What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
She didn't perform because she's currently performing in The Color Purple on Broadway, as Ryan mentioned during the show.

Kimberley? What has she done since then? Not enough to warrant a finale appearance, I would think.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
At first I thought that too, but it looked like they only featured the actual winners of the past seasons (except for Fantasia).

I was actually surprised that Kelly Clarkson appeared again. She's always tried to distance herself from AI. I figured she gave in for the charity show since it was for charity, but was surprised to see her again on the finale.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since Kelly was adamant about releasing a darker, edgier album, she needs all the cross-promotion she can get for the new album.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Unlike someone earlier, I liked the Gwen performance okay, but I hated Clarkson's single. Another so-called strong woman song about a woman hung up on a man who has moved on. I wonder if the subject of "Never Again" was Dave Coulier. ;) I fast-forwarded through almost all of the rest of the performances. The best thing I heard all night was Melinda with whoever that couple was. The other lady had a really pretty face, but she and Melinda sure emphasized their status as LargeO-Americans with the tight clothing they were wearing. Then again, the camera adds etc.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm - a helluba lotta filler there. They are really trying to make the finale show into something really special... I bleeeve they missed the mark yet again.

The Beatles medley was bearable only because I love the Beatles music.

Sure was great to see Haley - she looked -->
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Melinda looked pudgy, sounded great but did not have the on-stage charisma of the two old pros she was singing with.
Carrie stood absolutely still ... still. She sounded thin and looked even thinner. Damn nice dress and legs though on the second number.
Kelly's still a chunky monkey - and if she was so pissed at that guy why did she sing a song for him?
Taylor - well -- I still think Katherine was way better... :frowning:

Why did they show Jerry Springer three times? What's his interest there?

Blake knew it was coming. He was already congratulating Jordin before Ryan read it.

Congrats to Jordin - she deserved it :emoji_thumbsup:

Looking forward to next season....

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I was in (mostly) the same boat!! I had set my DVR up with a 5 minute buffer based on experience with past final shows. You would think that they could announce a winner somewhere within a 2 hour and 5 minute block!! And ... They did! But just as her name was announced ... boom! My wife gave me the proverbial "withering look". Next year I'm just going to record the entire next show ... just to be on the safe side!!

Anyway ... We enjoyed just about all of the final (even the Beatles songs). And Congrats to Jordin!!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I set up Lost to go over 10 minutes at the start of the season, but they brought it in on time every time, so I started going back to actual time for everything. I got burned just this once.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Blake's beat box thing with Doug E Fresh, was amazing. I'm a big Doug E fan from back in the day and I have to say, Blake showed him up. Tobad Blake wasn't able to do his own "original" stuff two nights ago or perhaps the big prize would have been his...

other thoughts: In HD Gwen Stefani is showing her age. Liked the song though

Kelly Clarkson was awful, the makeup madc her look worse, the song sucked and oh, did I mention she is fat???

Green Day was outstanding. Losing the eyeliner for Billy Joe was a good move...he is getting to ald for that crap. Loved the remake.

Tony Bennettuch where has his voice gone...I love tony, but retire and enjoy the rest of your life Mr. Bennett.

Loved the African Childrens Choir.Those kids looked so happy to be there.

Sanjaya and Joe Perry...whatever...keep rocking Sanjaya.

Fast forwarded through the Winans, Smokie Robinson and whomever the girls sang with.

I like Taylor hicks Performances...

I still think Chris Sligh should have one, but he fell victim to the Sanjaya War Machine...

That's all...

Keefe.............OUT!!! Til next year

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Any of you guys know if Ryan announced anything about the compilation CD? My best friend really looks foreward to that CD every year but she said Ryan made no mention of it that she recalls.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I haven't had a chance to watch yet but I did catch a bit of that in PiP, and I'm pretty sure that was BeBe and CeCe Winans, arguably the first family of Gospel. I know the song is a BeBea and CeCe song. I also know Melinda was a backup singer for them on at least some of their songs (the family has a huge catalog). Anyway, I'm sure about CeCe, but not BeBe, as my mental picture has him fairly muscular and the guy up there singing was pretty small.

I'll add my congrats to Jordin; I think she's the youngest AI winner. Pretty nice to win AI when you're not even (or barely) out of High School.

It was nice to see Jennifer Hudson in the audience after all the negative comments Simon has made about her this season. I didn't get a good look at her but supposedly she's lost 30 pounds or so and is looking to lose more by Fall. Jordin's cute, so if she slims down a bit, she's really has a chance to grow into all aspects of that "idol" title.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I didn't start watching until the top 8 or so and I think I missed his comments. What did he say about her?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

In other words (IMHO) that was off the chain;). His best performance yet, and probably has a chance in the R&B field.

Bette Midler, I thought actually sucked last night.

It would have been nice to see Jennifer Hudson perform lastnight, would have been bitter sweet. Clive Davis mentioned her but a performance would have been great.

Melinda (my girl) performing with Bebe and Cece Winans, probably explains why she didn't win. My wife and I both in our 40s absolutely loved her performance. She'll be fine.

Tony Bennett, let it go it clear that it's time for him to retire. Kind of reminded me when Diana Ross performed, yuck.

Gladys Knight I thought sounded really good, she can probably cut an album and still sound the same I think.

The Idol awards, eh, the only thing good about them was showing the clips of the nominees. That monkey joke was actually cruel we thought.

Congrads to Jordin, even though she reminds me of the 50 foot woman
(Haaaarrrrry).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I'm not a Bennett fan, at least not in that I own an album (still like him and the genre though), but I actually thought this was one of the highlights of the night.

I think there was some legitimate power in his voice, which is pretty remarkable for someone of his age.

Though, I guess when you are as cool as Tony Bennett, you can pretty much speak the phone book over a walking bass line and make it sound cool.

cheers!

Josh

Real Name
Ryan Papineau
Show was way too long but another big thumbs up for the Blake / Doug E. Fresh team up...that was very well done and it really got me into it.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
CNN Article
Again, I haven't seen the show yet, but it must have been a real eyeroll moment for those who hate beatboxing. :) As for that leading to a career in R&B, I don't really see it. Blake is pop infused with elements of Hip Hop, but definitely pop. Also, beatboxing on record is way less impressive than watching someone do it.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> It was nice to see Jennifer Hudson in the audience after all the negative comments Simon has made about her this season.

What comments? I saw every episode & don't remember that.

I guess I saw a different show than other people, since I thought this was much better than last year's finale. Mostly good performances, although Bette Midler sucked & I didn't get Tony Bennett's interpretation of that song. It was like he had been woken up in the middle of the night & forced to sing.

I loved Gladys' & Smokey's performances with the kids- must have been a thrill for them (the kids) to back them up.

I'm so used to padding on these results shows that I record & watch later. I happened to check in right as they were doing "I Saw Her Standing There" & thought holy shit, am I hearing a Lennon/McCartney song on Idol? Then a bit later was shocked to find myself seeing them doing stuff from Sgt. Pepper. It really shows how lame some of the other music out there is. I was half expecting Paul McCartney to come out at that point.

As for filler, about the only things I would cut would be the Golden Idols (somewhat funny, but pointless) & Bette's performance. Even Sanjaya sounded decent for a change. Notice how some of the high finishers got hardly any airtime- Chris R & Phil specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks