What's new

American Idol - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> No wonder we have kids shooting up schools when shy, socially awkward teenagers are being labeled as "creepy"...or worse.

Yeah, I believe Columbine happened because the shooters read some posts here about American Idol.

Oh wait, that happened before American Idol existed.

I'm shocked at the results, too, that someone I like actually won.

I thought the finale was some of the best and worst TV of the year. I didn't expect to see both Davids in their underwear.

> George Michael, Donna Summer, ZZ Top, Bryan Adams...no wonder they're losing the young audience.

Plus those dinosaurs the Jonas Brothers, who are almost old enough to vote.

I'm pretty sure Michael & Summer at least did some recent songs.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Congrats to David Cook - he deserved to win IMHO. DialIdol was right again - they were calling it Cook by a large margin first thing this morning.

The finale show was a spectacle to say the least. Least favorite bits Mike Meyers dumb movie plug (I love Myers but that movie looks REALLY stupid) and the Pips audition bit. Favorite bits Graham Nash and Mulligan White (except her mix was a bit too dominating - Graham has one of the more unique voices in music history -- I would have preferred to hear his voice mixed more over hers), the ZZ Top classic tune and Carrie Underwood's new country-bar woman-song. Damn Carrie looked good - although a bit thin. WTF was Jordin wearing? She looked like she was wearing debris from the Roswell "weather balloon" staged photo. Sooo - those are the Jonas Brothers eh? I guess I can see how the tweeny girls love 'em. Cute boys with actually a bit of talent thrown in playing a peppy pop song -- and BTW Ryan - they did need an introduction - at least for me. I suspected that's who they were but wasn't sure until RC back-announced them. The Michaels medley was good until George came out and threw a wet blanket on the proceedings - talk about a momentum-killer - nice voice but "wrong song choice". Nice to see ZZ T and my favorite 1/4 of CSN&Y - seems the producers would have called 'em in for the HoF show.

And thankfully I recorded the 9:00 news too - I was right in guessing they couldn't bring the show in on time yet again - I can relate Greg H - mine ended with and your Idol winner is ... and the 9:00 news recording started with reaction celebration shots but it took me about 15 seconds to figure out that DC had indeed won it.

Again props to DC - VERY glad he won it all. As someone on another board wrote earlier today -- "I can imagine hearing David Cook songs on the radio - I can only imagine hearing David Archuletta songs in an elevator."

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I can say with all honesty that I was shocked when the winner was revealed.

George Michael looked sick as heck, and was the only performance I fast forwarded through.

My rankings for last night were

round one

tie for both davids

round two

arch

round three

arch

i am your brother.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Since only the top ten go on tour, why did they bring back the other two?

Did Simon apologize to Cook because he really felt bad, or because he knew the results?

For those who missed the ending, like me:

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The only part of the show that really mattered. Way to go, Greg...

Parting words:

[Truman Show]
"What else is is on?"
"Yeah, see what else is on..."
[/Truman Show]

See ya all next year...

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Well, how about that!!!!!!?????

David Cook is the new American Idol!!!!

And I thought the teenager referred to in this thread as "Porkchop" would run away with this competition. ;)

Guess not.

And, IIRC, I believe the Final 12 always are featured for the penultimate episode, although it is the Final 10 who go on tour for the summer. Last year, Brandon Rogers and Stephanie Edwards both came back for the Kodak Grand Finale although they did not tour in 2007.

As a result, we got to see another departed David from earlier in the competition--the first man down, BTW--and my girl, Amanda, back in action.

Good ol' Amanda. She stayed in style all the way--the consumate rocker-biker-nurse-chick in every sense of the word!!!!!! While her fellow Idol VII sisters were in elegant dresses, she had her own style going on--albeit in matching color with the rest of them.

Too bad she won't be on tour this year. I would have gone to have checked her out. :)

Oh, well.....

That's that for AI VII. :)

Way to go, Cookie!!!!! :D

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Overall, I enjoyed this finale more than most.

Loved ZZ Top, Graham Nash, Brian Adams and the Pips audition.

Cook and Archie on Hero -- nice.

George Michael songs by the cast -- cool. George Michael appeared to have some trouble with his monitors early on in his song but pulled it together. "Prayin' for Time" has awesome lyrics. He looks a bit haggard.

Carrie Underwood looked and sounded great.

Fast forwarded through The Jonas Bros and Jordin Sparks.

I was surprised that Cook won, although at the moment of truth I felt he would. I am very glad he won. Of all the contestants, he's the only one ith the whole package: vocals, x factor, stage presense and he's a nice guy.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
That Carrie Underwood song is the dumbest song I have heard in a while from a new artist. Is she kidding?????? What a hot tranny mess was she last night?
Who dresses these people? I'm telling you, Jordan, Carrie, Carly, Syesha and Mickela all looked ridiculous. I would so fire whoever that stylist was.

I will say this though, Carly wearing that black dress later during the duet with Michael Johns was a nice recover. She looked great there.

Amanda OverMyer was horrible, horrible, horrible! God, I can't believe they allowed her to come back. They should have brought back danny Noriega. Speaking of Danny, did anyones else catch it when Ryan Seafoam called David Cook Danny Cook? Funny!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
She was the best part of the show! Watching her sleepwalk through the dance numbers, sing unintelligibly, and make facial expressions that said, "I'm about to slit my wrists" was the only thing stopping my finger from hitting the FF button. It was hilariously entertaining.

I've been humping So You Think You Can Dance excessively, so indulge me this one last plug, but what baffles me is that the dancers in that show learn two complex pairs routines a week in styles/diciplines they aren't even familiar with yet no one this season could consistenly sing on key for 90-120 seconds. Seriously, WTF? Is the vocal talent in this country fished out?

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Anyone notice the giggle that David H. surpressed when he sang the lyric "to be naked" in George Michael's "Father Figure?"

Doug Ennis

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats to David Cook. I'd have preferred Archie won, as Cook will likely have much more success post-Idol, so it would have been nice for Archuleta to at least have this moment.

Now that it is over, allow me to list those 2008 Idol contestants whom I'm most likely to buy an album from in the future:

#3 Michael Johns
#2 Jason Castro
#1 Josiah Leming

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Congratultions to David Cook!!

In my opinion he was the most consistent contestant over the course of the entire competition. And he showcased his incredible versatility on "Lloyd Weber" night in combination with the "Round of three" last week.

And I do look forward to purchasing some of his songs in the future!

Having said that, I was surprised that he won just based on the head-to-head competition on Tuesday night and the way the judges even came out and declared "David A" the obvious winner ... "By a KO". Obviously, this *wasn't* a KO since the real judges still had their say. At the very least I certainly hope that we'll never have to endure "boxing analogies" on this show again!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

come on, you guys have been watching idle long enough now to know
you need to add a few minutes on the end of recordings for this show.

what hanson said about overmyer, perfect.
she is such a horrible singer, how did she ever make it as far as she did.

it is a constant, "what did say?" while she's singing.

i really enjoyed the show as a whole.
i liked all the "80's" bands that were on.
btw ZZ Top has been around since at least the early 70's.

Goerge Michael said he hopes his cold is gone before his tour starts.
Graham Nash since the 60's.

oh well 7 months to go.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I guess those saying David A wasn't a lock had some merit after all. That said, I'm still having a hard time visualizing David Cook winning by 12MM votes (not 12MM people, 12MM votes). Given the number of announced total votes, I had to go check VFTW to see who they've been pushing. No luck. They asked their membership to vote for Archuletta. If someone came out and announced voting irregularities I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Of course AI would do everything in their power not to look for such a thing, and to keep it private even if they found it.

Anyway, I have to admit to being a bit pleased that David Cook won. But like Simon, I'd probably still feel the same way if David Archuletta won.

BTW, I think my favorite performance over the last two episodes was Ruben Studdard performing Celebrate Me Home. I didn't realize that exit song was him, and hearing a longer version was really nice. I realize he's been dropped from his label, etc., but what exactly do folks dislike about him? Personally, I want to hear him and Melinda Doolittle sing a duet. I didn't watch the season Ruben won, but I've always seen him as a pale imitation of Luther Vandross (I've heard a few of his songs on the radio, and they were LV remakes). I do not agree he's not a good enough singer to be in the industry.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
One facet of the large gap in votes could be that Cook was heavily favored over at DialIdol and those folks have computer programs that vote continuously for their favorite - registering votes submitted vs. busy signals and then the software reports back to DI the number of votes and busy signals and it calculates/projects voting results based upon that data. A couple of the users reported registering nearly 1600 votes each for DC from their computers alone. Seems like a good change for AI would be to limit the number of votes one phone number can submit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks