What's new

Amazed at the bitterness... (1 Viewer)

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob

Exactly. Last time I checked these formats are not peoples' moms and how people can get so defensive and patriotic to a digital format is beyond me.

To be perfectly honest when I see supposed grown men being fanboys (like at AVS...here it isn't bad) I get ashamed of being classified as a human.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've never picked a side in this war and I never will. I want my movies in HD and that is why I bought both formats. I'm not waiting this war out, it's going to take far too long. There both great formats and I see no reason to pick only one.

As for the topic in this thread, reading many of the posts, mostly at AVS is like going back in time to grammar school, it's too funny some of the things being said and why some are so bent on one side or the other. There's some good info over there but there's almost too much immature crap to bother sifting though to find it.

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah at times the fanboy bickering on the AVS forum seems to reach the same level of the talkbacks on Aint' it Cool News, or the forums on RottenTomatoes!

I'm happily living with both formats (HD-XA1 & PS3), and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I've also noticed more people here recently tend to be buying into both formats, simply because it gives them a wider choice of films.

I don't care if either side wins. As long as they keep releasing current & back catalogue titles in HD, I'll be buying 'em.

Dan M

Second Unit
hear hear!!

or is it here here!! ..?...( i never could get that straight)....

any way I agree

I support hd dvd right simply because it was cheaper. I'm still not ready to fork over 1k for a decent blu ray player but I'm sure I will eventually when they become more affordable. I'm just enjoying what I have for now and will just go along with whatever format wins. My hd dvd's aren't going anywhere and I can still enjoy them no matter what. I really dont care who 'wins'. My HT has never been more enjoyable...

long live Home Cinema!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

robert i notice you have been posting here again after an almost exact 5 years away.

glad you are back.
loved your reviews from back then.
first found them at digitaleyes.

on the topic, i dont get the "passion" for one side or another.
let it fall were it falls if you dont approve of the side dont buy in.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The more I think about this format war...The more it reminds me of a civil war. A war pitting brother vs brother...A war that seems to have divided a group that is normally unified and now made them (at times) bitter enemies. A bit overdramatic I know...But, like I said before. Just read some of the posts on some forums.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I only see it as a war in the forums. Every where else it is called competition. Nothing at all wrong with that. As far as the formats, I own both, so get the benefits of both.

While it can be fun to have sparring matches on-line, it is certainly not as pleasurable as sitting down and popping a HD disk (either format) into the player, cranking up the receiver, flipping down the lounger, dimming the lights, grabbing a (insert beverage of choice) and a bowl of popcorn, and getting carried away by a movie in glorious High Def.

At about this time, all concerns about format, bitrate, codec go out the window.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately the fan boys(mostly BR in my experience) have ruined several discussions on the boards. HD has its own fanboys and they have their issues as well.

I've seen it here as well unfortunately.

I don't really think it's much of a war considering the 2 sides aren't exactly selling like gangbusters. It's more of a territorial squabble.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Too many people trying to appear right about something the marketplace will decide in the end. So far, most of the marketplace appears to be sitting on the sidelines which should be a sign that the manufacturers and studios need to take notice of.

As far as the format war posting activity here, we have tried to minimize the tic for tac arguments on the HTF and there were times it flame up from time to time here, but overall, I thought we did a good job in keeping those flames smothered.

Crawdaddy

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I still go to AVS a lot, but the civility here is light years ahead of there. I used to lament that there were a lot more HD/BD owners over there, but between the shills and fanboy idiots of both sides over there, it's maddening. To get so worked up over a movie format is insane. It gets a little eye rolling over here on occasions, but HTF is light years away from AVS - the inmates run the asylum over there.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Most BDs aren't region coded anyway. It's become more of a talking point than anything else. Being in Fiji, are you in region A or C?

I'd love to know how many titles aren't available for Region A players. With the U.S. and Japan sharing region A and most titles in Europe not being region coded, we haven't really seen many cases of U.S. BD owners shut out of a particular title.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Region C (Australia), with higher pricing. NO THANKS. Player prices are no help either.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not true.
Of the 5 BD exclusives I currently own, only Chicago is "ABC", the other four are "A" (or, incorrectly: "1").

Probably you're also counting the non-exclusives, which is incorrect in this case, because one can buy the HD DVD version of those anyway (none of which have region coding, of course).

It's much more than a "talking point" for me: it's the very reason I didn't buy a PS3 in March, or any other BD-player yet. I wouldn't be able to play most of my Bds.

I'm very happy with the French HD DVD of T2 (because I can play it in the first place, contrary to my BD version) and also because it's a richer 2-disc release (even sporting English DTS-HD Master tracks - which are not of any use at the moment unfortunately, but that may change one day).

Cees

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
So far the Region coding on BD hasn't effected me as most of the desirable titles have been US releases. I can understand if non-US members have a different perspective.

There are a few BD imports from Japan (Same region) that I'll be getting in the near future.

On the flip side the "region free" aspect of HD-DVD has been my only real disappointment with going multi-format. Between reports of certain discs not playing on US players, the rampant Audio Pitch issues with Studio Canal releases, unremovable subtitles, censored out scenes on UK versions, etc, I have yet to experience HD-DVD's region free advantage.

I do agree that BD should be region free (though maybe Fox/Disney mandated the region codes) but so far it's a non-issue from my perspective.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
No doubt about that. Total Recall too. Unfortunately, that's the curse of Lion's Gate. All we can hope for is a re-release or the inevitable Japanese release. But I think you're incorrect about the region code. T2 is region-free on BD according to this site.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While I would still like to see Blu-ray win the war over HD-DVD. I see very good quality on both sides and if HD-DVD wins I will have no problems buying that format instead. I am curently supporting both formats and enjoying them both.

Mmmmmmmm 1080p video and lossless audio! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks