What's new

An early glimpse of 'Toy Story'... (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I don't always agree with reviews at DVD Beaver, but this time there seems little room for doubt, given the nature of the material. Their review is up for 'Toy Story', with a good selection of screen caps, and they look stunning. The color might seem a bit warm in a couple of shots; maybe not. Take a gander.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews17/toy_story_dvd_review.htm

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Looks great, those shots also reveal that the first dvd looked pretty good and the 10th anny one looked very very good.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For the few holdouts who claim they see very little difference between BD and DVD (I am referencing some non-HTF friends I have) those screenshots should be evidence enough to the contrary. Those Toy Story DVDs were reference quality at the time and the improvement between them and the BD is night and day.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Looks so good you would never know the original movie was rendered at considerably less than 1080p.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Eric F /forum/thread/298655/an-early-glimpse-of-toy-story#post_3667432

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ATimson

Which brings up a question I have: were these rerendered straight to digital (during the process of getting everything modernized for the 3D changes), or are these an old print?
I could be wrong but I thought the 10th anniversary DVD came from the digital files.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Wilkins

I don't always agree with reviews at DVD Beaver, but this time there seems little room for doubt, given the nature of the material. Their review is up for 'Toy Story', with a good selection of screen caps, and they look stunning. The color might seem a bit warm in a couple of shots; maybe not. Take a gander.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews17/toy_story_dvd_review.htm
**Gulp.**

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Eric F

Looks so good you would never know the original movie was rendered at considerably less than 1080p.
Both of the films have been completely re-rendered since their original releases though, so I doubt that's accurate here.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
eventually all Pixar films will be re-released in 3-D. Up and the Toy Story trilogy will be the 1st 3-D titles cause they've already been released that way. but later on, i suspect all of it will be. i did watch TS1&2 in the cinema during the 3-D re-release and i'm excited to own it all on 3-D.

i think the prices for the BDs will be very low though... so i suppose this'll hold me over til then.

PLUS, even if you owned the BD3D discs... it's not like the 2-D movie just DISAPPEARED! you can still watch it in 2-D! =P

regarding "masters" there is no "film negative" for these things. everything is stored on the computer/server somewhere in Pixar-renderfarms. all they gotta do is encode them into DVDs or BDs straight from the computer =P.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by JediFonger

regarding "masters" there is no "film negative" for these things. everything is stored on the computer/server somewhere in Pixar-renderfarms. all they gotta do is encode them into DVDs or BDs straight from the computer =P.
That's all they have to do if they can still load the files. Getting fifteen-year-old files loaded into modern CGI software was probably not a trivial task. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Look at the scales on the Dinosaur and the texture on the dog's nose and the wood grain on the bed post. The Blu-ray is miles ahead of the DVD!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Either way, this looks like an exciting release. Seeing them in 3-D reminded me just why I love these films, and why I can't wait for Toy Story 3. The art, the story, the characters, the craftsmanship, the excitement. But for now I can live without the 3-D effect, it was just gravy (but a rich gravy nonetheless).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
that's the great thing about CG movies. you can keep improving the polygon and texture and lighting, etc . over time if you really wanted.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by JediFonger

that's the great thing about CG movies. you can keep improving the polygon and texture and lighting, etc . over time if you really wanted.
That must be why George Lucas is so fixated on it.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I wouldn't want Pixar or anyone else to make any artistic changes to a movie, but I do appreciate that CGI allows the film to be re-rendered as necessary, for high-definition, 3D, etc.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah it's a fine line. It could be argued that the special effects at the time, no matter how dated it may look now, represented the artistic capabilities of the people who worked on it. Especially if that film won awards for them, to re-render later could be argued that it overwrites the award-winning efforts of the time.

Luckily I'm not one of those people.

As long as there are no substantive story/character/dialogue changes (i.e. Greedo shooting first, Bring My Shuttle, etc.) then in general I'm fine with CGI correction/re-rendering. I see it more like removal of matte lines, etc. I would generally not want more special effects (i.e. how Lucas took the Mos Eisley scene and added a bajillion buildings and creatures to it), but if Pixar goes back and simply re-renders the scene to existing HD specs, adding textures, smoothing out polygons, etc. I'm okay with that. Now if they went in and added 50 new toys to the scene...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think Pixar did fine with the 3D conversion of the two Toy Story films; they didn't add things being thrown in your face, but instead made it subtle and atmospheric. For me to see the extent of what, if anything, had been changed in re-rendering means I'd have to run an original 35mm print from 1995 side-by-side with the 1080p master.

I'm not against fixing special effects goofs like bad mattes, or re-combining things digitally to remove the generation loss from optical compositing (when possible). In fact, I welcome it as long as it recreates the original type of effects with today's better processing technology. It's the Lucas-type stuff that bothers me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks