What's new

Am I the only one NOT buying TPM? (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I have no real love of this movie, but I really dig the duel at the end.
I got a VHS tape of this for $5 for that reason, to see the light saber duel-its the only part of the movie I watch.So,its probally the only part of the DVD Ill watch too-but man, is it awesome.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
No, I won't be buying it either. There are too many other good DVDs coming out this season to spend my $$$ on a disc I'd only be buying to show off the sound system. Now if only he'd get the Indy films out...

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
Nope. I also will not be buying this tripe (reference quality sound, but there are others, and watchable to boot)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I had to be dragged to the Chinese Theatre by some "friends" who insisted I see this thing with them in 1999. Squirmed through the entire mess; looked at my watch forlornly. It was one of the loudest, most annoying glorified video games I'd ever been subjected to. Hated TPM. Hated it, hated it, hated it.
And so, I will not be wasting my money on it in DVD. I don't know if I'll even purchase the original Star Wars whenever it arrives on DVD. I'm just not a Star Wars fan.
Whenever I think of those movies, a line from the first one comes to my mind: "Orbiting at maximum velocity." That's referring to the Death Star as it approaches showdown time. Those of you who are familiar with the tenants of written, literary science fiction will know immediately what's wrong with the line "orbiting at maximum velocity."
For me, that line sums it all up when it comes to Lucas's overrated fantasy movies.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

James D S

Screenwriter
Jack,
If you are going to be trivial, the usage of 'parsec' as a measure of time is my favorite. :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Isn't this a poll?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I have no intention of buying it. The only SW I'd ever buy would be a DVD of the original theatrical, unaltered, un-crapped-all-over-by-Lucas, Star Wars. Nothing else interests me as a film lover.
As a Star Wars "fan", however, I'll probably rent them all from time to time under the right sort of circumstances. And damned straight I'll be there on the first day for Episode II.
As I mentioned in another thread, the film lover has more money than the Star Wars fan.
I view these rather like I view Star Trek, both the series and the movies: I watch them, I enjoy them, but I'd never bother to buy them on DVD.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I said that in response to those who say that TPM sucked because it was a kids' movie.
That's not quite what people like me say. We say that its sensibilities are overwhelmingly juvenile (fart jokes, etc.), and that it has very little of interest to adults (other than the loud soundtrack).
That is quite different. As I pointed out, there are very good "kid's movies" that have considerable appeal to adults. TPM isn't one of them.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I will be purchasing this dvd. I have waited for it for a long time now. I think some of the scenes in the film are just too cool to pass up on. Like the dual between Darth Maul, Qui Gon Gin & Obi Won Kenobi. That is the best part of the movie. But as far as the actual content of the movie, I dont think I have watched a movie with less character involvement than this. There was absoulutely no feeling or life to this film at all! I could give a care less about any of the characters. And everybody always complains about Jar Jar Binks. Forget him, I hated Jake Lloyd as Anakin. He was terrible!
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Hubert

Second Unit
At least people that don't like the movie, aren't going to buy the disc. What's unbelievable is that there are a ton of people that didn't like it, but are buying the DVD under the disguise of using it as a demo? I've never understood that, as there are dozens of unbelievable DVDs that can be used as demos.
What I really wonder is how many people here will break down and buy it. I personally enjoyed TPM. Not as good as the originals, but highly enjoyable. Of course the movie is not going to give you the same feeling as an adult 16 years later, that it did as a child.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I personally enjoyed TPM. Not as good as the originals, but highly enjoyable. Of course the movie is not going to give you the same feeling as an adult 16 years later, that it did as a child.
That's exactly how I feel. I liked it and I am going to buy it. I think the biggest reason so many people hated TPM is that they had unrealistic expectations. I also think that its comparisons to the first Star Wars is an apples to oranges thing. When Lucas made SW he didn't know if there was going to be sequels so he had to tighten the story so it could stand on it's own. With TPM, he knows he is telling a story over 3 films and he can take his time. I think that as we see more of the story unfold, we will appreciate TPM as it's part in the whole.
If you didn't like it and don't want to buy it, that's totally cool. But I think that as the rest of the story is told and released on DVD, more of the "haters" will change their tune.
Flame away.
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

------------------
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~drashforth/_uimages/flaggif
"Historians of science have long said: A body of knowledge that does not fit in with prevailing ideas, will be ignored as if it does not exist, no matter how scientifically valid it is."
My Spare time larcenists
The worst HT in America.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Add me to the count of those who are not going to buy it or even rent it for that matter. In fact, I won't even go see any subsequent SW movies unless I see them for free.
I did see TPM, however. I thought it was one of the worst movies of the year, from the script to the characters to the special effects.
That tells you what I think about Lucas.
------------------
Gerardo

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think that as the rest of the story is told and released on DVD, more of the "haters" will change their tune.
Absolutely NOT true for me. Subsequent SW films will do absolutely NOTHING to make TPM seem better (Jake Lloyd's "acting" will still be godawful, Jar Jar will still be annoying, the script will still be pathetically weak and include fart jokes, etc.). In fact, if the later films turn out to be better than TPM, they will only make it MORE obvious how bad TPM is. The idea that they will somehow magically "transform" the above mentioned flaws is ludicrous.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
James: Acknowledged, re the "parsec" line. That's pretty bad, too.
Anyone know how well the TPM disc is selling? One thing's for sure: It will become the biggest DVD hit of all time, surpassing such sales champs as The Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, et al. I just bet you.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Nope, you're not the only one. I hated TPM. I liked ep. 4,5, and 6, but thought that ep1 was a badly done rehash of ep4.(same general story line with a few variations.) Also didn't like the fact that the movie seemed to be more of a vehicle for toy/ kids meal sales than an actual theatrical film. Lucas might want to let some other people take a crack at writing some of these.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
I will NOT buy this movie. I HATED it. Jar Jar ruined it for me. Without him, I would buy it. And without the little kid, I could have done without him. I PRAY Jar Jar isnt in furthur films. If he is, I wont be waiting in line for 6 hours like I did last time (Major city, LOTS of theaters).

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Whenever I think of those movies, a line from the first one comes to my mind: "Orbiting at maximum velocity." That's referring to the Death Star as it approaches showdown time. Those of you who are familiar with the tenants of written, literary science fiction will know immediately what's wrong with the line "orbiting at maximum velocity."

I've read some serious science fiction (Arthur C. Clarke, Greg Bear, etc...I'm more of a fantasy fan though), and I'm not sure what's the wrong with the Star Wars quote. Is it that there is no maximum velocity (or nearly) in space? Or that a spaceship could not control it's orbiting speed? If it's one of those, it could refer to either the maximum velocity of the vehicle, or, respectively, a vehicle that can moderate its orbiting speed exists in the Star Wars universe.
Whatever your problem with this, it falls under the same category as the "ships making sounds in space" thing; obviously sound cannot travel through space, that isn't the point. If you look at these films as serious science fiction, you are either a poor judge of film or perhaps incensed by the films' popularity so much that it clouds your judgment. These are adventure films in a scifi setting, plain and simple. The fact that they aren't dry and plodding like some "serious" science films, like 2001, is what sets them apart.
-Tom

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Jack,
If you are going to be trivial, the usage of 'parsec' as a measure of time is my favorite.
Being the Star Wars fanboy that I am, I must point out your ignorance. The usage of 'parsec' in A New Hope refers to the Kessel Run. The Kessel Run, in the Star Wars universe, is a smuggling run through a particularly dangerous field of stars and other gravitic anomalies, if I remember correctly. The reason the running of it is measured in distance, not time, is that the closer you get to the gravitic anomalies (in hyperspace, if you get too close to something like a star your ship can be destroyed in the blink of an eye), the more dangerous it is but the less distance you have to travel to get through the field. It's basically just a challenge to see who can plot the tightest course without running into a star or two. Incidentally, there's a man in the bar scene in ANH who actually had already broken Han Solo's record when he mentioned it. Han obviously hadn't heard about it, though
wink.gif
-Tom

James D S

Screenwriter
Tom,
I hear you, and I've created something similiar so that it doesn't disract me too much. My scenario involved an area located in an asteroid belt which, to traverse, would require something more than a straight line and thus longer distance. Han did it in less than average - Or so I assume. But while we are on this petty topic, the unit 'parsec' is such a great distance, that SERIOUS space/time warping would have to occur to alter the total by a whole unit. Just seems a bit flakey and grounded in pure SciFi. Then again, that's why we love it. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
not sure what's the wrong with the Star Wars quote
What's wrong with it is that it's something of an oxymoron. If the Death Star is traveling at its maximum velocity, it can't maintain an orbit. You could say it was moving past the planet at high velocity, but not "orbiting" it.
And responding by saying "who cares about being consistent with the laws of physics? It's only scifi" is exactly the kind of thing that would make Jack roll his eyes and sigh.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks