What's new

American Idol - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And so it begins...

Tonight at 8 p.m. EST, the kick-off of 3 American Idol shows (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week) covering the auditions from hell for the new season of American Idol.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh dear, how do the judges sit through all those bad and bizarre auditions? And why don't people have enough self awareness to know that they can't sing well?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
"I tried my best, with God on my side."

"Well, he took the day off today."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Diallo B

Screenwriter
thomas,

that was the funniest line of the entire 3 series. my brother and i almost fainted when simon said that.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
The auditions are the best part of the show.

At first I felt sorry for the contestants when the judges starting laughing in their face. But then I thought about it.

They laugh.

They are hilarious.

danak

Second Unit
I'm beginning to believe that some people know they sing badly but audition in the hopes of getting at least a mention on the show so they can have their 30 seconds or more of fame. That woman who made the bet with Simon got several minutes by continuing on to sing in a bar. Granted, she was pretty much humiliated, but nowadays it seems many people are willing to be skewered on TV in order to get some attention.

On the other hand, some people I think are very good are rejected by the judges, leaving me to shake my head as to why. What was wrong with that Army Ranger lady? I thought she was very good but the judges didn't.

And that camp counselor guy who compared himself to Clay? I wouldn't let any kids near him; he unnerved me.

Dana

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Most people are just not self aware.

It must be very frustrating to sit there all day listening to that.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
When they bet the one woman money that she could clear out a bar.. damn, I laughed.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I have heard that some of the really bad auditions are staged for entertainment value. Let's admit it, Hearing Simon rip people apart is the show's biggest draw.

I was kind of pissed that Seacrest told everyone in the bar about that clearing out bet beforehand. It completely ruined it.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Maybe some of you well informed folks can help me figure something out. In his voice over, Seacrest said 12,000 people showed up in NY. Surely they didn't audition that many did they?

You would think they would have a screening process to get it down to a managable number. But if they do have a screening process, how in the world does the "Scat Lady" get to audition?

Loved tonight's show.

Peace,

DM

Joel C

Screenwriter
They have tons of people doing pre-auditions, and only the best of the best and the weirdest of the worst make it in front of the judges, and then the best (or worst) of those to TV.

I think that's why some people are so confident going in, they sat through three "pre-auditions" and were passed through, so they figure they will make it.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Yeah, that was pretty crappy that Seacrest told them all the details of the bet, that pretty much ruined it. Also, anybody else think that that Randy dude is trying to steal some of Simon's thunder? Before he seemed a little nicer, it seems like he's going for more attention now :thumbsdown:

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I just think Randy is finally realizing being nice all the time dosnt help pick the best. Hell id laugh at some of those people also. What were they thinking

Capt

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Well yeah, I'd probably laugh too. I think Paula's cool cause it seems like she tries to be as nice as she can. The other two just seem to enjoy taking pot shots whenever possible. However, when Paula can't even help laughing, then ya know it's bad. :D

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

If anything I thought that would of been a help to her. Myself, unless she where flat out awful beyond words (she was) I would of stayed their just to be nice so she could collect some money.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

That's exactly my point, the veracity of the results get skewed. However, she did still lose, but I think the whole thing was staged anyway. I doubt so many people would have walked out knowing it was a bet and she would only be singing for like 30 seconds and with cameras pointed at them.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Just look around at a mall and see how many people are wearing a belly shirt when they really should be hiding that thing.:thumbsdown:

I always get a kick out of watching the auditions and then tune out after they pick their finalists. I just can't stand the cheesy Donnie and Marie medley.

I thought that the Army chick was pretty good. She might be a little square but so is Clay. They could easily update her look like they did for Clay. She had a voice that was at least as good as any of the finalists.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I never watched this before. My sister convinced me that the first batch of eps is really funny because of the bad auditions and that she doesn't watch the rest. She was right- I laughed my ass off.

Yes, I believe much of it is scripted. And, quite frankly, I don't think Simon is even that funny or that cruel. It's the bad singing itself that entertained me.

Ruminations on some of the contestants:

- Carrot top should have been eliminated for doing Dean Martin. I agree with Simon's distaste for gimmicks and wish he'd stick to it more.

- Scooter girl had a solid voice, but an awful delivery. Randy was right on the money when he told her to try Broadway, they go for that wacky over-the-top nonsense.

- Skat girl was someone who probably was trained or took lessons but had no natural ability.

- The chick twins were scary- just yelling over each other. That was the funniest part of the evening.

- The dude who sang "Unchained Melody" will be tough to beat. He has all the ingredients of a winner: a gorgeous voice (both naturally talented and probably with significant training), good looks, youth, charm, confidence, etc and so forth.

- I'm glad the host told the folks at the bar about the bet. Otherwise they wouldn't even listen to some strange woman that just strolled inside and starting singing. It's also great that they did it in New York, a city where folks ain't ashamed about letting you know what they think. :)

If I get home early enough tonight and my sis is watching it, I'll probably dig it some more.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think the guy who sang "Unchained Melody" was that great. I thought he had awkward pauses and strung out notes that didn't need it. I thought it was passable to the next round, but didn't really do it for me.

Usually, if a singer can get the hairs on the back of my neck to stand at attention, and I get that jolt/tingle down my spine as I listen to them, that's usually where my interest gets piqued. Clay had that sort of effect on me last season.

I didn't know how much I appreciated Clay Aiken after hearing "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" butchered by that one "singer" in the auditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks