What's new

Amazon announces Amazon Fire TV (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So this outputs 1080p, but Amazon Instant Video content is still 720p right? Just upconverted through Fire TV?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So...Roko, ATV and this, comes up to $300-ish...Still have to pay to use apps that have free versions on a computer, sad.The new $265 Lenovo IdeaCentre for me.My old one(5 years old) only supports 2.0.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If it takes more than a month for HBO Go to come to this platform I will eat a (cake filled) hat. It is already supported on Tablets so it's a no brainer for them and they likely weren't part of the secret beta.

Vudu has chosen not to support Kindle Tablets but I think you can get the app by sideloading from Google Play. I believe sideloading is supported on the TV but we're not 100% sure yet and formatting could be funky.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Tv showed up and is running great, it was pre-registered to me, all I had to do was plug in power and hdmi and give it my wifi pass code and it foound all my stuff..One issue: There doesnt seem to be any way to turn it off! Wouldn't be a big deal if it was using rechargeable batteries but the remote and controller both use regular ones.The controller is a LOUD piece of junk. Avoid.Sev Zero is a dog of a game. If I hadn't gotten it for free with my controller I'd want my $6 back. Avoid.App choices are otherwise still limited. Pandora and Amazon media work great tho. I have not tried surround sound and likely will not, this is hooked right to a flat panel.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Looking forward to hearing further comments about your Fire TV, Sam.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Patrick Donahue said:
One thing I found out about the Fire TV that's a TAD sneaky, especially considering the jabs Amazon made at Apple for being a closed eco-system:The voice search feature only delivers results for movies you can purchase through Amazon. It doesn't search across other services (such at Netflix) like the Roku does.Roku FTW
At first I didn't realize how bad this is. I just read that if you do a voice search while using the Netflix app, it only shows results for Amazon's content even if the the title is also available in Netflix. I am surprised Netflix would allow their service on Amazon's device with that going on.

-Keith

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I may get one of these for my mother-in-law who is apparently so tech-illiterate that she couldn't get the hang of using a Roku LT to access Amazon Prime streaming. The voice search (and speed) will probably help a lot in her case... or so I'm thinking.

She's not doing NF at this point, so don't need voice search for that (so far) -- mainly just Amazon Prime content.

And then, I'll swap w/ her for the Roku LT to be used somewhere in our house instead -- we don't have any dedicated streaming boxes ourselves (and mainly just use a BD player for some Amazon Prime streaming in our livingroom HT).

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I couldn't pass up the $19 price. If anything, I can attach it to the TV that we usually have to hook a laptop to in order to watch something online.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just got a Fire TV a few weeks ago for my birthday. I probably wouldn't have bought it myself, but I've enjoyed having it. I have an Apple TV on our main set and the Fire TV in the bedroom. I'm kind of bummed to see they have made it essentially obsolete this fast.

P

Patrick Donahue

2 things that are stupid about this...1) The free month of Netflix is for new subscribers only, and there is ALWAYS a free month of Netflix offer for new subscribers...2) Instead of getting it for $39 then getting the free month of Prime, sign up for a free month of Prime then get it for $19. The end result is the same but you just paid $20 less.Real slick, Amazon

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
I picked up the Fire TV stick last week at Best Buy for $25. I bought it primarily for Amazon Prime. So far, I'm very pleased with it.Prime streaming works perfectly, no buffering.I've also installed the apps for Prime music, Netflix and Crackle. I have it connected to my receiver (Yamaha). Picture and sound quality are excellent. I'm watching a movie now as I post this.I don't use it for games, so I can't comment on that aspect of it.As I mentioned above, I bought it for Prime. I have a Logitech Revue that I was using for Prime. While the Revue is still a fun gadget, it's slow when using the browser for Prime. For me, the Fire TV stick was worth the purchase just for Prime alone, even if I had paid the regular $40 price. At $25, it was a no-brainer.I installed the Netflix app for the 30 day free trial. Content will determine whether I continue a paid membership.Again, I'm VERY pleased with the Fire TV stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks