What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (2 Viewers)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Each city has a "theme" song that gets sung by all those who get to see the judges, and it is in a separate room with the same background props, so it seems like they were signing for the judges when they just sign for the producers for the montage segment.

I figured it had to be something like that, since the montage song is rarely the same song they did in front of the judges, and they rarely get to do more than one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think Blonde Bombshell sounded all that good. Randy and Simon were more taken in by her looks, and perhaps her story.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Not sure if it's exactly the same in American Idol as it is on Canadian Idol (though I'm sure it is), but in addition to a theme song, sometimes the producers will ask you to sing a few bars from a song from a song bank of currently popular songs.

Also, after being weeded out by staff auditioners (who are occasionally fairly high up in the foodchain), there is another round usually manned by the producers, in which they pick people to go in front of the real judges based on if you are really bad and if you are good to very good. Essentially they hand-pick the terrible singers purely for entertainment value. In addition, they also "stroke" the egos of the bad singers, so that not only do they think they are good themselves, they have recently been told by someone that they are "what they are looking for".

Not that I look down on any of this - I find the whole thing quite entertaining :)

Note: this is all based on the audition of my g/f on Canadian Idol - mileage on the American show may vary.

cheers!

Josh

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Family obligations. It seems strange to me to have two judges since there's nobody to break a tie. It wasn't dealt with on-screen, though.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Kinda funny that the first contestant to get Paula a little damp downstairs was a fat Jack Osbourne look-alike, but the guy was pretty funny. And he walked out with a hot blonde, so he must be doing something right.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I was amazed at Pickler Redux, right down to the sob story about her father and the nearly identical level of singing ability.

She could go farther than she deserves to -- after all, Pickler did! :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

My first thought was to wonder why they didn't just try to schedule a celebrity guest judge to fill in, but then I figured they probably don't want to lay the responsibility of breaking ties on someone there for purely promotional reasons.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I didn't think Blonde Bombshell sounded all that good. Randy and Simon were more taken in by her looks, and perhaps her story.

You mean the one whose father is paralyzed? I thought the same thing and wondered why she mentioned that at her audition.

> It seems strange to me to have two judges since there's nobody to break a tie.

I assumed both judges would have to say yes for the person to move on, so there would be no ties to break.

Is "Family Obligations" a rehab clinic in Malibu? Wouldn't you think they'd schedule the auditions when all the judges were available?

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I get so frustrated with this show ( and yet I keep on watching).

It bothers me that they will put through those who have somewhat decent voices and look like pop idols and then pass up those who sing great, but may not look the part.

Every year the judges say the same thing, " We are looking for the best", yet each year they pass up people based on looks. Simon, will say to one person " You may not have the best voice, but you look great. You're through" and then to the next person " You've got a great voice, but your just not what we are looking for".

I understand the politics of selling an album and a person to the mass market, but it really is sickening. So many young people watch this show and all they are learning from it is, if you don't look good or have a great body you can't make it in this world.

Some of the comments that Simon has made are just appaling and honestly, the fact that they allow him to say such horrible and mean things to people is just ridiculous. I'm not talking about hi typical " Your the worse singer" coments, I am talking about him telling that one kid he look like a jungle creature or calling women fat and telling them to lose weight.

Sorry for the rant. It's just sad to me to see people treated so bad. Yes, I know they sign a release and know pretty much what they are getting into when they go on this show, but that is no excuse for being mean to people.

That said, I enjoyed the last guy (curly hair Jack Osborne look a like) version of Seals song. He was good and had a great personality!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think if you have a nice face/body and a marginal voice, you're more likely to get to the Hollywood round, but if you have an outstanding voice, looks don't matter as much, and you'll get to the Hollywood round. But once you get to the Hollywood round, you still need to show that you are serious about wanting a singing career (and not engage in silly activities that impact your performances before the judges). Looks won't carry you through the Hollywood round as easily as in the auditions around the country.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> calling women fat and telling them to lose weight.

When did he do that?

Most of what Simon says is just plain honesty... the fact that some people can't handle it says a lot.

If it bothers you so much, why do you watch? It's like watching The Sopranos and being upset about foul language.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I assume it was a last-minute thing. There's no way they can reschedule an audition that 15,000 random people have already showed up for.

Maybe she unexpectedly got off the clinic waiting list. ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Who's "they?" Simon Cowell and Simon (something else) are the owners of the show. Nobody's telling Simon what he can and can't say (except maybe the network censors ;) ).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Famously, last season. In a subsequent episode, the girl publicly forgave him, he apologized, and they hugged. Truth be told, it was a really nice moment.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
While Simon is honest, I do not subscribe to the idea that simply because he's the most brutal of the three he's automatically right all the time.

From what I hear (I didn't see it), Simon didn't like Kelly Clarkson or Taylor Hicks and they ended up winning.

Phil Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil Garcia

Simon doesnt like Kelly because she snubbed AI on a couple of occasions and called her a spoiled brat or something. I dont think it was on account of her voice.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I don't recall any instances of Simon and Randy disagreeing anyway, but since the usual situation where all three are present requires two "yes" votes, presumably the same applies when there are only two judges.

I can't remember how it works when there's a guest judge, though. Is it still two "yes" votes, or is it raised to three?

I guess the real surprise of the day was "curly-haired Jack Osbourne lookalike" (was his name Chris?). Given his somewhat cocky remarks in interview, I thought he might be another one of these deluded non-singers, but he sure delivered -- Kiss From A Rose is a pretty difficult song and he nearly nailed it (there were a few notes he missed, I thought, but it was mostly very good).

And Simon was really taking the piss in baiting Brandy with his "call me" schtick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks