What's new

All-TIME 100 Movies [Time Magazine's 100 Greatest Movies] (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I'm getting sick of these lists too. They always leave out some great movies.

Drunken Master II? :confused:

But I do agree that Pulp Fiction should be considered the best film of the 90's. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
They will always leave out more great movies than they include, unless you believe that there are only 100 great movies.

If you are of the opinion that there are many, many great movies from which to choose, it follows that some great ones will be left off the list--at least I've never made a list that was not subject to valid criticism even by myself, much less than when subjected to such diverse critiques as Brook, George and Jim, to name only three of many forum members who have well thought out views.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Time readers' top movies:

Rating Title
4.59 Schindler's List
4.53 It's A Wonderful Life
4.52 The Lord of the Rings
4.44 Goodfellas
4.44 Star Wars
4.42 Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
4.4 The Godfather, Parts I and II
4.39 The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
4.2 Taxi Driver
4.1 Pulp Fiction
4.07 Singin' in the Rain
4.07 Metropolis
4.07 Notorious
4.03 Brazil
4 A Hard Day's Night
4 Blade Runner
3.98 Finding Nemo
3.79 Nayakan
3.7 Drunken Master II
3.29 The Fly

~T

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
You will never get a 100 list that is spot on. No way in hell.

I say every stop posting now, this can only lead to disgruntled movie goers lol.

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator
I think it was bad enough they named the best of each decade... thank God they didn't number them from best to least!

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
As others have said, since it's basically two people's list, this would qualify more as a favorites list than "grestest" list, despite the title. Looked at that way, the list is just fine. I'm not sure snobbery can be attributed to the list either, with Drunken Master 2 (I'm not ashamed to name this as one of my favorites) and A Touch of Zen on the list.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it was for no other reason than they think Purple Rose of Cairo is Allen's best film?

After hearing Schickel drone on and on in his many deadly dull commentaries (could you please choose someone else as your "go to" film historian/critic Warner?), I wouldn't put much stock in a list by him anyway, though this one isn't necessarily worse than many others I've seen.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
If the lsit gets at least a few people to check out some of the more obscure titles then it's well worth the effort.

My only quibble is with the title, otherwise it's a very interesting list. Call me elitist, but I'm glad they didn't pander to the those who dislike watching foreign films and any movie that doesn't have feel-good ending.

TimJS

Second Unit

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

The Searchers (1956)

Unforgiven (1992)

Aren't Westerns? ;)

I would have thought there would have been a few more, though, & very much agree that I would like to see docs included in the list. Not a bad list, will have to do a search someday & find out if there is a favorite best movie list poll...maybe someone can come up with a top ten list of best film lists...

Tim

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
One could certainly have come up with much better foreign films and non-feel-good-ending films. I don't think this list is elitist at all. Thinking these are the 100 greatest films ever made isn't elitist, it's just weird.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Noooooooo!

This list is pretty pathetic IMO because it's a couple of smirking critics who picked the entries instead of leaving it up to Time magazine readers to vote their 100 greatest movies, at least then we might have had a smattering of Sylvester Stallone classics rubbing shoulders with greats like Chronicles of Riddick and Troy...Adriaaaaaaan!.:D

Claire Panke

Second Unit
The Fly?, Finding Nemo? ET? Those flicks make the 100 best list but these films don't - I Was Born But..., My Darling Clementine, L'Atalante (!), Grand Illusion (!), Rules of the Game (!!!!!!!!!!), The Third Man (!!), The Maltese Falcon, The Sweet Hereafter, The Apartment, Battelship Potemkin (!!), Apu Trilogy (!!!!), and incredibly...NO ARCHERS!!!! Puleaze.

They don't seem to care much for British film apparently - excepting Hitchcock: one Lean, no Leigh, no Boorman, no Reed, no Archers, no Frears, no ...well, you get the picture.

This list is more like the "Anti-Sight & Sound" list than anything else. It wass a kick, I admit, to see a sleeper like Kandahar on and a favorite like Talk To Her make it. But Dodsworth the best film of the 30's????

Never.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Gaah! [Spits] I've a good mind to subscribe to Time and then cancel it in protest. Oh well at least they've got Lean's Lawrence of Arabia in there somewhere, but where's Bridge on the River Kwai, tsk tsk. Hitchcock's Psycho and Notorious are in there but no Rear Window or Vertigo? [bites fist]

But on the plus side they've included a number of films you don't often see in greatest films of all time lists, some of them favorites of mine.;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ah Steve--I've always known that our brothers across the Atlantic had a low opinion of our intelligence. And I'm not sure of the IQ of the average Time reader, so it is possible that they may collectivatly be mislead--but somehow I rather doubt they will.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Everytime I see a thread like this and people gripe about the countless films that are not on such and such list, I think maybe we need to create a list titled "The 500 Films That All MUST Be on a Top 100 List, In Order for That List Not to Suck"

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
:laugh:

(also just read that Sidney Lumet would put Dodsworth as one of his two favorite films; guess he has bad taste)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks