1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

amp advice for magnapans?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by byron, Oct 3, 2006.

1. byron

byron Member

I have a pair of older maggies - any advice on a reasonably-priced amp to use? it will probably be used from time to time to drive 2 pairs of paradigm bookshelf speakers (linked in parallel). thanks!

2. John Brill

John Brill Well-Known Member

Define reasonabe for price?

The only two times I've experienced Maggies in action, they were both powered by NADs. Can't remember model numbers of the NADs though :-(

How big are your Maggies?

3. byron

byron Member

btw, it occurs to me to maybe spec this amp as the basis for a new HT system for the basement - so, full receiver (multi-channel) advice is welcome. My main objective is to match something well with the maggies (don't know if their design works better with one type of amp vs. another - you know, Class A, etc.?)

- Byron

4. byron

byron Member

these are ~6 ft tall, 1/5 ft wide. at least 4 yrs old.

reasonable price depends on if I just get a 2way amp = ~$300-$500, or a full integrated HT 5.1 or 7.1 receiver (much more $$$!)

5. John Brill

Byron,

You might want to read the following FAQ at Magnepan: http://www.magnepan.com/faq.php#power

Basically, they recommend a receiver that specifies power in 4 ohms as I suspect you have MG3.5's or MG3.6's. Yamaha use to have a switch for 4-8 ohms. Don't think they still do that...

6. byron

byron Member

yes, I read that some time ago - basically, you have to be careful about published amp ratings to make sure you really have desired perfomance at 4ohms. thanks!

7. John Brill

No worries, i'd look at the NAD T743 or T753 ($700-$1000) as Receiver options (at 45lbs, make sure you put it in the right place the first time around!).

However, I'm sure the Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, H/K mid-range lines (similar price as NAD) would also handle the Maggies adequately.

8. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Well-Known Member

Well, you might have a hard time finding them nowadays, but I'd say give a nice Citation amp a try. I have Maggies all around (sans sub of course) and use Citation 7.1 and 5.1 amps. I simply love those amps and it sounds, to me, really great!

9. Justintiime

Justintiime New Member

I got my NAD T751 5.1 receiver for ~$200 on ebay and it works great!

10. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Well-Known Member

I have Maggies all around and use an Outlaw Audio 7500. I went from a using a Yamaha receiver to power them to the Outlaw and it really opened the Maggies up (the Yamaha is now the pre). I am very happy with this combo, one of the best upgrades I have done in awhile.
    Jeff

11. byron

byron Member

yes, I have a Citation 7.1 driving my HT system (paradigms front and back, and a legacy KEF center, with a Lexicon processor) - it does sound great! I demoed an Outlaw, as well - great for the $.

this is going to be a seperate system in the basement - wife relegated the Maggies down there :-(

I will probably try out the NAD - heard nothing but good things about them. thanks!

12. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Well-Known Member

Second this as well since they can be found for a steal on ebay.