What's new

Amazon starts Black Friday Web Site. WIll you be sitting at the computer every four hours waiting f (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I won't buy anymore Tolkien stuff until there is a set with TC/EE blu ray of LotR and Hobbit all together with collectable action figure attached. :P :D

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
That's it! In 2013, I will not buy another BD release from a major studio until Black Friday. I've been buying these releases throughout the year at much higher prices and haven't even watch many of them to date. It has finally sunk into my hard head that my disc library is so large with a viewing list so long that I can afford to wait months at a time for most of these BD titles. This is especially true for those new films I've already seen during their theatrical run. What a dope I've been for so many years. It's time to get a little smarter with my monies.
Yeah, that's what I tell myself too. :)
I did manage to wait for sales for LOTR, Extended Edition and the Bond 50 collection but I haven't always been so patient.
Ron has a valid point that it can be difficult to know what will and what will not be available at discount. I do try to wait for Gold Box deals or sales for some titles. Something I really really want will be a first week purchase, especially for the reasonably priced catalog titles that are under $20.00, but in many cases it certainly does pay to be patient. The flip side of that is that I tend to purchase marginal titles that I probably should not be getting at all in the name of getting a 'bargain'. I've started comparing Amazon (US) with Amazon (UK) prices and found pretty terrific savings on the Universal Monsters collection and the Harry Potter films to name two instances. It also pays to keep in mind the history of how prices work based on studio / production company / etc. HBO titles tend to have a slight discount opening week, then go up and stay there for quite a while. Criterion tends to be stable from week one until there is a Criterion sale. My 'to view' list is pretty large since fall television started and I don't really have any business purchasing some of the stuff that I acquire. The sales this week haven't really helped reduce my 'to view' list.
Just some random stuff on the vagaries of acquiring a Home Video collection.
- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
That's it!  In 2013, I will not buy another BD release from a major studio until Black Friday.  I've been buying these releases throughout the year at much higher prices and haven't even watch many of them to date.  It has finally sunk into my hard head that my disc library is so large with a viewing list so long that I can afford to wait months at a time for most of these BD titles.  This is especially true for those new films I've already seen during their theatrical run.  What a dope I've been for so many years.  It's time to get a little smarter with my monies.
I've started to do that to some degree for the last couple of years. There's things that I want as soon as possible and I still buy those when they're first released but there's a number of TV sets and box sets that I just wait for a sale on. This week alone, I've gotten the Hitchcock set for about $75 cheaper than when it first came out and Get A Life & the latest season of Supernatural each for $25 cheaper than when they first released. I only needed to wait about two months and I saved $125 on three titles.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ronald Epstein said:
That might not be a bad plan, Crawdaddy, though its hard to tell
exactly what Blu-rays will drop in price and what will not.
....I was thinking about the upcoming THE HOBBIT trilogy.
Warner will go through the usual multi-release cycle that starts
with a single Blu-ray to boxed set to Ultimate Collector's Edition.
I am hoping to wait it out a few years so I don't have to purchase
the same titles over and over again.
It's a vicious cycle with some of these releases, and, waiting 
for the right time to buy them at the best price.
That's a good point on The Hobbit trilogy. There is guaranteed to be an ultimate box set in 2014-15, probably including both the 2D and 3D versions, and it will be on sale Black Friday just as the LOTR EE Blu-rays were. We just have to be patient.
I'll just see the HFR 3D version in the theater and live with that for a few years. (Too bad we can't get HFR in the home...)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is weird....one of today's deals with the blu-ray Rathbone/Bruce box set for $56.99. However when I looked online earlier today it was $52.xx so I went ahead and ordered it with the intention of cancelling and re-ordering if the "deal" actually ended up being a greater discount than previously advertised. The "deal" just went live for the $56.99 which is more than I paid just a few minutes ago.

Not complaining, just found this strange :)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had just logged in to purchase Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection on blu-ray, but the price is now higher. They originally posted that it would be a lightning deal for $34.99. Now posting for $56.99, which is higher than the regular price of $52.72.
Oh well, no sale for me. Really strange, and leaves me a bit discouraged on this whole Amazon Black Friday deal.
-Rodney

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Rodney /t/325141/amazon-starts-black-friday-web-site-will-you-be-sitting-at-the-computer-every-four-hours-waiting-for-the-next-bf-deal/60#post_4005171
I had just logged in to purchase Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection on blu-ray, but the price is now higher. They originally posted that it would be a lightning deal for $34.99. Now posting for $56.99, which is higher than the regular price of $52.72.
Oh well, no sale for me. Really strange, and leaves me a bit discouraged on this whole Amazon Black Friday deal.
-Rodney
$35 would have been a great deal. Too bad that didn't materialize. $52.72 (which I paid) isn't too bad; I did notice that Amazon sells this product as part of its "Warehouse Deals" program so hopefully the product is just overstock and not damaged.

Amazon was also promoting a lightening deal on the Complete Columbo series which had me excited until it went live at just a 23% discount. Pass until a better deal comes along.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Adam Lenhardt said:
I was kicking myself for not jumping on Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series [Blu-ray] (2010) when it was $23 and change the other day. Now I'm glad I waited because I was just able to snap it up at $19.99.
Thank-you so much Adam for posting this.
an awesome deal indeed.
But damn it... I keep spending when I say I'm not going to.
I also had to pick up Shawshank Redemption blu-ray book for $7.99

David Mahlan

Stunt Coordinator
Rodney said:
The CyberMonday Movie & TV Calendar lists it for $34.99 again -- set to start at 4:20 PM PST today.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up! Now will it stay at that price, or go up again?
-Rodney

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
David Mahlan said:
The CyberMonday Movie & TV Calendar lists it for $34.99 again -- set to start at 4:20 PM PST today.
And I'm irritated by this. I thought it was going to be about $35 and when it was higher on Saturday, I was confused. I ended up buying it anyway and now I see the deal for today. IT's already shipped so I can't just cancel the previous order and try to get it today.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay, this time it stayed at $34.99 and I was able to purchase.
I was pretty irritated on Saturday when they pulled the ol' switcheroo on the pricing. Glad that didn't happen again.
If you ordered it at the higher price, I would at the very least send in an email to Amazon and see if they will honor the price and make a correction for you. Or you can order it now and return the order from Saturday.
-Rodney

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by David Mahlan /t/325141/amazon-starts-black-friday-web-site-will-you-be-sitting-at-the-computer-every-four-hours-waiting-for-the-next-bf-deal/60#post_4005747
Thanks, David. I just saw your post and got put on the waitlist. Fortunately my Saturday order for $52 didn't ship yet and I canceled that. Hopefully the waitlist comes through....it listed my chances as "good".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks