What's new

Always read the fine print ;-) (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
This brings up something about which I have always wondered: why do drug ads not clearly state what they are supposed to do? After watching a drug commercial on TV, I still wouldn't know if the pill is supposed to help with your depression, your smoking, your obesity, your limp winkie, or whatever.

How can I ask my doctor if "such and such" is right for me if I dunno what the hell it does?

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
In my opinion, and I just recently developed this opinion, the powers that be, in this case drug companies and doctors, want to prove their superiority to us mortals by making us ASK for stuff and then telling us we can't have it or it's not right for us.

I'm still working on this opinion, tho. When I formulate the final version, I'll get back to you.

MC

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
because the same drug can affect 2 people COMPLETELY differently. They've actually used drugs, that are meant for one purpose, and have tried using it to cure another purpose.

If you've ever been on 'mood' medication, you'll quickly find that there are TONS of different ones out there. They all do the EXACT same thing, but they react differently with each individual, so the Dr.'s job is to figure out which one works with that person, the best.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

It's because for the same reason why they list out possible side effects - lawsuits.

If they claim their drug does something in an ad, and it doesn't work for one person, and that person sues, they can simply point to the ad and say, "See, they say their drug WILL do this. I want my money!!!"

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It is my understanding that, legally, any ad that tells you specifically what the drug does must also list side-effects. Since a long list of side-effects sounds very bad in a commercial, they avoid this by not specifically saying what the drug does. The TV ad then serves as just a method of getting the name out there.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
You also have to remember those are possible side-effects. If even a very small portion of users experience them they will be listed. Like Mark said, we are different and our bodies react to chemicals differently.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Yes, Mike is correct. If they tell you what it does specifically, then they must all list all the possible side effects. Since every one seems to include anal leakage or something similarly disgusting, usually they are inclined to just insinuate waht it does and let you figure it out.

It's hard to sell an allergy medicine when you immediately warn of anal leakage (no thanks, I'll take the nasal leakage I've already got :D)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Some medication CAN cause death and since that would be a bad thing to mention in a commerical....;)

p.s. Seriously, my old boss had this medication for her daughter and one of the "side effects" was death!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks