What's new

Amazon Prime- Shipping (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
We have the student Prime and if that went up a little we'd probably stick with it. Once student Prime ran out, we definitely would not re-up for $129. And if regular free shipping proves to be super slow, then my local Best Buy will be one happy retailer. Now that Amazon has to charge CA sales tax, Prime quickness and convenience is their only advantage. But even I'll brave local traffic to go to BB rather than wait 4-5 days for new releases.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I got auto-renewed last month, so if the price hike goes into effect soon, I hope to have another 11 months before making the decision to renew at the higher rate.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll stick with Prime no matter as I buy around 100 BDs from Amazon a year. Plus, I use their streaming service quite a bit.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't have prime. It's been tempting, but for now it's not a good value to me. A 50% price hike would keep me away even longer.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have been using Prime for a long time now and like it a lot. I'd probably go for a $20 hike, but $40 will probably push me over the edge, more on principle than anything else.

It used to be that if you bought so much ($25 I think) that shipping was free anyway. I couldn't find that on the site when I went to look just now. Did they do away with that as an enticement to use Prime? If they have the free shipping on orders over a certain amount, losing 2-day delivery wouldn't be a big deal for me (although nice at Christmas time. Heck, needing something quickly near Christmas is the reason I started with Prime in the first place.

I don't have cable, so he Prime streaming is nice, but I mostly use Netflix, Amazon' selection is very limited; so that's not much of an enticement.

I buy almost everything from Amazon now, I probably wouldn't do that without Prime; I'd probably shift a lot more back to Costco. I'm guessing I'm not unique in that regard, so Amazon has a tough calculation to make on this one - make more on the membership fee, but lose sales.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Got the email this morning, which told me mine renews on December 28, 2014, so -- whew! -- I've got time to mull this over.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Don't forget they floated that trial balloon for "as high as $140" a few months back, and got properly blasted for it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
mattCR said:
This seems like a pretty reasonable bump. The $99 still saves me considerably over the course of a year.
Yeah, the rise is cheaper than the speculative pricing $119-129

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I was always unsure Amazon Prime was worth the cost vs how much I actually buy from them. And many of you told me you thought it was well worth it. Earlier this year, they sent me an email saying I bought enough that I could have saved on shipping if I sign up for Prime. Then a few weeks ago, I needed to get something in a hurry and decided to try it. I've been meaning to get some other things before the trial period is over. But then today I got the email that the price is going up to $99 in 2015, and when my trial period is over, I get the $79 price this year. The email though has me still unsure I want to keep the service and whether I should cancel before the trial is over. Because the email made me feel a little burned after I sign on for the trial, they tell me the price will go up!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nelson Au said:
Hmm, I was always unsure Amazon Prime was worth the cost vs how much I actually buy from them. And many of you told me you thought it was well worth it. Earlier this year, they sent me an email saying I bought enough that I could have saved on shipping if I sign up for Prime. Then a few weeks ago, I needed to get something in a hurry and decided to try it. I've been meaning to get some other things before the trial period is over.But then today I got the email that the price is going up to $99 in 2015, and when my trial period is over, I get the $79 price this year.The email though has me still unsure I want to keep the service and whether I should cancel before the trial is over. Because the email made me feel a little burned after I sign on for the trial, they tell me the price will go up!
At least they gave you full disclosure in regard to the price hike. Otherwise, they could've charged you $79 this year then $99 next year. Either way, if you get it for $79 this year, you have a full year to evaluate whether you want to keep it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My renewal is not up until December, so I have time to decide, too. I will probably renew, though, as I buy enough that it will probably still be worth it to me -- especially with the free shipping minimum being increased from $25 to $35.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Did I dream this, or did Amazon publicize not too long ago that they approved of people sharing Prime memberships?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, the rise is cheaper than the speculative pricing $119-129
I wonder if they didn't plan on $100 but leaked the $120 cost so that the $100 price tag wouldn't sound so bad when it was announced. Now excuse me while I go shop for a new tin foil hat. :)

My Prime just got renewed a little over a month ago so I got lucky but I order enough stuff and enjoy the service enough that $100 still seems fair to me and I'll renew next year.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I am of those who has only had a great experience with Prime. I usually get orders the next day. In the early days of Prime, I even received some things the same afternoon if I ordered early in the day. Admittedly, that hasn't happened in a very long time, but I am pleased with the shipping speed. In the very rare occurrence when something hasn't arrived in two days, amazon has kept me apprised of the situation through emails. I have no doubt that I have saved money on shipping with Prime. I do order a lot of stuff from amazon, including clothing and kitchen things, so it has worked out well for me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Charles Smith said:
Did I dream this, or did Amazon publicize not too long ago that they approved of people sharing Prime memberships?
Well, you can add members in your household. You can also ship to other addresses with minimal fuss, which is how I've effectively shared the shipping benefits with family.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
My Prime just got renewed a little over a month ago so I got lucky but I order enough stuff and enjoy the service enough that $100 still seems fair to me and I'll renew next year.
Same here. I love Amazon Prime, and have orders almost every week. If the price for a membership was $150, I'd be hesitant but still go through with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks