1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Amityville 3D Blu-ray release confirmed by Scream (aka Shout) Factory

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, May 8, 2013.

1. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

Actually, it's just for the 3D disk rental--
    (Most of their rentals are $5-7, but this's a special case.)

But let's be honest, were you REALLY buying the boxset for A2:the Possession? ;)

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    When you wrote "Yes, it's pretty much the same price as buying the set, but at least here, you have the option of NOT keeping it." I read that to mean you could buy the set for $20. $40 is not pretty much the same.

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Message received from Jeff Joseph of Sabucat:

4. pinknik

pinknik Well-Known Member

Greg
    Thanks for this critique, GregK. Just out of curiosity, do you find that Bob Berneir's Spacevision footage looks better than the 80's stuff you've seen?

5. GregK

GregK Well-Known Member

Thanks, and to answer your question: YES - SpaceVision looks substantially better than most of the single strip 80's material. Certainly with THE BUBBLE. No chromatic aberrations, little to no vignetting, overall uniform left/right focus, etc.. It is clear to me Col. Berneir really wanted this first ever major single strip shot feature technically be the best it could be. Now with that being said, I have not watched a couple of the other SpaceVision shot 3-D features in a long while, so mileage on those may vary...

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  6. pinknik

pinknik Well-Known Member

Greg
    I watched all of Amityville 3-D yesterday. It's still fun, but it definitely would have been nice if the transfer had been handled with more care. One thing I noticed was that in certain shots, one eye would be darker than the other, at least in parts of the frame. Is that something you noticed? I found it more disturbing at times than the negative parallax items cut off at the frame (which it has quite a few). Thanks.

7. GregK

GregK Well-Known Member

Left/right timing issues were typically inadvertent artifacts of the single strip Arrivision rig, which I too found at times a bit distracting. These 3-D issues can also often be corrected, or in a few cases, at least minimized.

8. Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore Well-Known Member

Todd Moore
  9. RolandL

RolandL Well-Known Member

Roland Lataille
  10. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Member

Daniel Bakken
    Sold Out

11. RolandL

Roland Lataille
    Received in the mail today! Just bought it for the 3D title.

12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I was glad to be able to pick up the disc, but underwhelmed at the quality - same issues that have been noted by everyone else on here. Additionally, my active TV has trouble with ghosting on titles like this and Dial M, House of Wax, etc., but this one was the worst in terms of what I've seen on my TV. It's the only 3D disc I've seen to date where I had to stop and give my eyes a rest halfway through.

13. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

I finally splurged and rented it from 3DBR this weekend, and....it looks pretty good, AFAICS.

Yes, the ghosting's pretty bad on the pop-outs, but I'm old enough to remember them looking even worse on the big screen. :wacko: (I don't think I ever saw one pop out that ever actually worked on the big screen for that entire decade, outside of the theme-park movies.)
    At least the dying real-estate agent's hand seemed to be coming "out" of the screen, although the floating seance ball was almost unrecognizable. Bob F kept saying that a popout-heavy 80's film wouldn't adjust to the parallax of Blu, and while I can't say he's right, I can't say it's perfect either.

As far as the film quality, I remember them looking like that too--A general fuzziness and darkness, and that's what's put me back in time to the 80's more than the actors, the clothes or teenage Meg Ryan. Just had to stop and realize the 3D movies now look better than they ever did on 80's projection equipment, and the clear depth on a movie made back when conversions didn't exist more than made up for it.

14. RolandL

Roland Lataille