What's new

Amazon relents on Sales Tax, sets sights on Same Day Delivery instead (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately for me, starting on October 1st, the state of Michigan starts collecting sales tax on internet sales including Amazon. Looks like I'll just cut out those borderline purchases to offset the sales tax. In short, I'll buy less and end up saving more money in the end.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Unfortunately for me, starting on October 1st, the state of Michigan starts collecting sales tax on internet sales including Amazon. Looks like I'll just cut out those borderline purchases to offset the sales tax. In short, I'll buy less and end up saving more money in the end.
Dammit. I wasn't aware of that.

I buy all my dvd, and Blu Ray(because most titles I buy are never offered at my brick and mortar stores!!!!) through Amazon so I'm gonna feel it for sure.

whatever_gong82

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth
Robert Crawford said:
I spent some time in Michigan, but now live in the Southwestern part of the US, and Amazon has to pay sales tax here as well.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
UGH! It is worse than I thought. Apparently when my Prime membership renews I will get taxed for that too. I don't think that is fair.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:

Thanks for the reminder, Robert. I just placed an order for some items that had been on my wish list in order to beat the October 1st switch over. I had been waiting for price drops, but much of those drops would be offset by the sales tax anyway. If the title was close to my target price, I just ordered it now.

So, after having very few new films to watch for quite some time, I am going to have 7 or 8 show up this week. That should keep me occupied for several weeks.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Been paying sales tax in Maryland ever since Amazon opened its Baltimore distribution center (another reason to dislike Baltimore -- they get the jobs benefit and the rest of us pay), but has it changed my buying habits? Nope. Reason: B&Ms have narrow selection, higher prices, little or no customer service and minimum-wage NCAA (No Clue At All) staff.

Plus Amazon delivers to my door.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. This brings me back a few years when Amazon came to New Jersey (I think we have two major distribution plants here), and thus, started charging sales tax.

It really hurt,at first, but after awhile you don't really give it an afterthought.

Edit: Just reading Rick's post above. Yeah, there is nothing that competes with the convenience you get from Amazon. I never, ever go to a B&M store anymore. I get about a dozen packages (if not more) from Amazon each month.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Rick Thompson said:
Been paying sales tax in Maryland ever since Amazon opened its Baltimore distribution center (another reason to dislike Baltimore -- they get the jobs benefit and the rest of us pay), but has it changed my buying habits? Nope. Reason: B&Ms have narrow selection, higher prices, little or no customer service and minimum-wage NCAA (No Clue At All) staff.

Plus Amazon delivers to my door.
Yeah, I've been paying tax on stuff from Amazon for years now and it sucks but it's had no effect on my purchasing because Amazon is still consistently the best game in town.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ronald Epstein said:
Wow. This brings me back a few years when Amazon came to New Jersey (I think we have two major distribution plants here), and thus, started charging sales tax.

It really hurt,at first, but after awhile you don't really give it an afterthought.

Edit: Just reading Rick's post above. Yeah, there is nothing that competes with the convenience you get from Amazon. I never, ever go to a B&M store anymore. I get about a dozen packages (if not more) from Amazon each month.

I agree, Ron. Even with the addition of sales tax being charged, I will still be giving Amazon my business. The convenience of not spending time and gasoline driving to/from the store is still a big consideration for me -- plus, I've never been a person who enjoys going to the store to shop. I would much rather someone deliver my items to my front door.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
every single time I go to a B&M looking for an item (any item) and the shop is out or does not or no longer carries the item I leave and hit up Amazon.

The only thing bugs me is that the last two Prime orders took a week and a half to get to me. The items were in stock and "sold by Amazon" not a third party.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've only been ordering from Amazon since December 2011, and their Canadian site was already charging both Ontario sales taxes for direct orders, even then! However, I can avoid these by ordering via Amazon Marketplace.

For me, the real bugaboo these days is the bloody damn huge hit we Canucks have taken on the rate of exchange since last year! It's really put a dent on any purchases from my end, especially for items only available to order via U.S. based sites!

It sucks that our Canadian Dollar is only worth 75 cents U.S, as items that were formerly just within my purchasing reach, simply cost too much now! There's just only certain items that I'm willing to save up multiple months to purchase, and a lousy exchange rate probably means an additional month of scraping together funds! :P

CHEERS! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
cb1 said:
every single time I go to a B&M looking for an item (any item) and the shop is out or does not or no longer carries the item I leave and hit up Amazon.

The only thing bugs me is that the last two Prime orders took a week and a half to get to me. The items were in stock and "sold by Amazon" not a third party.

Complain to Amazon. Go to their support page and find their contact via email.

My bet is that they give you an extra month's worth of PRIME. Trust me, Amazon responds in kind when they get legitimate complaints about delivery problems. After all, you are paying for a service.

Tony Bensley said:
For me, the real bugaboo these days is the bloody damn huge hit we Canucks have taken on the rate of exchange since last year! It's really put a dent on any purchases from my end, especially for items only available to order via U.S. based sites!

It sucks that our Canadian Dollar is only worth 75 cents U.S, as items that were formerly just within my purchasing reach, simply cost too much now! There's just only certain items that I'm willing to save up multiple months to purchase, and a lousy exchange rate probably means an additional month of scraping together funds! :P

CHEERS! :)

Anthony,

That has to be a huge problem. I noticed the Canadian and dollar difference when I traveled to your country earlier this year. I never saw that kind of U.S. dollar domination in all the years I had been traveling to Canada. Hope it levels out for you guys soon.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
I agree, Ron. Even with the addition of sales tax being charged, I will still be giving Amazon my business. The convenience of not spending time and gasoline driving to/from the store is still a big consideration for me -- plus, I've never been a person who enjoys going to the store to shop. I would much rather someone deliver my items to my front door.
I have always hated shopping in stores. My experience(and I'm not trying to be funny) When I honestly can't find what I'm looking for, I can't find a salesperson to help me, and end up wasting a lot more time to find out they don't have it in stock anyway, and they tell me they can order it or I can get it online! Or, I am being bombarded by unwanted sales people pestering me if I'm just browsing the shelves, and need no assistance. Everything from cell phone services to tv cable plans etc. I was looking at televisions the other day and a sales lady told me to "Get excited because you're buying a tv today" and then she started dancing.

Awkward. I assured her the tv's they were pushing weren't what I was looking for, and thanked her.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ronald Epstein said:
Anthony,

That has to be a huge problem. I noticed the Canadian and dollar difference when I traveled to your country earlier this year. I never saw that kind of U.S. dollar domination in all the years I had been traveling to Canada. Hope it levels out for you guys soon.
Hi Ron!

As much as I wish that were the case, based on what I've been reading, if anything, it's likely to only drop further, as there seems to be no forecast bottoming out, or end in sight, if that makes any sense! Our CAN/U.S. exchange is at exactly 75 cents, down from the recent 75.57, as I type this! :angry: :angry:

Tony

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bryan^H said:
I have always hated shopping in stores. My experience(and I'm not trying to be funny) When I honestly can't find what I'm looking for, I can't find a salesperson to help me, and end up wasting a lot more time to find out they don't have it in stock anyway, and they tell me they can order it or I can get it online! Or, I am being bombarded by unwanted sales people pestering me if I'm just browsing the shelves, and need no assistance. Everything from cell phone services to tv cable plans etc. I was looking at televisions the other day and a sales lady told me to "Get excited because you're buying a tv today" and then she started dancing.

Awkward. I assured her the tv's they were pushing weren't what I was looking for, and thanked her.

It's no wonder stores are doing poorly business-wise.

The only store shopping I do is grocery. Everything else is Amazon.

I even buy my displays over the Internet, however not via Amazon. There is a huge retailer in NYC called B&H PHOTO. I can order from them and not pay sales tax. They are very good with television deliveries.

But, yeah, I understand exactly what you are describing when you get these awkward store sales experiences.

Tony Bensley said:
Hi Ron!

As much as I wish that were the case, based on what I've been reading, if anything, it's likely to only drop further, as there seems to be no forecast bottoming out, or end in sight, if that makes any sense! Our CAN/U.S. exchange is at exactly 75 cents, down from the recent 75.57, as I type this! :angry: :angry:

Tony

Wow. That's gotta be hard on the wallet. Hope that reverses itself sooner than later.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious as to why I never get charged sales tax on my numerous Amazon shipments. They even opened a distibution center about 12 miles from here this summer so they have a physical presence in the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks