What's new

Amazon relents on Sales Tax, sets sights on Same Day Delivery instead (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I LOVE all the internet naysaying. One way or another there is going to be a LOT of crow eating a few years from now. I personally think they will pull it off.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
I LOVE all the internet naysaying. One way or another there is going to be a LOT of crow eating a few years from now. I personally think they will pull it off.
I think my plate of crow is at least 10 to 15 years away at a minimum. I can't really think of how they will be able to overcome some serious issues with this plan. From realistic concerns like accidents (it is essentially a small helicopter that will likely have to land in the midst of people that are on their phones at all times and oblivious to anything outside of their screen, birds, trees, houses, cars, bicyclists, power lines) or morons trying to mess with or steal the drone to the cost of the service (which will have to be massive for such quick shipping) all the way down to concerns that are extremely unlikely (like some maniac using one as a weapon) but are still a hurdle that will have to be cleared before it becomes a reality.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Radioman970 said:
neat video. Some are saying a little target practice and you'll get a present. I'd think that present would be 10-20 years. For me, it will be kind of cool at first to see those things flying all around like birds. I hope it works out. I probably won't pay extra for such a service though. I don't mind waiting up to 2 weeks...heck, a month for something I want. The anticipation makes it that much better.
Amazon also patented Santatech, so they can deliver without you ever seeing them. Initial rollout is weirdly restricted to customers with chimneys.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DaveF said:
Amazon also patented Santatech, so they can deliver without you ever seeing them. Initial rollout is weirdly restricted to customers with chimneys.
This service costs more in shipping, though -- a plate of cookies and a glass of milk.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Amazon Fresh trucks have been all over LA streets, using the "street blocking" method that UPS and FEDEX trucks do when they need to make a delivery but there's no available parking. Luckily LA streets are generally fairly wide, I can't imagine how that's going to play in the narrow, and often steep streets of San Francisco...

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
As far as drone deliveries go, I think the first step won't be for the drones to drop off at your house but rather pre-arranged drop off points where Amazon lockers are present. Having a landing zone that could be controlled, with a centralized pickup/gathering for the shipping containers, eliminates a lot of problems. I could even see such a place having a drive through.

Of course, Amazon would probably need an employee at such a location but if they are charging extra for the service it shouldn't be hard to cover that expense.

-Keith

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Keith Plucker said:
As far as drone deliveries go, I think the first step won't be for the drones to drop off at your house but rather pre-arranged drop off points where Amazon lockers are present. Having a landing zone that could be controlled, with a centralized pickup/gathering for the shipping containers, eliminates a lot of problems. I could even see such a place having a drive through. Of course, Amazon would probably need an employee at such a location but if they are charging extra for the service it shouldn't be hard to cover that expense. -Keith
Unless the drones deliver to your door the idea is DOA.The extra shipping costs could never cover the expense of having an employee sitting around at a delivery station or the cost of having delivery stations. Also, what's the point if it is not delivered to your door? If I have to get in my car and drive to a pick up location I might as well drive to a local store which would probably be cheaper since there would be no delivery charges.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Patrick_S said:
Unless the drones deliver to your door the idea is DOA.The extra shipping costs could never cover the expense of having an employee sitting around at a delivery station or the cost of having delivery stations.Also, what's the point if it is not delivered to your door? If I have to get in my car and drive to a pick up location I might as well drive to a local store which would probably be cheaper since there would be no delivery charges.
Almost everything I order from Amazon I couldn't find at a local store and I live on the edge of Chicago. Depends on what you're ordering I guess.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
Unless the drones deliver to your door the idea is DOA.The extra shipping costs could never cover the expense of having an employee sitting around at a delivery station or the cost of having delivery stations.Also, what's the point if it is not delivered to your door? If I have to get in my car and drive to a pick up location I might as well drive to a local store which would probably be cheaper since there would be no delivery charges.
I agree. For me, buying online is as much about not having to drive someplace to purchase an item as it is saving money, so paying a premium for delivery and still needing to drive to a pickup point would be pointless. If I have to get in my car anyway, I may as well just drive to the store.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't work. I received an unwanted package from them (had my name/address everything correct) but it was nowhere on my account, and I had no outstanding order (i.e. maybe the labels were misapplied on a different box). It was doggie poop bags. I own no dog. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, you summoned up my thoughts completely.

That said I hope to receive many "gifts" from Amazon.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Ya never know, Carlos.

You might see one of those little Amazon drones heading your way with a dog hanging from it.
Jeez now I'm scared I'm going to receive baby diapers next! :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks