1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon Shipping Free Shipping Policy?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Johnny Angell, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I recently ordered several DVDs, all with the free shipping option. Some are already available, but none will ship untill all are released in November.

Is this their normal free shipping policy? Can't say I'm very fond of it.

2. DonaldB

DonaldB Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the normal policy, and a very reasonable one at that. However, when there's a gap of a few weeks between the items you've ordered that are already in stock and those that aren't released yet, they'll often ship the in-stock items early anyway.

3. CraigF

CraigF Well-Known Member

Craig
    Yup, if it's plainly stated that some items aren't available when you place your order (i.e. pre-orders), then they won't ship anything early unless a pre-order is delayed. Or an item in your order's availability becomes otherwise very delayed beyond what they told you. If that happens, they'll ship the stuff that is available. Seems reasonable to me, they're actually pretty good about it.

4. larry mac

larry mac Well-Known Member

When free shipping and the price of the item combine for a lower or equal price than elsewhere AND I like the store; I go for it. Amazon.com has always amazed me with their fast eficient service.

I just received a pair of Wharfedale Bi-Poles for my bedroom. First off, they were the only place that I found these speakers in Maple instead of black. Ordered on Sunday, got them Thursday. Plus, every day (several times a day actually; like a little kid waiting for a secret decoder ring) I checked on the shipping progress on the amazon website. All one has to do is click on your account and through the miracles of those little scanners UPS uses can see exactly where your package has been and is now. I'm talkin' 'bout when it leaves one place, arrives at another, gets unloaded from a truck, etc. My package had about 10 entries in 3 days. Maybe I've just been lucky, but have always had excellent results with them.

Johnney,

This free shipping can be great BUT, it makes pre-ordering impractible. If I couldn't find a better deal elsewhere, I might be tempted to just pay for the shipping on a separate pre-order.

Salud, larry mac

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I wonder how big a gap there has to be before the do separate shipments? I've ordered Raiders (now), Looney Tunes Golden (Oct 28) and Finding Nemo (Nov 4) and nothing is going to ship til Nov 10.

So even when Nemo comes out, they wait another week?

6. David Williams

David Williams Well-Known Member

7. larry mac

larry mac Well-Known Member

When I placed my order online, the shipping info stated that I would receive the item in 7-8 days with the free shipping. It got here in 4 days!

8. nolesrule

nolesrule Well-Known Member

Joe Kauffman
    The free shipping is just the least expensive ground shipping option that they use, which would also be the slowest. That's way it takes a little longer. I usually get my free shipped stuff in a week or less. They don't hold it a week before they ship it out.

9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

10. David Williams

David Williams Well-Known Member

11. CraigF

CraigF Well-Known Member

Craig
    As others have said, for a straight transaction (no special offers/coupons/etc.), new major studio releases are cheaper offline...so go to a major B&M if you can. If you can't, amazon is not bad at all. FWIW, I get my discs 1-2 days after they become available with the free shipping, guess it depends where you live. Recently, amazon has started shipping discs a day or two before release (this is new in Canada) so I may get a non-major studio release on or the day after release day. Sometimes amazon drops the price (from pre-order price) on release day...ask nicely and they'll credit/refund the difference. Also, any problems with a disc and they send a replacement before you send the problem one back. So I have to say their customer service and free shipping is pretty good...they always respond quickly to queries, unlike many online places...

12. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

With free shipping it takes me 2-3 days to receive my packages from Amazon.

13. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Thread resurrection!

What method(s) of shipping does Amazon use for their Super Saver Free Shipping option for those of you on the Mainland?

I always used to get Priority Mail then for my last two recent orders over $25, they sent it Parcel Post!

14. DonaldB

DonaldB Well-Known Member

They usually use media mail or parcel post, and sometimes UPS. The items always get to me very quickly, regardless of method.

15. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Since I live in Hawai'i, Media Mail or Parcel Post is slow. It can take up to three weeks. So I'm wondering if Amazon realized their "error" (by shipping it to me free via Priority Mail) and by sending it Parcel Post, it is now the correct method. My last order was shipped on Dec. 5 and I still haven't received it yet.

One order shipped on 11/30 and it got here on 12/8. The other order shipped 12/5 and got here 12/18. Both via Parcel Post from NV to HI.

16. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    [post deleted]

17. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Well-Known Member

I heard that they have gotten real strict on it now. As stated above, they used to send things ot as they were available, (even though their policy says otherwise). But now with their belt-tightening, like no more STL, they are holding everything on an order until it's all available.

18. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

I actually rely on them holding orders until everything is in stock, as it allows for delaying payment on preorders - if they don't partial ship.

19. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    A recent order that uses Super Saver Free Shipping was sent to me via USPS "Smart Mail." What is that??? I didn't ask them to explain that since they claim that they are striving to get packages to their destinations on time so they assured me that it would get to me within two weeks. If not, to contact them and do the usual.

UPDATE: "Smart Mail" was simply 1st Class Mail. Guess it's something they have with USPS. But 1st Class Mail usually takes no more than 5 days but this time it took a week.
    -

20. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

Ever since Amazon announced their "Amazon Prime" service (pay an annual fee; get free 2-day shipping on every order), I've noticed that my orders with free shipping take longer to ship. DVD pre-orders usually shipped no later than the street date. But I have an order that streeted last week and only today entered the shipping channel. My order with today's street date isn't even that far yet.

Amazon's stock just took a big hit on worse-than-expected earnings. The free shipping option is a big component of the loss, and I wonder whether they're trying to wean people away from it.

M.