What's new

American Idol - Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I understand that Paula isn't well liked by many of you, but I think her leaving the show is going to hurt the show because I think major portions of this show's demographic audience connected with Paula and accepted her as part of the fabric of the show.

I don't know if this is the beginning of the end for the show, but I stopped watching the show a couple of years ago because it bored me and its entertainment value diminished for me.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The fact that "Posh" is already on hand for AI auditions leads me to believe that this was a "done deal" for some time and the producers, for whatever reason, decided long ago to dump Paula. AFAIC, this finally gives me a good reason to "pull the plug" on my support of this program. AI without PA may be fine, but no matter how you cut it, it still won't be AI... at least not to me.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Pitchman - I am with you on this. I barely needed a reason this last season and now I can stop looking for one. Not that I am pining for Paula, but she added a certain incoherency that I found amusing...

BobV

Second Unit
Just ruined the show for me.

Ellen Degeneres? Seriously? Come on. What music pedigree of any sort does she bring to the table?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Ellen was a guest judge on So You Think You Can Dance. She's certainly witty, and I've liked her as a standup comic since way before her sitcom. But even in the one episode of SYTYCD, it grew old quickly. I can't imagine a whole season. I'll definitely have to see how this plays out. Just because 2 things are entertaining, doesn't mean they'll be even more entertaining together.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I guess the producers are convinced the public wants vapid, inoffensive commentary.

And I agree, her guest judge stint on SYTYCD was torture. Not quite Mary Murphy banshee wailing, but Ellen made my skin crawl.

For the record, I liked her sitcom. But her talk show is unwatchable.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
While this is bad, it's American Idol, I mean it can't get much worse, it's already bottom feeding TV. I've had dvr for years, and the show has been watched in less than 15 minutes every week, even when it's two hours long. I jump to each song, when it sounds terrible, I skip to the next one. I only listen to watch simon says.

I might not even tape it this year. Not because the judges are bad, or paula left, or any of that, but because 11/12 contestants usually suck, forced "theme" weeks, and just lack of any quality. With SYTYCD at least I feel like the bad contestants still have some talent.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like Ellen. She certainly can't be worse than Kara DioGuardi. I hope she learns a lesson from DioGuardi, though, which is to keep it brief. Paula and DioGuardi talked so much that Randy and Simon could barely get a word in edge wise.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I still don't get why they think they need four judges. It was something of a disaster last season, and I don't see it improving much.

I'm surprised Ellen actually wanted to do it.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This just seems like a really odd move. It reminds me of a few years back when Dennis Miller was put in the Monday Night Football booth. Like Ellen, I really enjoy Dennis Miller and think he's hilarious, but it was just an strange move for MNF and it's a strange move for AI.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Am I being too picky or was this one of the least talented group of auditioners? The three singers they built up going into commercial breaks (Alzheimer's Grandma, Secular Singer, and Nigerian Guy) weren't all that great, and Mormon Cancer guys cancer story wasn't even interesting. Was he given 5 months to live? No. Did he get a transplant from his twin brother? No. Did he lose a body part? Didn't say. This is American Idol -- we expect more than just cancer. We expect a cancer story.

The girl with the Downs Syndrome brothers -- now that's a story. Exploitative and corny, but a story nonetheless. She looks like John Francis Daly when he was on Freaks & Geeks

http://home.comcast.net/~hanson68/9/johndaly.jpg">[/url]

But she needs a makeover stat. Those short were too snug. They looked like denim cycling shorts.

Funniest bit of the evening:

"You sing like a three-year-old girl, you dress like LaToya Jackson, and you have a beard."

If you take away the hair, he looks like Kevin Corrigan

Man, Posh Spice looks like she stepped off the set of I, Robot

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I always enjoy the first few weeks of this show. I really start to lose interest when theme weeks roll around and it dwindles down to six bad singers.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The "shakes" are going away...Hanson is back with SAB!!!!! Yeah, no one knocked me over last night, but I seem to think that last season they kept some of the better singers "under wraps" until Hollywood Week.

Most awkward moment: when the Bucky Covington look-a-like (he sang "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word") compared his voice to Chris Brown who "likes to touch the lives of young folks."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If tonight wasn't the Atlanta auditions, I'd probably tune out until we get to Hollywood, these audition episodes are getting monotonous.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Hanson is BAAAAAACCCCKKKK!!!!

Seriously, I only remembered Down Syndrome Sister and that hotty Ashley Rodriguez. No one else from tonight's group is going anywhere.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Anyone notice that one of the three women featured together in the first hour looked like Anne Marie Boscovich after a Krispy Kreme bender? It's obviously not her since she's ineligible, but the resemblance was uncanny. Once you added the 40 lbs.

I gotta say that not only didn't I miss Paula (which isn't a shocker, I was glad she left), but the judging went a lot smoother without the incessant bickering and Simon finally got to finish his critiques.

So that guy fell out of a tree and broke both wrists? I think it was really Moody and his gang of hoodlums. Where's Adam Baldwin when you need him?

A couple more Separated at Births here:

http://home.comcast.net/~hanson68/9/sab.htm

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Twelvehead girl reminded me of Star Trek alright...only I was thinking more in the line of Talosians.

I realize there will be many, many nicknames to come, but "Twelvehead Girl" is the best so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks