What's new

AMISTAD and ALWAYS??? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Next to Close Encounters, Amistad and Always are my favorite Spielberg films. Hope blurays are not to distant. Have not seen War Horse yet , but it does look very good.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Always is with Universal, and I can see it coming eventually, but probably not this year since their Spielberg focus will be on Jaws and ET. Universal also has Duel, Sugarland Express, 1941, and Schindler's List.

Amistad is DreamWorks (with Paramount distributing), and I could see a possible release timed with the video release of War Horse since they are both heavier dramas. However, since Paramount is working with Lucasfilm & Spielberg to prioritize the first three Indiana Jones films for a Fall 2012 release it may not get the attention it needs. DreamWorks also has Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, and Munich.

That leaves just the Warner owned Empire of the Sun absent from Blu-ray, and it's recently been listed as coming to the UK by amazon.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004S6E26K), so one can suppose it's getting a US release in 2012 as well.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
As a Spielberg junkie, I look forward to the arrival of ALL of these remaining titles. The existing versions of Always and 1941 are sad relics of the laserdisc era that are in dire need of an update. Amistad and Carch Me If You Can need video releases that aren't ruined by horrible player-generated text at the end. E.T. needs a truly comprehensive treatment. And any Indiana Jones set had better include ALL the content from the various DVD releases...

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Thanks Brandon for the info. Munich is a film I liked very much also.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Actually, AMISTAD, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and THE TERMINAL are the only DreamWorks films still waiting for release from Paramount. US video rights to MUNICH are with Universal, not DreamWorks. I also don't know that Paramount will have any interest in tying anything to WAR HORSE, as it's released by Disney since DreamWorks is now really just a production company based there.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by James Luckard

Actually, AMISTAD, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and THE TERMINAL are the only DreamWorks films still waiting for release from Paramount.
US video rights to MUNICH are with Universal, not DreamWorks.
I also don't know that Paramount will have any interest in tying anything to WAR HORSE, as it's released by Disney since DreamWorks is now really just a production company based there.

RE: Munich - imdb.com lists DreamWorks first in company credits, hence my assumption. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408306/companycredits

RE: War Horse - I totally forgot that Paramount now only distributes the DreamWorks live action catalog and not the new films. Thanks for the clarification.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Brandon Conway said:
RE: Munich - imdb.com lists DreamWorks first in company credits, hence my assumption. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408306/companycredits RE: War Horse - I totally forgot that Paramount now only distributes the DreamWorks live action catalog and not the new films. Thanks for the clarification.
re: MUNICH - That's just an IMDB error. Universal released Munich both in theaters and on video in the US. It's an understandable mistake though, as many Spielberg-directed films at DreamWorks were co-productions, in which case the other studio distributed in the US and DreamWorks distributed overseas, but Dreamworks always got domestic video rights and the other company then got foreign video. Munich was the only Spielberg DreamWorks coproduction where theatrical and video rights in the US were not split - Universal got both - not doubt partly because they distributed DreamWorks Home Video in the US anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks