What's new

am a new svs sub owner (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
My advanced English comp profs used to shred my stuff eight ways from Sunday; it was tragic, really. I had no choice but to improve my writing skills - my submittals had so much red ink, they looked like they had been left at a murder scene. :b

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

Nah, not really... I'm cool w/ it... Whatever they say is all cool... I just state what I think, that's all. About "rub salt in the wound", nah... maybe just a lil:D :D :D Then again, he is not wounded ;)

Regards,
Alex

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Oh come on Craig...you're smart enough to know that this would be true and why. Sealed vs vented...I'm surprised the Tempest was only 5db stronger at 20hz.

- Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Alright, SVS Ron. It's usually Tom I have issues with but today it's you...

There was a time when SVS wasn't reviewed by an accomplished reviewer. Does that mean that up until that time SVS was a joke compared to subs that were already out there selling?

Just remember where you at SVS came from. Because when you've forgetten completely is when someone is going to come along and turn YOU into yesterday's subwoofer.

- Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

You've got it wrong. I wasn't bashing SVS, just Ron.

Seriously, I hope what I wrote didn't come across as a "bash" per se. I've heard a few SVS subs, built some using their older drivers...a fine product to be sure. But they also seem to have the biggest ego's of anyone I've ever encountered. SVS is a great product but the alpha and the omega of all things bass they are not. And NO ONE is. It wasn't a bash, more a reminder of their roots. I like to think they know them...but sometimes...

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Dan - Both the Tempest referred to by Alex and the Tumult subwoofer tested by Noussaine were sealed designs...

Want to try again about how smart I am ?

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
"You've got it wrong. I wasn't bashing SVS, just Ron"

I hope that is not allowed in this forum but it seems to have changed since 3 years ago.

"But they also seem to have the biggest ego's of anyone I've ever encountered"

So you why tell Ron, just cause he makes good subs that ppl will almost kill for, doesnt mean he is a bad person, it should be great for advertising :) And as far as what Ron says about his subs, well you show me a company that isnt biased about their products. And that is more of the reasnon of my previous statement,"See Alex_P, here at the HTF, we can bash companies, just not individuals." because when ppl bash ppl online, its a waste of effort but when a company gets bashed, they may lose sales and hopefully they figure out what they ae doing wrong and fix it.

Just trying to keep things clean.

"And even then SVS were just the best subs available"
So you agree with those who own SVS's, are you jealous?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how my personal interests outside of the audio world have been dragged into this thread...but...

>>>Piece of cake in design. And I'll build it too...it'll take me longer because I don't have the super shop you do but I'm also a lowly broke college student that works in a restaraunt to get by.>>Ya'll had a good bit of resources before you even opened SVS for business.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Tom... My brother's company has gotten a very good reputation in the pro audio field for being able to deliver EAW quality for less than 1/2 the price. They have a 10,000 square foot facility, a fairly inexpensive labor pool, and overall low overhead...

He is scratching his head over how you do the pb2-isd for $899 ... I told him you guys are actually a front for an Olive Oil importing business...

Now, do me a favor and go yell at someone to get my B4+ done...;)

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Dan,

You may have felt Ron was being arrogant (while others may have felt he was defending his work) that’s your prerogative, and calling him out for that is your privilege. I do, however, take issue with two things:

I don’t think anywhere in this thread it was doubted that given the intelligence, skill, time, money, and commitment, that a DIYer couldn’t build a sub to match, if not best, a PCi (though there has been questions as to how much of those things are required). Perhaps I’m wrong, but it sounded to me that Ron’s now infamous ‘country mile’ challenge was directed at Alex. Based solely on Alex’s posts, it’s a valid challenge (as is detailing time, materials, hardware, etc. of his DIY sub, and what equipment and processes he used to reach his performance claims of said sub). The only responses to the challenge(s) so far consist of “I’m rubber, you’re glue”-type defenses and silly taunts.

Also, you implied the success of SVS is at least in part because one or both of the partners comes from money (or at least more money than their competition). While that’s probably false, it doesn’t matter, and that insinuation is inappropriate. Whatever problems you have with Tom (you didn’t go into specifics) you owe him an apology for that.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks