What's new

America´s Sweethearts - Digital Bits vs. DVDFile (1 Viewer)

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
quote: I totally disagree with you about the onslaught
of new reviewers on the net. Just because there
were people doing it first and longer than others
doesn't make them more credible or professional.
I'm not too fond of the fact you are blatantly
putting down reviewers -- including (if I am
to read between the lines) -- myself.[/quote]
Ron,
Are you (or any other reviewer) beyond reproach or something? While I can understand your not being too "fond" of your reviews subtlely being put down, is it possible that Cliff has a point?
I know that the only DVD reviews I take to heart are those by very experienced reviewers who have historically proven both accurate in their previous reviews and relatively unaffected by their enthusiasm for the film itself or the studio's "push". I also appreciate something of systematic approach coupled with a lack of hyperbole or nonsensical jargon (a la Widescreen Review). It's the reason I give a review by Obi about 100 times more weight than a review by some dope over at dvdtalk.com and many other DVD reviewers. Personally, I also prefer reviews that touch only in an ancillary fashion the quality of the movie: if I want to hear a critique of the film, I'll read Roger Ebert.
The bottom line: I'm with Cliff. Not all reviews are created equal, and very valuable to a review is a "perspective" of sorts that simply doesn't come merely by way of enthusiasm on the part of the reviewer. I own hundreds of DVDs and a high-end HT, love movies, and watch lots of them, but I don't think any amount of enthusiasm could compensate for my sparse experience reviewing DVDs. While your (and other reviewers') opinions are great for what they are, I don't think you can fault readers for attaching more weight to the reviews of those more experienced -- although I still enjoy reading your reviews. :)
Cheers!
------------------
My oh so exciting DVD collection.
[Edited last by MikeF on November 13, 2001 at 09:42 PM]

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Once every Randy, Oliver and Nathan decides to call himself a reviewer...
What happened to Tom, Dick and Harry? (no one fits the abbreviation TDH?
wink.gif
)
Frankly, I value the opinion of all the reviewers I read. It does not take a degree in Film or English to write a good DVD review (though it helps!) - all that I care about is that they write what they see.
And please don't knock enthusiasm! I love reading enthusiastic reviews of my favourite movies. I know where to find technical reviews when I want them.
Finally, there can never be too many reviews. Remember, you do not have to read them all!

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Yikes, no one is perfect, just because DVDFILE might have mishandled the MGM situation, you decide not to read it anymore? Everyone makes mistakes. I know Bracke and he's a good guy.
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. :)
------------------
British film-making at its finest.
Superman CINEMA
http://www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Dharmesh C on November 14, 2001 at 02:58 AM]

Hubert

Second Unit
I like boths sites, but DVDFiles layout is much better to me. DigitalBit's layout is just plain bad. Also, the reviews from DVDFile are much better than DigitalBits. But I think both sites are very good, and I enjoy going to both. That doesn't mean I always agree with every review. On the contrary. But I feel more times than not, DVDFile and DigitalBits get it right. Just different types of reviews.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
*shakes his fist at the big guys*
Just kidding.
The unfortunate problem is that every new DVD reviewing site goes out of their way to duplicate, not necessarily in style or layout, the existing big sites. The full coverage, all reviews, etc etc, where they tend to all look alike.
The new DVD sites that are flourishing are the ones that are finding niches and working with them, such as the noir and horror, etc.
For some reason, as mentioned above, Big Picture just doesn't get much notice these days, which is unfortunate. Jeff's run some great stuff there over the years. But they also update their content differently from the "big guys" by not updating daily, and focusing more on a couple of reviews a week instead of 15 or 20 reviews. (having just recently done a 10 disc review weekend, it ain't fun!). So they don't get referenced as often, but they have a good core following.
There's certainly room enough for all kinds of sites, and all kinds of reviewers. It's best to be not one of the big guys, because you get more flexability and room to change things the way you want with a minimum of fuss. Hell, every time I change a color on my site I get a flood of negative feedback. I can only imagine what Peter gets when he changes the entire layout every year!
Suffice to say, I personally read both the Bits and DVD File. Each has their place. Both have the advantage of being nicely located in Cali, meaning they have great connections and provide some interesting info. Amusingly, I've hardly ever read one of their reviews though. Just no interest in what they thought of a disc. But I'll read in detail the Big Picture disc reviews that interest me.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Attention Please!

I want to take a few minutes to address this
situation since a lot of fault for the direction
of this thread is mine.
Someone asked why separate reviewers on separate
websites had different opinions on the transfer
quality of the same DVD title.
I mistakingly posted that DVD FILE and I disagreed
on the transfer of Willow. I posted that
because I wasn't the only person who misunderstood
how the reviewer, Wayne Rowe, worded his opinion.
Still, it was a blatant mistake on my part and I do
apologize to Mr. Rowe and DVD FILE.
I also want to say that I am a big fan of Peter
Bracke and DVD FILE. Peter is a real gentleman who
has helped our site when we needed it.
But the real problem I want to address is another
reviewer coming to this forum and taking the opportunity
to make pot shots at people who review for other
forums, including myself.
I am the first person to admit (and I often do) that
I am not a gifted writer. I have a limited College
education, and my vocabulary is in desparate need of
improvement.
But let me ask you....all those that write and
claim to be professionals in their field...where
did they get their start? I'm very fortunate that
I started on an established forum with a large
readership.
Both my partner and I decided that I would become
the official DVD reviewer for this site. When this
decision was made, I was quite shocked to hear people
tell me that I had no right to review DVDs as this was
not a review forum and I was not a reviewer.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
Home Theater Forum is the perfect venue for an
official DVD reviewer to post early reviews and
then have members post their reaction to those reviews.
The studios see this as the perfect tool to gauge
member's responses. Unlike other reviewers who
post their reviews without opportunity for public
criticism, I always open myself up to having members
disagree with what I write.
I write my reviews for the members of this forum.
I have never claimed to be a professional reviewer
(whatever that really means) nor better than anyone
else doing reviews on other sites. My advantage is
that I write from the heart. I don't need an expanded
vocabularly or years of experience to look and listen
to a video presentation and tell you what I think. I
have been writing reviews in one form or other since
1992 when I participated on other forums.
I consider myself to have an above average Home
Theater setup that includes a new anamorphic HD
Toshiba RVP, a Panasonic progressive scan DVD
player, and an Outlaw 1050 receiver (which sounds
better than thew Sony ES receiver I had before it).
I feel sort of like a putz having to defend myself
in my own forum. It really upsets me that another
reviewer from another site would ever come to me
and tell me that I don't know how to write reviews
or that my opinions don't deserve the same credit as anyone else. Essentially, this is was told in public
and by private email.
I accept the fact that readers of my reviews are
going to disagree with me often. Those that agree
with me more than not are going to continue reading
my reviews with more faith invested. Those that
feel I don't know what I am talking about are going
to look elsewhere.
It is my hope to continue using this forum to
write reviews for our members in an official
capacity. It is something I enjoy.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
As you've rightly pointed out, credibility takes a long time to build up. But the flipside is that it can be lost very quickly.
Yeah, your probably right. One mistake after years of high quality reporting is a totally valid reason to stop reading their site.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~drashforth/_uimages/flaggif
"Historians of science have long said: A body of knowledge that does not fit in with prevailing ideas, will be ignored as if it does not exist, no matter how scientifically valid it is."
My Spare time larcenists
The worst HT in America.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
One mistake after years of high quality reporting is a totally valid reason to stop reading their site.
rolleyes.gif

The sarcasm might be more effective if it didn't so obviously misstate what I said (as should be obvious to anyone who bothered to read what you've quoted).
M.

Brian York

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian York
Couldn't leave well enough alone....
Just one more point to consider/remember:
Of all the "News & Reviews" sites mentioned in this thread so far, NONE posted anything regarding the fact that MPHG: SE has serious problems with the subtitles for over a week, and only ONE has even done so now. (The Digital Bits, on 10/30)
I didn't post it in the MPHG glitch thread here, but here is a table in the DVDTalk thread summarizing WHO was on the ball in reporting this problem. This failure by all the sites I previously considered to be good sources of current info really disappointed me, and has made me re-evaluate where I go for info. (Hence my increased lurking at DVDTalk, HomeTheaterForum, and DVD Angle!)
As for the quality of their reviews, all of the sites have "blind spots"... I've taken to checking each for a general impression, and seriously consider renting anything that they seem to have a significant difference of opinion over.
------------------
Brian York
Visit The Home Theater Online Community | My DVD Collection(at DVDProfiler)
[Edited last by Brian York on November 14, 2001 at 02:40 PM]

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I was referring to reading the site for news and information rather than for reviews.
I do however, think that frequently disagreeing with a reviewer's opinion is a valid reason to stop reading their reviews.

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I don't read either site. But I'm very J6P in this regard. I don't want to read all the big words some college educated professor can come up with to describe the latest DVD. I want to hear what the average joe has to say about it. That's who I am, an average joe, and that's who I identify with.
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gentlemen,
Could you please do me a favor?
Let's stop badmouthing a particular website.
DVDFILE has been more of a major service to this
DVD community than the very FEW times they may have
made mistakes.
I make mistakes here all the time, but I hope
what I do good outweighs the bad. There is no doubt
that DVDFILE has done more for this community than
against.
Let's please stop the badmouthing. Thanks
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
On the subject of American Sweethearts, which I just finished watching, let me offer my two cents. I personally thought the transfer was top notch, or at least it appeared so on my Toshiba TheaterWide 42H81. Colors were brilliant and edge enhancement was minimal.
The movie, however, is another matter. It was not top notch. Good performances, lousy script (IMHO, of course).

Jim D

Auditioning
I have always like the reviews on the digitalbits (except the are slow sometimes) and especially the bigpicture, i like those the most because their reviewers have the most consistant reviews. I think the bigpicture only has Jeff and one other person that does the reviews.
DVDfile seems to have too many people doing their reviews and what one person thinks is good, it may not be what someone else likes from the same site, it's like a lack consistancy. Also they seem to have too many opinions on things that have nothing to do with the disc itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks