What's new

American Idol - Season 11 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Darn, everybody's being nice now, right when I was going to complain about all you losers watching a show co-hosted by Brian Dunkleman.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
In honor of you Tony, I've chosen a new avatar, it's supposedly a flower of some sort but I liked it.
Time to drop the weird SpongeBob star creature I found a few months ago.
New avatar means a new me, I'll play nice from now on.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Well, it has happened.
13 minutes into the second hour of tonight's episode of American Idol...I became bored.
I got so bored, that I walked away from my main unit and into my second unit to watch the rest via SDTV.
By now, AI had gone to shorter episodes.
But now, FOX appears to be stretching these episodes out--as if the network has nothing else to roll out in the way of a new hour-long drama or a half-hour sitcom.
Is this happening to anyone else besides me in realizing, pray tell, what is going on?????

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Tina_H_V said:
Well, it has happened.
13 minutes into the second hour of tonight's episode of American Idol...I became bored.
I got so bored, that I walked away from my main unit and into my second unit to watch the rest via SDTV.
By now, AI had gone to shorter episodes.
But now, FOX appears to be stretching these episodes out--as if the network has nothing else to roll out in the way of a new hour-long drama or a half-hour sitcom.
Is this happening to anyone else besides me in realizing, pray tell, what is going on?????
you are not alone ...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Even more frustrating is the fact that American Idol *adds* time to its shows (as Tina correctly pointed out), while So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD) has its results show completely cut. The talent on SYTYCD is easily the best of any performance show, yet because it doesn't crank in the ratings (apparently ignoring that it's a summer show) like AI, it gets gutted.

Nigel (especially Nigel) and Simon (Fuller) *must* realize that AI is the inferior show. I can't believe they didn't have at least a bit of clout when SYTYCD was chopped down.

This is the last season I'll be watching AI: unless the loss of the results show is a complete train wreck, I'll be back for SYTYCD.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I still like some things about AI, so I will continue to watch. For me, SYTYCD is not something I enjoy at all and have no interest in regardless of Idol. The shows on AI have been stretched with the new duets and trio pairings, but some of them I actually enjoy so I don't mind that format change.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
It took me a minute to decode the long acronym. It's easier to read abridged titles rather than long strings of random letters.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
For those following along at home, SYTYCD = So You Think You Can Dance, a show Nigel also produces (he's also the main judge).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
There, I've edited the post to reflect the establishing of a short form. Apologies for the confusion--after 9 seasons, I was simply using the abbreviation the fans use. Sorry!

I think Idol seriously needs to think about moving away from some of the standard operating procedures. First of all, no more oldies/retro "themes." No mo years of their birth, no more 80s, no more no matter how popular they were. While every so often there is a gem or two, most of the performances are nowhere near on the same level as the more modern song choices.

I would also like to see the band back on the stage. I don't mean some lonely sax player or a guitarist plugged into a sad-looking amp, all by himself. The *whole* band. While some "stars" hide the band off to the side or whatever, most just sing right in front of them. More often than not, it helps the artist relax and get into the performance more.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I personally don't mind the length (it's better than the rushed feeling when they're trying to squeeze in another show). But after weeks of complaining that the show is too old fashioned, they come up with a current decade night, and then proceed to sings songs I've never heard or heard of. It's really hard to jump in and accept new music without a few listens. so most of the performances went over my head in a way, and I don't remember most of the show as a result. You won't find too many posters here who know any Kellie Pickler songs much less the one Skylar sang. I've heard that Colton song before, but then again, it's Colton, so I hate it. So if you haven't been keeping up on current music other than toe dipping into top 40 radio or buying albums from specific bands, you may approach the show the same way a tween looks at it when they have a Billy Joel night.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I loved Elise & Phillip - Somebody I Used To Know on first listen, even though I'd never heard it before. It's the only song I've saved from AI this season, and I've rewatched it at least 10 times. For me, I like what I like. I don't need to have heard it before to like it if it's "really good" (as defined by my taste and ears of course). Then again, I wasn't familiar with "Nature Boy" until Casey Abrams did it on AI. I'm in agreement with trashing the themes, but what I'd really like is to "open the catalog" so there's really a wide array of songs to choose from in all kinds of genres, time periods, etc. Because the most important thing to me is to get artists to perform to the best of their abilities, and that happens when they can pick a song they connect to.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I liked that song too Mikah. I had never heard the song before, and now that I've heard the original, I also really think Phillip and Elise did a great job with it. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I enjoyed last nights show for the most part. I thought Elise, Joshua, Skylar and Jessica did really well. I even thought Colton was ok and I've never liked him. I'd like to see AI just dump the themes all together, and let them pick whatever song they wish from whatever is available, each and every week. Just let it fly. Having them sing full songs wouldn't be bad either to put more singing into the show.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Hanson said:
I personally don't mind the length (it's better than the rushed feeling when they're trying to squeeze in another show).  But after weeks of complaining that the show is too old fashioned, they come up with a current decade night, and then proceed to sings songs I've never heard or heard of. It's really hard to jump in and accept new music without a few listens. so most of the performances went over my head in a way, and I don't remember most of the show as a result.  You won't find too many posters here who know any Kellie Pickler songs much less the one Skylar sang. I've heard that  Colton song before, but then again, it's Colton, so I hate it. So if you haven't been keeping up on current music other than toe dipping into top 40 radio or buying albums from specific bands, you may approach the show the same way a tween looks at it when they have a Billy Joel night.
Well, you're wrong because I know and like most of Kelly Pickler songs. She's just as good, if not better than Carrie Underwood in my opinion and I really like seeing her on the Country music shows.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Josh Dial said:
There, I've edited the post to reflect the establishing of a short form.  Apologies for the confusion--after 9 seasons, I was simply using the abbreviation the fans use.  Sorry!
I think Idol seriously needs to think about moving away from some of the standard operating procedures.  First of all, no more oldies/retro "themes."  No mo years of their birth, no more 80s, no more no matter how popular they were.  While every so often there is a gem or two, most of the performances are nowhere near on the same level as the more modern song choices.
I would also like to see the band back on the stage.  I don't mean some lonely sax player or a guitarist plugged into a sad-looking amp, all by himself.  The *whole* band.  While some "stars" hide the band off to the side or whatever, most just sing right in front of them.  More often than not, it helps the artist relax and get into the performance more.
I agree with some, but disagree on other points here. Yes, it can work against them, but I do NOT want to see them just pick songs that are current or more in their age range. Most of that music I don't listen to or care about and also I think it shows how well they can adapt to different genre or times in different music categories. Just letting them choose anything would be horrid, but they can make it better by letting them choose a different artist than just one, but from that same time period. So, if they don't know or like Billy Joel for their song choices, they can choose someone else in that same time that would be just as popular.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Last night's show was totally contrived that it was unbelievable. I mean come on, they knew full well they had to use their save soon and planned this. You can tell from how it was promoted to Steven saying before Jessica sang they were "using the save" and how all the judges ran up on stage in perfect rehearsal stopping the song and taking the mike. This was so obvious and predictable for a "reality" show.
Now, next week 2 will be gone with no save.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Jeffery_H /t/317806/american-idol-season-11/120#post_3916174
Well, you're wrong because I know and like most of Kelly Pickler songs. She's just as good, if not better than Carrie Underwood in my opinion and I really like seeing her on the Country music shows.

Jeffery, I make misstatements and factual errors so many times and you want to call me out on this? I don't think my statement:

"You won't find too many posters here who know any Kellie Pickler songs much less the one Skylar sang."

Is incorrect because YOU, as a single poster, know the entirety of the Kellie Pickler's ouvre.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've watched the show from the beginning and couldn't name one single song from anybody. But that's just me, oh and my wife too.
Also Jeffrey, are you saying they knew who was going to be voted off before the show and set the show up around that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks