What's new

Amazon VOD poor quality (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I am a little unhappy with the quality I have gotten from Amazon streaming HD service. I had some coupons for free PPV from Amazon so I have given a couple a try. I am streaming using a Panasonic dmp-bd605 BR player connected through an Onkyo tx-sr805 to a Panasonic tcp-42S1 plasma. I watched Expendables in HD a couple weeks ago and thought it looked poor, certainly worse than an upconverted DVD through my BR player. Gave it another shot and watched A-Team which was borderline unacceptable to me. It was only 2 channel audio and the picture was very poor to be considered HD. Amazon had checked my bandwidth from their side which they measure at 5.5 Mbps which they said was plenty of bandwidth. I have AT&T DSL Elite which is 6.0 Mbps. Is the quality really that poor, or are my expectations too high for streaming?

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Is the quality really that poor, or are my expectations too high for streaming?

yes, and yes.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
That's what I was afraid of chuck. Is Netflix any better? I've thought about signing up for it, but don't really have a way to stream it to my TV right now that makes me happy. I don't want to use my Xbox 360 as it is of the fragile generation, and the Wii wouldn't be HD. My Panny blu-ray player is a 2009 model that apparently Panasonic has decided not to make Netflix capable.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My experience has been pretty good with Amazon and Netflix on my TIVO. With the TIVO, Amazon downloads the movie to the harddrive first. Netflix streams. I have a pretty good internet connection (25/15 FIOS) so that may be why I've had good results. Of course when I want to watch a good movie, I always get the bluray. Nothing compares (especially the sound)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks