What's new

American Idol - Season 8 (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Now that iTunes can post sales, Kris has seven songs in the Top 100, Adam has nine and Danny has one; Adam & Allison's duet is also in there.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Yes, but is this going to last without the weekly exposure from Idol? I'm sure Taylor would have had multiple songs in the top 100 if iTunes was as big back in the day (and considering Idol itself was more of a juggernaut back then). How's Cookie doing these days?

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/05/htf_imgcache_42149.jpeg][URL="https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/05/htf_imgcache_42149.jpeg"] [/url][/URL]

ETA: AT&T is denying that there were 38 million AR votes. They have no idea how that number got out. Frankly, I find it difficult to believe a state with under 3 million residents could cast 38 million votes. But it's a fun story...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Random thoughts:

Kiss? Fake? Um. . .riiiiiiiiight.

Last night's show was 100x better than the performance show the night before, which consisted entirely of zero-energy numbers. Even the lame performances last night were more entertaining. Kiss and Queen were great (aside from Kris' valiant but failed attempt to sing We Are The Champions) and just what the show needed.

The band show last year was The Next Great American Band, from the same producers as Idol. It was so much better than Idol in every way, I'm afraid I'll break down and cry if I attempt to talk about it any more. They stuck it in a crappy time slot and never seemed to have any intention of keeping it around.

On the one hand, Bikini Girl kinda asked for what she got; on the other hand, it was awkward to the point of not being that entertaining. IMO it would have been better if they'd worked out the duet with Kara ahead of time instead of simply springing it. Then it could have been funny instead of just mean.

And "not fat" is not the only criterion for looking good in a bikini. Sorry, Kara -- at least some charity's getting a few bucks out of it.

The Tatiana bit was rather awkward too. I assumed it was a put-on but I'm not 100% certain.

I'll be curious to see what sort of stylistic direction Adam takes on his album. Kris, not so much.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I agree 100%, Aaron. There were a number of bands (Sixwire, Denver and the Mile High Orchestra, The Clark Brothers, to name a few) that I thought were simply amazing, week after week. It's a damn shame that FOX canned the show--they should have moved it to the summers, and put it on So You Think You Can Dance's off-nights. FOX could have virtually every night of summer viewing locked up, IMO.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I hate to burden Hanson, but can we get a before and after shot on Katrina? I guess she felt she needed a boost to the bikini modelling career...

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I miss "Rock Band". Adam would have kicked ass on that show. Unfortunately, the show just doesn't work without a name band looking for a singer...and there aren't many of those (though, obviously Slash could use a singer...).

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
Supposedly Queen has some interest in Adam. I'm not sure that would be best for him since his musical range exceeds what they do and the comparisons to FMercury would be unrelenting. You can't follow a legendary quarterback and not be constantly ridiculed...just can't be done (ask steve young).

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, my mileage definitely varies. I wouldn't have noticed the change, though, without you guys mentioning it. And yeah, the whole Kara/Bikini Girl thing just seemed weird to me. During the show, the "breakout" looked nice, but when looking at still caps, Kara just looks skinny (as Aaron mentioned, there's more to it than just being skinny). If we were going to see Kara perform, I'd have enjoyed it more straight up, and not "See, I am better than you." I never did understand why she had it in for Bikini Girl so much. Yes, she was all gimmick, but so what? So was Norman Gentle (yes, I know he can sing, but honestly with what we got on AI, his singing was pretty much besides the point). Don't take it personally, Kara.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I enjoyed KISS thru 'Love Gun', and that's where it fell off. To this day, I can still jam live on bass guitar to any song on those albums. They established themselves through larger-than-life pyro and staging, 'Ace' was the metal equivalent of Chuck Berry in terms of his solos, and all the lyrics were about sex (what else could teenage boys see in a rock band), but the band 'sold out' (if that's even possible by comparison) thanks to that collosal piece of Hanna-Barbera cheese, "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park" (not until "To Justin With Kelly" would there be such a vapidly empty exploitive movie). Didn't pay any close attention to them again until "Unplugged". They have a great back catalogue, and are entertaining, and heck, some fast food places make great hamburgers.

KISS was perfect for 'Idol' because Simmons is a prime example of marketing genius. I might travel a couple of hours to see a show, but I don't carry my KISS Army badge on my sleeve.

Kiss were doomed and would have disappeared if it hadn't been for "Alive!", which was mostly redone in the studio anyway, and the repacked 'Originals'.

Adam suits the theatricality that is KISS (and Queen, for that matter) very well.

I'll say this much - KISS is the best 'KISS tribute band' going. :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Shocker of a result, but as the in-depth analysis here reveals, upon thinking about it, not so surprising after all.

Oh well, as already noted, not winning doesn't necessarily hamper Adam's career, if anything he won't be forced into the lightweight fluff that is typical for winners.

Kudos to both Kris and Adam. Kris appeared to be genuinely shocked and surprised at his victory, and humbly confessed that Adam deserved it, Adam was a most gracious loser and looked genuinely happy for Kris, and got out of the way to leave centre-stage for Kris to enjoy the limelight.

Simon looked really pissed off. He really should have been more gracious and stood during the 'crowning', but Simon does what he wants, and I suppose that would detract from his conferring a standing ovation on Adam as his non-verbal comments a few weeks ago.

Do non-winners have any commitment to sign with 19? Or does 19 at least get first dibs? I suspect not, IIRC the only obligation of non-winners is that they cannot release an album before the winner's album comes out. Still, I would expect 19 to do their level best to sign Adam as well, even if they have to offer him better terms than the ones Kris is forced to accept as winner. Which would be ironic, and would once again show that winning
AI is not always the best thing for an artiste.

I must say, the finale was the most entertaining (and I deliberately use that word) finale I've seen in all six seasons I've followed AI closely (didn't watch S1 at all and only bits of S2). The guest music acts were mostly great, Idol awards were hilarious and Kara's showgirl number was, well, a real surprise! I'm wondering to what extent it was scripted, since Bikini Girl seemed rather surprised and at a loss when it all happened, as compared to Nick/Norman and Tatiana, who obviously knew what they were supposed to do.

KISS and Queen the standout moments for me, with Adam showing that he could have a great career as frontman for a rock band. If Queen are really interested in working with him, I'd really look out for that.

They've been working with Paul Rogers, but always as "Queen + Paul Rogers", not as "Queen" per se. Their way of saying, we (Brian May and Roger Taylor) continue to make Queen-like music, with a good singer, but no one can truly replace Freddie. If I remember their explanation correctly...

So we may yet see "Queen + Adam Lambert". I'd buy that.

Lionel Richie's All Night Long was great, even if with Gokey (whom I don't dislike as much as Hanson obviously does...) Shame about Scott and Billy Joel, that would have been interesting as well. Megan once again demonstrates what a trainwreck her singing is. Allison & Cyndi Lauper were surprisingly very good together, even though I don't much care for Time After Time or Lauper's vocals generally.

I felt for Anoop and Alexis though, their number with Jason Mraz made them seem almost like afterthoughts after their intro, as there seemed to be very little effort to make it a tri-et (what's the three-person version of a duet called?) with Mraz hogging everything, unlike for instance Richie and Gokey. Or Adam and Kris's duets.

Uniquely for this season, I haven't deleted the show from my DVR yet, I might rewatch parts of it again.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Queen + Paul Rogers split. That sort of collaboration would be the only thing that could interest me in an Adam Lambert release.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I loved Megan, but I swear she was high. Aside from the Joe Cocker-esque dancing (she was more like Megan Joey Cockery), she almost fell twice -- not while she was dancing, but as she was STANDING. Once on-stage behind Fergie and then again on the riser behind Queen. If you're stumbling and you're not even moving -- TWICE -- then YOU ARE HIGH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks