What's new

American Idol - Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I never liked Blake Lewis when he was on that year, IMO beat boxing isn't singing, it's making noise.

By that reasoning I should make it on AI because I can burp the Star Spangled Banner.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The one girl in that group that thought they were hot shit could be in a separated at birth with Vivian from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door:

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

I never liked Blake Lewis when he was on that year, IMO beat boxing isn't singing, it's making noise.

By that reasoning I should make it on AI because I can burp the Star Spangled Banner.

I'm sure we covered our opinions of Blake Lewis when he was on the show. People like what they like, but that's subjective, not objective. I personally have no problem with beat boxing. In fact, I like it. But I agree with you that it isn't singing. I don't think most beat boxers would call it singing. Doug E. Fresh knows he can't sing, but I believe he thinks he can make vocal music. Where I disagree with you is I don't think it's making noise. I think it's making music. But that's not what AI's about. So while I might like Roller Derby, I don't think it belongs in a Miss America competition. I also don't think a focus on beatboxing belongs on AI. I think Jay really doesn't get it.

Beat boxing is uniquely tied to the musical genre of hip-hop, so if you don't like that kind of music, I can't see you liking beat boxing much. To me, beat boxing is the vocal equivalent (in the hip hop genre) of "vocalizing" or "scatting" in jazz. And if Ella Fitzgerald and Bobby McFerrin aren't singers, I don't know who is. The problem (for me) with Jay is his singing is a distant afterthought to his beatboxing, and when he purely sings, you realize there's nothing noteworthy there. I just went back and listened to Blake's audition (yes, it's one of the ones I saved), and he was vocally much better than Jay.

What I miss with AI is if this were SYTYCD, the'd bring Jay back and let him do his thing for entertainment value even though he didn't fit as a contestant to make it past Hollywood. That's what SYTYCD does with some of the (for instance) break dancers who aren't flexible enough to handle the varied genre's of dance SYTYCD requires, but are talented in their own realm.

Watching the most recent episode (Wednesday), I got a chance to see both of the guys I wanted to see. As I suspected, Seth Rollins didn't make it far. It's difficult to be disappointed as he just doesn't seem like AI material. I can't even imagine him in the studio and touring under crushing deadlines. People who think the group performances are pointless, don't forget what AI requires of contestants as they make it past hollywood week - learning songs quickly, and even touring with the Top 10 if you make it there. Seth looks like while they're going over arrangements, he'd be staring out the window at butterflies I didn't realize Seth had been there twice before. Maybe failing to make it the first two times impacted his confidence. But the music business isn't a game for the timid.

We also got to hear a bit from Jermaine Sellers again. I didn't hear enough to be impressed, but he did make it through. This self-avowed church boy singer made sure to let us know he's not meant to sing in a group. I guess he doesn't sing in the choir at church. I hope I'm not wrong about him, but his confidence is bordering on arrogant. Get it in check. You're good, but nobody's going to rush out and sign you if you get dropped from AI tomorrow. Anyway, if they're using Top 24 format this season, that means I get to hear at least one solo performance from him with music.

BTW, without bringing up the pro's/con's of Adam Lambert (who I think is one of the most.. something... contestants AI has ever had), can someone send out a search party for Kris Allen? I mean, wow. Has a loser from AI ever had a career post-AI that so totally eclipsed the winner? OK, maybe Jennifer Hudson, but still...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Clay over Reuben all the way back in Season 2. And Daughtrey over Taylor even though Daughtrey wasn't even in the finals.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I didn't watch AI at all in the first 3 seasons, but I knew about Reuben. I knew of his CD. I heard people talking about him in the R&B community. So while I know Clay did well post-idol, Reuben did OK. It's always possible something just slides under my rader because there are times I get so immersed in work that the world just goes by, but I've seen almost no interest in Kris Allen.
Your second example hits on exactly the vibe I get -- Daughtry over Taylor. Even though I don't follow rock closely, I've seen Daughtry everywhere. Taylor? Not so much. That's how it is for me over the last year with Adam Lambert and Kris Allen. On the surface, winning AI is supposed to be the best these unsigned singers could ever hope for, so it must be really disappointing to win, then see another artist get all the exposure.
Of course it doesn't bother me, because I was an Adam fan from day 1. But where exactly are all the Kris fans who supported him during his AI run? Or were they just voting against Adam? Adam even was a punchline by Stephen Colbert at the Grammys. Something about something being as likely to happen as Adam Lambert showing any sign of personal restraint. That's when you know you've made it.

I'm looking forward to next week. I watched all the episodes up to now in abbreviated fashion (a lot of 5-second and 30-second skips during dvr viewings). Now I start watching live (or at least within 24 hours, depending on conflicts). It's a shame the Top 24 can't sing whatever they want from the approved list, but it looks like AI has settled on theme weeks during the Top 24 (not just Top 12).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco
Your second example hits on exactly the vibe I get -- Daughtry over Taylor. Even though I don't follow rock closely, I've seen Daughtry everywhere. Taylor? Not so much. That's how it is for me over the last year with Adam Lambert and Kris Allen. On the surface, winning AI is supposed to be the best these unsigned singers could ever hope for, so it must be really disappointing to win, then see another artist get all the exposure.
"Not so much" is one helluva understatement. Taylor's been dropped by his recording label, at the very least.

Oddly, Kris Allen just performed a concert here in Singapore. Bit surprising that he'd bother to come here. Perhaps our teeny-boppers are particularly keen on him? Years ago (back in the late 80s), there was a singer called Tommy Page who hardly made a dent in the US or UK (the big English-language markets), but he did very well in Singapore (relatively speaking) and he visited regularly, and his PR even acknowledged that Singapore was one of his best-selling markets.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Amazing that people in this round are still having trouble with lyrics. Why don't they choose a group song that they already know? Or is the song choice imposed on them?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There are a lot of factors that come into play -- if you don't already know the song, you have to learn it in one night. There are nerves, there is fatigue from lack of sleep, and even if you know the song, the group sings are heavily rearranged, so it's very easy to lose your place. And though it appears the groups pick the song, it's not a given that all the singers within the group all know the same song.

What I don't understand is why these group spend so much time on awful choreography. Year after year we see groups who essentially stand around and sing making it through. No one gets dinged by the judges for not having choreo. Even if the producers tell the contestants that choreography is very important (which they probably do), past experience shows it's not, so it would be the smart thing to just skip the wasted effort.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
They pushed Ruben for a while, but then he dropped off the face of the Earth. I think he might even have sued his management or label. After a while he came back a little, but he was never even remotely as popular as Clay Aiken was.

Chris Daughtry isn't the celebrity that Clay Aiken is, but he has had a number of big hit songs. I think Taylor Hicks is in a Broadway show or touring company at the moment.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I completely agree about the choreography, and thought the same myself as I was watching.
As a person who has been up in front of an audience and gone completely blank, I'm not going to say too much about someone forgetting the lyrics to a arrangement he had 1 day to learn. It shouldn't happen, but it does. It's a horrible feeling.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

Wow Hanson, I am very suprised by your comments. I never figured you for a vain person. Looks have never come into play for me when enjoying music. If you can sing well, I don't care if a person has 8 heads and bad teeth.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Did he finally "pick on" someone you like? I ask only because Hanson's been making fun of the looks of the contestants on AI (all in good fun) for years (since I've been reading these AI threads).

BTW, on some level, I really agree with you in that I judge singers mostly on their singing. However, given this is a competition for American's favorite singer (from the pool AI provides), looks, personality, etc., certainly come into play.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I believe Lucia's issue isn't so much that I am making fun of people's looks, it's that I downgraded Crystal and Andrew's performances based solely on their looks. But the way I see it, AI is not a radio show, and being distracted from a performance because of an terrible outfit, weird facial contortions, spazzy dance moves, excessive tats, or whatnot is really no different from grotty teeth or a bulldog mug. But look ,they both have a chance to win me over -- I couldn't get past Megan Joy's tattoo sleeve when the season started, but I ended up really liking her after a few weeks.

Tony is correct, the link to my mainpage with links to all past season blogs and whatnot is located in my sig.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Nothing on last nights 2 hours?

I think they're holding out the good singers for later on, so only a couple are stand outs, from who they have shown.
Everyone is very average so far.

Also Ellen has been such a non factor I wonder why they even need 4 judges, she adds nothing.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
They don't need for judges, as evidenced by the fact that they previously did the show with 3. Kara is surprising me this season. She has grown on me. I think she has a love of music that I share, and it infects me when I'm watching the show. I think she's an upgrade on Paula. Simon, on the other hand, could be selecting and selling widgets for all he cares. There are plusses and minuses to each. Randy seems to have a good technical ear for music, but thank goodness he was never a front man because I usually get see no evidence he's able to connect emotionally with a song, except for the occasional, "That's the best vocal I've heard this season, right there!"

Ellen? I've been a "fan" of hers since her standup days. I don't watch her talk show, but she's one of those people I consider genuine funny. The person who would have everyone laughing around the lunch table. She's bringing some of that personality to AI. She's also bringing some of her stage experience to AI. Would she be my first choice for a new judge? No. Do I think she's necessary? No. But she isn't irritating me, so I'll go with it.

As for the singing, that's why I watch AI. I don't listen to the radio these days, so AI is a great avenue for me to hear pop songs I wouldn't ordinarily have exposure to. When Ju'Not did Plain White T's "Hey There, Delilah" last season, it was my first time ever having any exposure to the song.
I've never known John Mayer as anything other than a cad who seemingly beds a significant number of beautiful woman in the entertainment industry. But then I hear Big Mike do "Waiting On The World To Change", and I look it up and see it's a John Mayer song. I also hear Casey James do "I Don't Need No Doctor" (yes, I know Ray Charles, but the song still wasn't in my conscious memory), and while I'm on YouTube looking for original versions, I come across a John Mayer performance of the song. I see now why he says he should do less talking and just play his guitar -- he's good at it.

I also got to hear Haeley Vaughn sing "Change" (by Taylor Swift), and even Janell Wheeler performing "American Boy" (by Estelle).

It's such a treat when I can basically hear songs for the first time and enjoy them. Or hear them for the seemingly millionth time ("Natural Woman" performed by Crystal Bowersox) and still enjoy them -- not just because it reminds me of the original, but because I really like the version I'm hearing.

I haven't saved anything from the last two shows, but #9x09 had quite a few performances that'll go in my library.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

I believe Lucia's issue isn't so much that I am making fun of people's looks, it's that I downgraded Crystal and Andrew's performances based solely on their looks.

Hanson picks on everybody (for fun of course), but I just thought that the comment about their looks overshadowing their vocals was odd. I don't take offendse to it or anything, just thought it was odd.

Don't worry Hanson, I still plan on being here for every word of your idol reviews. It's something I look forward to every year.

So far this year I have not been very impressed by these singers. I enjoy hippie girl from Chicago and Casey James and the guy that did a clever remake of Paulas Straight Up, but everyone else is boring me.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Slight clarification. Kara is an upgrade over Paula musically, but not in terms of being a successful front person entertainer. Paula did it. Kara failed at it. Paula was also good for sheer entertainment in a train wreck sort of way. Personally, I was over it, but she did bring something to the show. In that sense, Ellen does bring some knowledge and success with being the person standing up on the stage in the front trying to entertain people.

I think I'm going to enjoy the singers this season as long as AI lets them sing. I prefer a decade focus (year you were born, 60's, etc.) more than a genre focus (country, r&b, etc.) because every decent singer can find a song from pretty much any decade that fits. Anyway, we have our top 24, so goodbye (to some degree) judges, hello America.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I seem to recall a news story a few weeks back that one of the final 24 was removed due to his/her father spilling the beans about the performer making it that far. Anyone know if this is confirmed?

It was Big Mike by the way.
Edit: Hmm, now I am finding a Yahoo story that says a different contestant was replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks