What's new

Alright car gurus, need your help--- (1 Viewer)

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I haven't driven the Z06 but there is no denying that it is an awesome performer. The thing about Corvettes is that they all look alike. There are very few body styling modification to differentiate a Z06 from any other Corvette. The interior feels very cheap. It seems all of Chevy/GM cars use a lot of cheap plastic for their interiors. My brother just bought his M3 yesterday so we can't let it loose just yet (1200 mile break in). Can't wait to be amazed!!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
How about the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII? Or the Subaru Impreza WRX? Why should you just have fun on the highways? Both of those cars will beat most of what out there on the road and then after they eat your asphalt you can make them eat your dust as you drive off road to take that sweet LA Woman to a secluded spot for a glass of wine to celebrate your victory.

KeithR

Second Unit
Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I knew there were some car people on this site...and shopping for cars is definitely more fun than audio or video :)
Guys, what about a 98-99 used M3? I know it's not as good as the new one, but 50k is mighty steep and BMW rapes you on leases (the only way i could afford it). A used M3 is in the 30k range, and would be pretty sweet. I am looking into a new 330ci, but it is really pricy for only 200hp, and stuff like leather seats is still a 1400 option! What a rip...I guess that BMW name is pretty expensive to have on a car :) I do agree that for the most part they don't depreciate as badly, so buying new would be the way to go on a bimmer. Paying sticker is a bitch and still bothers me....Vettes are going for 5k under sticker right now, and a 2-year old Vette is around 32k.
That said, I really would like to just put 10k down and finance the rest, as I have large bonuses coming in Feb the next two years that will pay the thing off. Also, with driving in LA, and driving out to see clients, I anticipate more than 12k miles a year...leasing is looking less and less appealing...
Keep it going!

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
There are very few body styling modification to differentiate a Z06 from any other Corvette
Other than that fact that a Z06 is only avalible as a Hardtop while normal vettes are either hatchbacks or verts. The front may look the same, after all it is the same car. But the rear of the car is totally different.

This of course is only one of the cosmetic differences. The original intent of the Z06 was to make a direct showroom-to-track autocrosser. there are a lot of under the skin mod.s that inprove its performance over and above the higher horsepower engine.

I'm no expert on M3s, but I would venture to say that all M3s look the same too.

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Don't go for the previous generation (E36) style M3. A current gen (E46) 330ci will nearly match the performance of the older M3.
If you want a BMW, a car that is a year or two old offers the best value (actually true for almost all cars). You avoid paying luxury taxes, and you pay something closer to the value of the car. BMW's hold their value very well.
Check out Edmunds for everything you ever wanted to know about buying cars, and for lots of good reviews, too. For the best reviews, check out Car and Driver.
FYI, both Edmunds and Car and Driver consistently rate the BMW as the best in it's class, and the car they would most like to own.
I've heard that Cutter BMW in Santa Barbara offers some of the best deals in the nation on BMW's, so that might be a good place to buy new.

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:

"I'm no expert on M3s, but I would venture to say that all M3s look the same too"

Of course all M3's look alike. They are actually 3 series cars with aerodynamics, engine, and suspension modifications. I am aware that the Z06 has a different rear end than standard Vettes but only the people in the know would . While M3's resemble a 330i, when you see one, you will definitely tell that it's (M3) a different special car. I am not bashing the Vette, I've always wanted one, until I drove a BMW.

KeithR: Don't necessarily look at the BMW's horsepower output and consider it a dog. Case in point: The Z06 has a 385HP V8 while an M3 has a 333HP inline 6 yet the Vette is only tenth's of a second faster.

Mark: Motor Trend had an interesting article in which they tested an M3, a Z06 and a Boxter S. The Z06 narrowly beat the M3 in a few tests but in the end the test drivers stated "It's (M3) my pick as the best all-around performance car on the market." It is nice to see an American Made car kick such ass!!!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I agree with Leo: stay away from the previous generation M3. They have 240hp while the current 330Ci has 220hp. Difference: little to none. I also like the looks of the E46 much better than the E36, and the interior has been improved exponentially.

I'll eventually be buying a 330Ci when I graduate, and while they can get expensive ($45,000 fully loaded), if you stick to the basics, you can get one for around $35,000. The only options I'll be getting is the Sport Package (a must have because of the sport seats, wheels, and tires) for $600, the bi-xenon headlamps (check them out at night, as they self-level and self-adjust and are too cool!) for $700, wood trim (the pluminum trim looks like crap) for $500, and metallic paint for $475 (I do think it's a rip-off that they charge you extra for metallic paint). With those options, the 330Ci is under $38,000. Forget the leather, as the leatherette looks identical and holds up much better.

Unfortunately, you won't get much off MSRP (maybe $1000 or $1500 at most), because BMWs are in such high demand (they had a 14% sales increase in '01 and figures are even stronger for '02).

The extra 113 hp of the M3 is certainly nice, as you can then race Corvettes and waste the non-turbo Porsches, but for a daily driver, and a $20,000 savings, the 330Ci is plenty fast.

Leo is also right about Cutter BMW in Santa Barbara. I've heard a lot of good things about them and will probably be purchasing from them.

Also, BMWs seem to actually appreciate! Take a look at dealers' lots with year old, 15,000 mile cars: they're MORE than brand new ones!

KeithR

Second Unit
Thanks for the excellent comments on the E36 M3. Right now, I am thinking 330ci or Vette--and I just found as you guys mentioned some dealerships on the east or west coast where you can get the E46 1500 or little less over invoice.
I agree Justin, I priced out about the same car you did (before i read this thread)--no premium package, leatherette (i saw the leater at the show and wasn't impressed at all), and the sports package. I will add a moonroof, xenon lights, and call it a day. Right at 39k, so probably 37k drive out price. M3 prices out at 49k, so a 10k decision. A buddy of mine says to just get the 330ci, as I will not ever need/use the additional power...
Now it is off to drive them, so I can see what I like...I have a feeling one or the other is going to blow me away and make the decision easy. :)

Scott H

Supporting Actor
KeithR,

You may be all over this, but as an LA person I'll throw it out there... Check into insurance rates for the different models. Rates can vary radically out here by city/neighborhood and auto make/model.

KeithR

Second Unit
Jason,
I am actually traveling to Dallas for a long weekend on the 18th and will do all my test driving then (i wish it could be sooner!). It will be easier in Dallas than here in the city to get some quality time behind the wheel. Unless I got out further in Jersey (requiring a rental basically), it is tough to do here.
Scott, thanks for the LA insurance heads up. Pretty sure I will live in West Hollywood (convenient to office, lots of bars and lounges, young people around), but isn't cheap to insure. I figure at least my threshold is high now, and if I decide to live in a cheaper to insure area, it will be even nicer. If you got ideas, please let me know!
I just got some pretty scary quotes from State Farm, despite turning 25, and previously insuring with them. My dad is getting me back on his policy, so I can "transfer" it to LA, and MAY not be in the "at risk" pool. That would work real nice, but not holding my breath on it. Right now, looking at 2500 a year no matter what I choose it seems. Sucks, especially since I have a great record. Of course, once I find the car, I will shop insurance around...and go with one of the lower priced alternatives. State Farm from all I hear is one of the lowest---which may just mean welcome to LA :)
BTW, any one got opinions on the Boxster? I am really doubting I need tons of performance, and getting a 99 one isn't too expensive. Love the style, although concerned my 6'2" height may be a problem, as it is in the S2000. (groan, hit my knee bigtime this weekend) Insurance, believe it or not, is cheaper than some alternatives.
Biggest insurance surprise- Acura RSX as costly to insure as BMW 330ci...
Test Drive List so far:
BMW 330ci, Z3, and M3 if I can find one
Audi A4 3.0
Porsche Boxster
Lexus GS300
Chevy Corvette (no z06)
Mercedes SLK, C class, C32 AMG if one is around
Acura RSX
Should be a blast...

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Biggest insurance surprise- Acura RSX as costly to insure as BMW 330ci...
The Acuras and Hondas are popular racers out here. Prob has something to do with it. I have literally seen Farrari against Civic surface street/freeway racing many times... They are also in demand. I have a 95 Civic Coupe EX manual, and while I don't feel as though my insurance has been affected much, the resale value is hilarious in this market - seven years old and only ~$3500 depreciation. A certain movie last year may be a factor too.
Good luck.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Although the M3 lists for only $10,000 more than the 330Ci, dealers typically add at least a $5000 mark-up and $5000 worth of "paint protection," "leather treatment," "preparation fee" and other such bogus charges to get the price up. In essence, the difference in price becomes $20,000.

Regarding insurance rates, 21st Century quoted me the exact same rate for a 330Ci as they did for a Nissan Maxima! The Audi A4 3.0 Quattro was a little less, but not much. I'd imagine the Corvette would have the highest insurance rate.

Drive as many cars as possible and have fun!

Bob-Smith

Agent
"The biggest downfall of the C5 is that since it IS a transaxle, there isn't room for a spare tire. So all 97 and newer vettes must have run-flat tires on them."

The C5 ZO6 Corvette does not have the run-flat tires. They are equipped with a high performance standard sidewall tire, and Chevrolet places a can of Fix-a-Flat in the storage compartment under the trunk floor. This is no joke. Cool, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks