What's new

American Idol - Season 8 (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Pretty good show, like the new addition of Kara and Ryan high fiving the blind guy had me in tears.

The bikini girl was annoying and borderline homely, something about her face, like a lazy eye or something. :D
She is going through only to serve the purpose of making her look foolish, awesome! I thought she was awful.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I think he was just trying to remain professional which I get but my lord it would have been difficult lol.

The judges were feeling generous tonight, they let some truly aweful people through, particularly that one dude who had the dream about Simon, he was obviously given a pity pass.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I'd agree, that "I Kissed a Girl" scene was priceless! Her singing, however, was way off. She actually went off pitch several times, and but for the bikini, and as Kara noted, nice derriere, Simon would have savaged her singing. She did have a reasonably nice vocal quality, just that it didn't stay on pitch. Kara's counter-demo, on the other hand, was really impressive, and Bikini Girl's riposte was bordering on rude, I thought, or at the least, you don't insult a judge who holds your future (in part) in her hands.

I did think Stevie was pretty good, as already noted by Quentin. Likewise Barracuda-girl.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

Once I heard how she hadn't even informed her band that she was auditioning for Idol and that if she went to hollywood they would not be able to go on this european tour I lost all respect for her. Why would you do that to people you were friends with? She is a horrible person in my mind and Idol should not reward such behavior. She obviously has no loyalty.

Bikini girl was a waste of time.

I only really enjoyed Anoop. His voice truly suprised me. I did not expect that coming out of him. He had a lovely voice. Most of the other contestants all sounded the same and it's clear from the last two nights that AI is going to churn out more crap this year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tattoo Girl had a weird way of thinking about things: She got the tattoes so she wouldn't be stuck working at a desk? Clearly, her mother raised her to think more of herself that others. Perhaps it'll get her far in life, time will tell.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just based on the first two nights of this season, Anoop is the only contestent that I actually care to hear anymore from. Everyone else was either bad, or merely "okay."

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Because if they actually have tragedy in their life, and turn out to suck, they don't get embarassed by putting it on TV, just the delusional dreamers.

Re: last night, I was honestly torn about porkpie hat. YOu could see a kernal of genuine talent, both in personality and singing, but it was SOOOO unfocused. Couldn't tell whether to say "learn your craft and come back next year" or let him through and hope a couple days with a vocal coach is productive. He hit the notes when he needed to, and meandered incomprehensibly in between times.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
More Casey Carlson pics and vids:

Campus Girls USA - Casey Carlson - University of Minnesota - Girls of the Big10

"Bikini Girl" totally left in the dust in every concievable way by the Bubble Tea Maker. I (and probably all the other Asian guys on the board) hope Casey isn't the Cardin McKinney of season 8.

Here you go Eric (the Tuvok one is obviously better, but I'm no going to throw away 40 minutes of hard work):

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/09/htf_imgcache_38167.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/e/eb/htf_imgcache_38168.jpeg] [/url]

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Casey certainly has the look. Let's see if she can back it up better than previous lookers on the show.

I liked Danny. His voice combined with his 'story' make him a good bet.

I also thought the girl who takes care of her 92 year old grandma had a big voice.

For all those bagging on the singing, try to remember some things:

1) This is American Idol and even the winners are never spectacular.
2) These are tryouts - they are nervous, alone, and singing a capella. That's tough, and it will never sound as good as it could/should.
3) This is early. What you should be listening for now is potential. As the show progresses, people with a chance consistently get better.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

Which we should keep in mind before getting too gaga over Anoup. He's a very experienced a capella singer, so the audition setup was more in his wheelhouse than anyone else.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Watched the first two nights back-to-back last night and I have to say that the thing that impressed me the most is that the editing and production values are miles better than what we've seen on the audition shows in previous years. I especially appreciated the very clever use of background music as a counterpoint or punchline to the action - the use of Mozart's Requiem Mass in particular was brilliant IMO.

I also found the result to be less mean than previous years and I was so relieved that the deluded "better than anyone" nasty contestants were absent - at least from these two episodes. My wife was especially happy to not see the latter as she got so sick of them last year that they became an automatic FF on the DVR.

I'm not sold on the singing talent so far this year, but hopefully the remaining cities will bring us some standouts.

-greg

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I realize the new judge didn't "get" bikini girl, but I totally missed the dialogue of their exchange. I think she was basically singing what bikini girl was singing, I guess to point out to here what she was doing was nothing special. There were comments around the net today that folks thought that was really rude. I didn't lose any sleep over it, but it did seem unnecessarily confrontational. If you don't like her, pass and move on. You don't have to try to ridicule her. Anyway, the new judge is a pro who has been at it a long time. The person auditioning is still and amateur. Granted, if she's trying out for AI, she should have talent, but still.

Anyway, does anybody remember any of the dialogue that went back and forth between the two? A gist will do. I don't need it verbatim.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I have an evil and unreasonable need to see Katrina Darrell's ego smashed into little bits. While she's somewhat attractive, I wanted to put my fist through the TV with her attitude. Gods, I hate people like her...

Tattoo chick... thought she was cute and had a decent voice... but yeah.. totally self-serving. Hell, I like tattoos (only have one so far), but to get them done specifically so that you don't have to get a desk job... perfect example of someone who thinks they are a rare and unique snowflake. Ugh.

Can't say there are any super-standouts yet. The day after the show, and I'm having trouble remembering good performers. Ah well.. .we'll see.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Whew, she's smokin'! When watching the show, I did notice the hint of cleavage, but didn't realise she was that generously endowed! As contrasted to Bikini Girl...

Did they say she worked in a bubble tea shop? How quaint. The fad has come and long gone here, though I think in Taiwan it's still available.

I would agree that Danny sounded good, even leaving aside his sad story. He does seem to have a voice, and can use it properly. Von, on the other hand, is a really raw talent -- he's got the pipes, but can't really control them and was literally shouting at times. I'd guess he was given the ticket on the basis of potential.

Anoop was a pleasant surprise. At the risk of playing to stereotypes, first you'd expect him to be an engineering or computer student, but he wasn't, and then he sang a Boyz II Men song and actually sounded like he could be one of the Boyz, when he's Indian and not African-American. Wonderful, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks