$17.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
ugh.

Ok, Im convinced.

Im gonna have to pick this up and seems like great timing as there are only 5 or so releases I want in the next 5 months.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I was just watching the original "an evening with kevin smith" last night on dvd. and on chapter 22 at 3:39 of disc 1 (during his discussion about GWEN) he metions the word "on" and it sounds like either the mic has a hiccup or it could be a audio imperfection. I was just wondering if it's on all discs or just mine. Thanks.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I just watched "Evening Harder" (AEWKS 2) and I have to say that it was a bit of a disappointment, not nearly as funny as the first one, but this I think can partially be attributed to the audience(s) and the format...the original was cobbled together from several different appearances so the cream of the crop could be selected from in order to edit together a very funny set, the double disc sequel was taken from two complete shows from Canada (on disc 1) & England (on disc 2), the British session by far being the funnier of the two. I guess I felt that it simple lacked the spontaneity of the original and you could clearly see that Smith really had a hard time gauging the two audiences and was just a bit more "I'm a star" this time around...don't get me wrong, he was just as self effacing as he always is but to me it had a slight ring of falseness to it this time around. Maybe it's just me.

Rent this one before buying is my advice as those going in expecting the same charming comic success as before might be in for a bit of a letdown...it's funny mind you, and the follow up to the Prince story on the 2003 set is hilarious, but those moments are few and far between on this DVD set. In My Opinion anyway.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I thought Smith said right at the beginning of the Canadian one that that show was the second one. The first one wasn't filmed or had a problem so they did it again.

I agree, skip disc 1 and go right to disc 2.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ok, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything I mentioned....sorry if I'm being dense.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I agree that "Evening Harder" wasn't nearly as entertaining as "Evening". I recently read on his official site that they either have been or are filming new Q&A shows for another release so hopefully it will be better.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I believe the third one is in post right now. I'm sure Kev said recently on his blog that he's seen the rough cut.

Currently on my way through these again right now. Have them on my media player and watch about 15-20 minutes a night. I still love the story of Jay's "tape".

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Mark_Wilson said:
I thought Smith said right at the beginning of the Canadian one that that show was the second one. The first one wasn't filmed or had a problem so they did it again.
I agree, skip disc 1 and go right to disc 2.
I was personally there, (And *ahem* I'm the curly haired kid with glasses who asks a question on Chapter 26 I think) so just to clarify, there was a Q&A held earlier that year in the same location, (Roy Thompson Hall) that apparantly went over really well. The problem of course was that a lot of people there were expected it again on camera, and so as someone who was NOT at the first one, it definantly felt like we were in the shadow of that prior Q&A. (Why did we need to waste time on questions about movie opinions for instance?) I woke up that morning all the way in Ottawa and travelled over on a Carleton University roadtrip just for the Q&A and it was definantly worth it to be there none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks