What's new

All-TIME 100 Movies [Time Magazine's 100 Greatest Movies] (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Yawn. These lists are getting so tiresome. I respect the fact that some critics try to mix things up, pick films which aren't normally picked, but The Purple Rose of Cairo is the only Woody Allen film to make the list? Great film, but Annie Hall, Manhattan, Crimes and Misdemeanors , and Bullets Over Broadway are all much more worthy choices for greatest 100 from Woody Allen.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I'm stunned to see that Leolo is on a best 100 list.

I'm not complaining, I LOVE that movie...it's about time that someone else noticed this amazing film! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm also thrilled to see The Singing Detective there, that's another fav of mine that never gets listed...though that's probably because it's a TV mini-series rather than a film.

Another :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: from me.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There's no such thing as a perfect top 100 list, but this one, although it has many great films on it, is pretty pathetic, in what's missing:

The Apartment
Rear Window
Raiders of the Lost Ark
North By Northwest
Vertigo

etc.

I mean c'mon. What's with the lack of love for Hitchcock. :thumbsdown:

Barry Lyndon, but no 2001?!?

The Fly (1986) but no Jaws?!?

Smiles of a Summer Night but no Seventh Seal?!?

That fact that there are some great films on their list, doesn't make it a good list. I usually take these types of lists, and look for films I haven't seen and add them to my to watch list. But given the nature of this list, I think I'll pass.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I just read their choices for the top films of each decade.

Dodsworth the best film of the 30's?!?!?!?

I'm hard pressed to think of anything I've read about film that I disagree more with. The 30's. A decade with films like:

Bringing Up Baby
The Thin Man
Frankenstein
The Bride of Frankenstein
The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps
Gone with the Wind
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
City Lights
Modern Times
It Happened One Night
My Man Godfrey
Alexander Nevsky
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
The Wizard of Oz
Trouble in Paradise
You Can't Take it With You
The Awful Truth
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Goodbye, Mr. Chips
Duck Soup
M
Gunga Din
Twentieth Century
The Blue Angel
Little Caeser
All Quiet on the Western Front
A Nous La Liberte
The Public Enemy
I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang
Top Hat
It's A Gift
Holiday
Ninotchka
The Prisoner of Zenda
Scarface
King Kong
Captain Blood
The Grand Illusion
Angels with Dirty Faces
Stagecoach
Only Angels Have Wings
The Rules of the Game

and tons more, and you give the best film of the decade to Dodsworth?

Now that's pathetic.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
An interesting list but this should be called "Richard Schickel and Richard Corliss's 100 FAVORITE films"

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I certainly appreciate the effort in selecting non-mainstream films, but then this list should have a different title, like Jonathan Rosenbaum's alternate top 100 American films.

I tend to agree with George about the missing titles, and especially about the inclusion of Dodsworth. I've watched approximately 140 films from the 1930s in the past 3 years, and Dodsworth won't even make my top 100 from that decade let alone Top 100 of all time.

...and the lack of "Wizard of Oz" & "Sunset Boulevard" is absolutely alarming.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Whoa the biggest surprise considering how snooty this list is, is the non-appearance of 2001-A Space Odyssey, Seven Samurai and Vertigo. Jackie Chan's Drunken Master II takes the place of Seven Samurai, there's a first, and why not? I shouldn't complain my personal 100 greatest movies list would have been a lot worse than this, where's Lynch's Dune for chrissakes? It would have been in my 100. :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I quite liked Dodsworth, but it would not make my top 100 or the best film of the 30s.

All-in-all, not really that bad a list, even though there is plenty with which to take issue. On the plus side, there is representation from the 20s to current films, there is a wide representation of film styles and genres (though no documentaries or westerns) and the list contains a selection of well-known and not so recognized films from a wide selection of directors.

To disagree with Steve just a bit, I actually consider this an anti-snooty list: for me at least, a common theme is the watchability of all of these movies, The Man with a Camera being the only entry that I find less than enjoyable to just watch (of course I recognize that films like The World of Apu don't appeal to everyone, but for me, still very watchable).

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Seth--L,

I'd like to know why the Time editors didn't include Woody Allen's better-known works such as Annie Hall and Sleeper, both of which was superior to Time's choice.

Mind you, that list has (in my opinion!) a lot of New York City 'elitist' mentality, and that often doesn't match what most Americans like.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
If you look at the initial time reviews a lot of the movies received poor reviews, such as:

Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
Once Upon a Time in the West

I thought that was neat how they included the initial reviews, regardless of whether the movie was reviewed well.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy that BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN made it onto the list. But I'm equally disappointed that THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD didn't.:frowning:

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member

Agreed!
I think it's a pretty good list also...I choose to focus on what's on the list rather than what's not on it.

Most of my favorites are missing too, so what...it isn't my list!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I´m another fan of The Singing Detective and I too was surprised and pleased to note its inclusion.

DavidBC

Second Unit
The Purple Rose of Cairo is in my own top 20, so I'm thrilled to see it here, it's a movie that seems to creep a little higher up the list every time I watch it. The Fly is also in my top 100, it's nice to see it get some respect in a mainstream magazine. Also, any list that has The Bride of Frankenstein, my personal #1, is going to seem OK to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks