What's new

Amazon has "Ben Hur" blu-ray box set up for pre-order $45 release date September 6th (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Amazon has "Ben Hur" blu-ray box set up for pre-order $45 release date September 6th

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Rick Thompson /forum/thread/312017/amazon-has-ben...er-45-release-date-september-6th#post_3819300

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I love this film but I'm with Rick.

I'll be waiting for the Junkless Edition.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This is a very attractive-looking set. I'm a sucker for box sets so I'll be picking this up but Warner should release a "paper sleeve" version, essentially just the disc in a paper sleeve, no extras, nothing, for those of us who just want the movie. That way, everybody is happy: the environmentalists who don't want to see cardboard go to waste, those who could do without pointless memorabilia they'll never find a real use for, etc. Only problem is, they'll probably still charge $30 for the sleeve version.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh my goodness will you look at that lovely cover art? Why, it's a Big Heroic Face against a blue sky background!

What I especially find distracting is when they make a contemporary-looking Big Face cover for a film out of a former era where that kind of shot either doesn't exist or they didn't look hard enough. The face or posture or something never quite looks right.

Interesting how they didn't quite have the balls to not pay tribute to the original Ben-Hur art by grudgingly including it -- while relegating it to being a part of the background instead of letting it be the bold self-evident statement it originally was. The similar King of Kings art didn't merit that much consideration.

Pukeworthy.

(One man's opinion.)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
For King of Kings I made my own Blu-ray sleeve art, copying the original at a reduced size and trimming some from the bottom. Did the same for The Ten Commandments. I may just have to do that again for Ben-Hur.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
While I always prefer original artwork, I certainly understand why the companies do their "photoshop" alterings... they want to attract more potential casual buyers.

Whatever the case, I will now go and pre-order my BIG BOX version of this film!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

I certainly did. Thanks for the heads up Robert. Better coverart too! My order is placed.

Glad it was useful to you, Scott. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll be buying this. Heston is handsome, his handsome face makes this a handsome boxset. I look forward to going through all the "junk" (books are junk?!?!?!?) and watching both versions of the movie. I love the silent version.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
Oh my goodness will you look at that lovely cover art? ...Pukeworthy.

I store my DVDs and Blu-rays so that only the spines are visible.

---------------

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Oh my goodness will you look at that lovely cover art? Why, it's a Big Heroic Face against a blue sky background!

What I especially find distracting is when they make a contemporary-looking Big Face cover for a film out of a former era where that kind of shot either doesn't exist or they didn't look hard enough. The face or posture or something never quite looks right.

Interesting how they didn't quite have the balls to not pay tribute to the original Ben-Hur art by grudgingly including it -- while relegating it to being a part of the background instead of letting it be the bold self-evident statement it originally was. The similar King of Kings art didn't merit that much consideration.

Pukeworthy.

(One man's opinion.)

When the 50th anniversary edition was first announced (two years ago) the art work was much nicer. (I highlight in bold because anniversary dates are becoming redundant imo and "Ben Hur turned 50 in 2009 not 2011). But this looks like it's just a paper slipcover and the actual box will be the solid black color as shown in the picture posted at Amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks