What's new

American Idol - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

mylan

Screenwriter

Oh, I won't but I would have liked to have seen it too. She didn't seem that tore up about it but it was a shocker. She didn't blame me but by default if it has to do with technology, it is my department, cooking is hers. If it were left up to her she would never record anything and if the cooking were left up to me, we'd never eat.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't think there is any link between ratings and quality. There is a link between ratings and gimmicks (like, say, C list celebrities).

I padded last's years finale for 5 minutes and it still cut off. This year, I moved it to 20.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

That said, any input? I thought with the recent performance, those who didn't like him might have some fresh memories as to why. I can't see anything in terms of talent that would contribute to him having any struggles in the industry. His look? It didn't stop Luther Vandross. Not a musician, so he has trouble finding or making the right songs? When I look at him, I see the biggest detriment being that he doesn't seem to have the burning ambition that is sometimes necessary. Say what you will about Kellie Pickler, but she's going after what she wants and making it happen. Worked for Madonna. Sometimes you just have to get out there and sell yourself to your market. He doesn't need everyone to like him, but he needs to carve out a niche and serve it well, also finding a record company that's happy with that niche (not everyone needs to sell millions of CD's to be successful).

One thing's for sure... Simon sure reacted better watching that performance than he did Fantasia's. And as "R&B" singers go, I could listen to what Ruben did all day, whereas I haven't been able to stomach anything yet that I've seen from Fantasia. In fact, even though I'd guess Fantasia is supposed to be R&B, and that's what I grew up on, I could easily listen to any number of "rocker" Idol contestants before her. I'm not saying she's a bad singer (I didn't watch her season either), but I've yet to see a performance of hers that didn't leave me feeling like I'd just suffered misdemeanor assault.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Don't sweat it Mikah - multitasking overload eh? ;) I agree wholeheartedly regarding Fantasia - I never have liked her. Can't stand to look at her - can't stand to hear her sing and REALLY dislike the way she ends most songs with an extended "Yah - yah - ya-yahhhhhh...."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
AI doesn't "run long." It's done by design. Most of the networks do this to some extent, especially with event programming.

The thought is that if the network overruns their show into the next timeslot, the audience will stay to watch the end of the show then, since viewers have already missed the beginning of the other shows on other channels, they'll just keep watching whatever is now starting (late) on the same channel.

John Swarce

Second Unit

I liked the finale, although the groups performing were more for my (older)age group than the younger generation. Having the entire USC marching band come out to play along with Fernando was brilliant! Best laugh of the night for me.

Hanson, you nailed the comment about Randy's "Captain Kangaroo" jacket. My wife and I both said the same thing, although my kids had no idea who Bob Keeshan was.

I am a bit surprised that David C. won, but both were equally deserving. Long wait until January!

--John

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

Specifically it's about Neilsen ratings during time periods. I believe "running "over" gives them an opportunity to gain ratings for that top half hour even though they only run for 5 minutes.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Well! After all the expectation that Archie would win, Cookie does by a reasonably big margin. Well done, I must agree he's the whole package, even though Archie is probably technically a better singer -- Archie has almost never missed a note, whereas Cook has had some occasional pitch problems. And ironically I agreed with Simon's initial comments that Archie had delivered a knockout in the finale.

As for the results show, a few random thoughts:-

Bryan Adam's forehead looks like a cue ball.

I thought there was something tonally off with George Michael's voice, but he explained that he had a cold; even sick he can still sing!

I also caught Hernandez's smirk when he sang the "naked" lyric. Perhaps he's returning to his old job? I'm sure the tips will now be much better...

Oddly I thought tonally Brooke White's voice was really close to Donna Summer's; Syesha on the other hand was the only one that came close to matching Summer's performance -- two lines into her song and she was so much better than the top six girls it was like night and day.

Carrie Underwood is seriously hot. But she looks like she's lost a touch too much weight, she's looking almost gaunt now. Though those, ahem, assets, don't seem to have suffered. Surgery?

Ruben sounded good. But as posted earlier, I guess he doesn't have the drive to make something of his career, unlike the far less talented Ms Pickler.

Anyone else annoyed by Mikela and Matt? Pretty useless as interviewers/hosts, IMHO.

I'd half-agree with Ryan's introduction of Michael and Carly as two contestants who left before their time -- Michael should have had a much longer run, Carly left at about the right time, although I suppose perhaps Jason should have gone before her.

I for one enjoyed the Gladys Knight and the Pips gag, even if they didn't seem to do all that much in terms of joking around, save for Downey inexplicably disappearing, and Black returning after getting him back with his pants down. Not sure what to make of that...

The Guru clip with Mike Myers was hilarious, but at the back of my mind I wonder what Indians would make of it. And for that matter, Mariska Hargitay. :D

Vivan Ward

Auditioning
Real Name
Vivian
HOLY CRAPOLA! I cannot believe David Cook won it! I am pleasantly surprised and it has been fun watching all the interviews with him. When watching these interviews too I can NOT imagine DA doing any of them, poor thing is so timid! I agree with whomever said Cook is the total package. He can carry a tune, he's pretty dang hot, he seems to have an awesome personality and a genuine love for family. He was SO GOOD to 17 yr old David Archuleta. Even my husband has a "man crush" on David Cook!

And by the way, I personally screamed the first time I saw the Guitar Hero commercial (the COOK one of course!) AND I rewound it more than once. I am FAR FROM a teenage girl, this was frightening that I got so excited. Do I have a problem? Yes.... I think I do.... :crazy:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Heh. I was speeding through the commercials and saw that GH ad and thought, "That looked like David Cook!" So, I rewound. And I was thinking, here I am, also far from a teenage girl, rewinding to a dude in his underwear. :laugh:

Good ad, though. I was sure it meant Cook had won, until they played the Porkchop version a while later.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
As a Cook fan, I will say I am blown away by how well Archie has done with his post show interviews. Why couldn't he talk like that on AI? Seriously, if you receive the tv guide channel, watch the post AI show they are running 500 times a day. Its amazing, but he does a few interviews (a sit down within the first 15 minutes) throughout the show (its like 3 hours) and he sounds like a regular kid, not the weird, uncomfortable freak I had known from the show. It really has changed my opinion of him. He seems like a real friendly, genuine and normal person and not painfully shy at all. Strange. He really is a class act though, giving all the credit to Cook and how much he admires and looks up to Cook as an artist and person. I think there may be hope for him.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Does anyone remember when TBS originally started broadcasting on cable? They always started the shows at :05 or :35 for that very reason.

mylan

Screenwriter

Being from Atlanta, I remember it well. I think I even recall the article in the AJC with Ted Turner. It has worked with us numerous times, opting for an old Andy Griffith when nothing else was on.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I am blown away by how well Archie has done with his post show interviews. Why couldn't he talk like that on AI?

It has to be easier to chat with a talk show host than standing on a stage in a large theatre, especially since the competition is over. They all seem more relaxed in interviews now that it's done. Larry King had the top 10 on Fri night & is supposed to have them on again Mon.

Not sure why people insist on calling this a reality show. It's a competition, as much a reality show as Star Search or Jeopardy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks